hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 246 of 247 FirstFirst ... 146196236243244245246247 LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,920 of 4937

Thread: What are you reading?

I have read a fuuuucking ton of litrpg lately. AMA.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Started on Frank Herbert's Dune triology, must be a decade since I read it.
    Found a nice leather bound hardcover edition with the whole trilogy in it.

This time I'm using the appendix religiously.
    Quite jelly of that hardbound edition. The first 3 books are basically parts 1-4 of the story. It's 100% OK to completely ignore anything subsequent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Am reading "Altered Carbon" after thoroughly and deeply enjoying the TV series.

Re-reading "Ready Player One" as well.

Reading Use of Weapons by Ian Banks

Pretty good so far

Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoes View Post
    Reading Use of Weapons by Ian Banks

Pretty good so far
    Awesome book !!

I am reading : A Primate's Memoir: A Neuroscientist's Unconventional Life Among the Baboons

Pretty good , never tougth I could start to like baboons, it is a bit of a slow one because the author writes a bit much about himself and his adventures in Africa, when I just want to know about the baboons.

Enviado do meu SM-G900F através do Tapatalk

Conn Igguldens “Emperor” series. Good reads, despite some (deliberate) differences from the historical events.

Finally getting around to Red/Green/Blue Mars. I've enjoyed a lot of Kim Stanley Robinson and this is good, but I don't really like the way he does each chapter as a different character it feels very staccato, almost like it was written as a serial.

Surprised by it so far, he's always struck me as "we need to make the most of this planet because it's the one we're adapted to", so the ease of colonisation in Red Mars is unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Finally getting around to Red/Green/Blue Mars. I've enjoyed a lot of Kim Stanley Robinson and this is good, but I don't really like the way he does each chapter as a different character it feels very staccato, almost like it was written as a serial.

Surprised by it so far, he's always struck me as "we need to make the most of this planet because it's the one we're adapted to", so the ease of colonisation in Red Mars is unexpected.
    Red was good.
    Green got confusing, suddenly we have a time jump. Characters don't age/extended life..huh? Got confused and dropped off somewhere in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

Red was good.
    Green got confusing, suddenly we have a time jump. Characters don't age/extended life..huh? Got confused and dropped off somewhere in the book.
    I just started a Frank chapter.
    Me: hmm.... I wonder if anybody has posted anything interesting.

Let me put it this way: wait a bit ... there's three books for a reason.

I commented on my thought's about the Mars Trilogy earlier in this thread. (No spoilers there).

For Malcanis: City of Stairs, City of Blades and City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett. A fantasy world ruled by very arbitrary gods gets one shoved up its butt when one of the have not slaves finds a way to kill them. The story is from the perspective of people trying to clean up the mess afterwards, along with copious back-stabbing and god-revisionism and it's very, very good. The characters are extremely well done and the words paint a vivid picture of the place and setting.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    For Malcanis: City of Stairs, City of Blades and City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett. A fantasy world ruled by very arbitrary gods gets one shoved up its butt when one of the have not slaves finds a way to kill them. The story is from the perspective of people trying to clean up the mess afterwards, along with copious back-stabbing and god-revisionism and it's very, very good. The characters are extremely well done and the words paint a vivid picture of the place and setting.
    If you like cleaning up the mess after the God wars highly recommend Max Gladstone. Really well written and really well executed concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Let me put it this way: wait a bit ... there's three books for a reason.

I commented on my thought's about the Mars Trilogy earlier in this thread. (No spoilers there).
    Yeah, your criticism is fair and pretty much what I'm getting. I don't mind the landscapes as much because they're really the only vehicle he has for pushing the feeling of alienation.

I'm kinda getting that Mars is probably only really a novel of action but a trilogy of world building.

His later stuff is good though: I enjoyed Aurora and Shaman. Both of which really have a single character and are generally tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    go on, top 3 you'd recommend for a start

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    It depends.

My personal favorites are:
    Ascend Online +3 (Luke Chmilenko - well written balanced story, feels relatively realistic plot/characters/worldbuilding and well researched compared to some of the others, plus the MC has literally the same build I'd want to play if I was in a VRMMORPG )
    Euphoria Online 3 (Phil Tucker - high stakes, that only get higher almost to a fault. Most importantly however, it's a series with a beginning, middle and end - and boy what an ending)
    Chaos Seeds 7+ (Aleron Kong - if you read litrpg for the sense of growth and accomplishment, then this series is probably the best, actions have consequences, people matter, and the worldbuilding is literal - not as well written as the others with an MC that's more a fratboy cutout than real character, but it's certainly fun)

Honorable Mentions.
    Stonehaven League +3 (Carrie Summers)
    Emerilia 11 (Michael Chatfield)
    War Aeternus +3 (Charles Dean)
    Gun Meister Online 1 (Noah Barnett)
    Anything by Dakota Krout.

+ Denotes whether or not a series is ended or not.

In general, I tend to prefer the more grounded/realistic characters and settings, and less so Harem lit (Gun Meister being the notable exception), OP indestructible MC, with crazy and nonsensical world building or meta game. Basically, don't stretch my suspension of disbelief too far and you'll do fine.

There are a few series I've purchased but not read yet, may update this recommendation in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Pattern; October 9 2018 at 01:10:52 PM.

I'm kinda getting that Mars is probably only really a novel of action but a trilogy of world building.
    There's lots of interesting ideas in there and he also has some interesting philosophical thoughts to go along with those. I'd wish there were more of those than the landscapes.

His later stuff is good though: I enjoyed Aurora and Shaman. Both of which really have a single character and are generally tighter.
    I haven't read anything else from him so far, but have 2023(?) from him on my to-read list.

TIL that litrpg exists. I'm really curious as to how it "works", will give one of those recommendations above a try.

Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    It depends.

My personal favorites are:
    Ascend Online +3 (Luke Chmilenko - well written balanced story, feels relatively realistic plot/characters/worldbuilding and well researched compared to some of the others, plus the MC has literally the same build I'd want to play if I was in a VRMMORPG )
    Euphoria Online 3 (Phil Tucker - high stakes, that only get higher almost to a fault. Most importantly however, it's a series with a beginning, middle and end - and boy what an ending)
    Chaos Seeds 7+ (Aleron Kong - if you read litrpg for the sense of growth and accomplishment, then this series is probably the best, actions have consequences, people matter, and the worldbuilding is literal - not as well written as the others with an MC that's more a fratboy cutout than real character, but it's certainly fun)

Honorable Mentions.
    Stonehaven League +3 (Carrie Summers)
    Emerilia 11 (Michael Chatfield)
    War Aeternus +3 (Charles Dean)
    Gun Meister Online 1 (Noah Barnett)
    Anything by Aakota Krout.

+ Denotes whether or not a series is ended or not.

In general, I tend to prefer the more grounded/realistic characters and settings, and less so Harem lit (Gun Meister being the notable exception), OP indestructible MC, with crazy and nonsensical world building or meta game. Basically, don't stretch my suspension of disbelief too far and you'll do fine.

There are a few series I've purchased but not read yet, may update this recommendation in a couple of weeks.
    www.royalroad.com is the place I frequent for my litrpg fix, it's a place for amateur writers to get their ideas out and if they're good, people will follow that. Of course, it's riddled with examples of poor writing, grammar, bad characters, cheesy premises and plot devices, but there's absolute gems among them. To my great dismay, quite a few of these gems never get finished. Personally I prefer either a good character-focused story, or if the author is gonna use tropes, he'd better use every single one of them, and go way overboard for comedy effect.

a couple of my favourites, both still on-going:
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/5701/savage-divinity - Savage Divinity - it's very slow paced, and character focused, medieval fantasy. (2-4ch/week)
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15449/quod-olim-erat - Quod Olim Erat - also slow paced, interesting main character, good sci-fi (occasionally gives me a Starship Troopers the Book vibe; 1-2 ch/week)

Also on-going, but very much classic litrpg, and engaging:
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/11...dly-ghosthound - The legend of Randidly Ghosthound - it's top ranked on the site for good reasons. (5-7ch/week, usually all at the same time)

Again, these are amateur authors, some have managed to move on to self-publish on Amazon, or have a Patreon going, with a pretty loyal following, as long as they stay active.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

So, just in the last few weeks:

New Scalzi Interdependency book came out. Smashed it quickly. Felt too short, but he has an easy writing style so maybe that's it.

Found a non-shit military scifi series from Richard Baker. Space-Indian on a Space-English ship, in Space-Arabia, fighting Space-Germans and Space-French. Well, it's more politics than fighting but that's cool.

And new Ann Leckie book hits this month too.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Been perusing Pattern Recognition by William Gibson now and again for some time currently between school readings. Having perused a considerable measure of Neal Stephenson I can see a Gibson's impact/style in those books now.

Need to return to Song of Fire and Ice soon, completed the first a long time prior, have the following three lounging around some place...