hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 56 of 260 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 5183

Thread: What are you reading?

I think the best chapter I have read Ever, in any book or setting, is the one when humans first meet the motiles, when the motiles torture them and wonder why they make all those sounds. Hamilton truly made me believe there is such a race out there somewhere.

As for Night's Dawn, Quinn Dexter is, without a doubt, my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    The bitek stuff is awesome
    Highly recommend Bruce Stirling's Shaper/Machinist works (Shapers are kinda ur-bitek); you can find them in the collection Schismatrix Plus or Crystal Express.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Re:living ships, the Quantum Theif is another good example of one.
    Isn't that ship more highly advanced materials tech + super-intelligent AI rather than biotech? (Or is this a case of a Corollary to Clarke's Law "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from biology? - I can't remember if that was from Stross or Scalzi or merely somebody they referenced... help wanted?)

Also: have you read Hannu Rajaniemi's The Fractal Prince (the Quantum Thief's sequel) yet? It's on my kindle but I'm busy reading other things: is it good?
    Last edited by Kai; January 17 2013 at 08:14:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Isn't that ship more highly advanced materials tech + super-intelligent AI rather than biotech? (Or is this a case of a Corollary to Clarke's Law "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from biology? - I can't remember if that was from Stross or Scalzi or merely somebody they referenced... help wanted?)

Also: have you read Hannu Rajaniemi's The Fractal Prince (the Quantum Thief's sequel) yet? It's on my kindle but I'm busy reading other things: is it good?

Clarke said that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" and Stross overused that in laundry series (well, not exactly if you don't read them ALL one after the other)
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

Quantum thief and it's sequel are ace if a bit "out there". it's closer to poetry than hard Sci-Fi.

I too have just finished re-reading the Judas unchained / Pandora' Star pair. The second is far, far better than the first which is pretty much a skim-read now.

I've now hit that point where I've read everything by everyone I like and nothing new is out. Any sci-ish ideas would be great.
    (read: Hamilton, Stross, banks, Reynolds, Brin, Correy, Mitchell, Asher, Morgan, Rajaniemi, Campbell etc etc ad infinitum)

hmm... i should upload my ebook library at some point.
    Last edited by Itiken; January 17 2013 at 11:22:53 AM.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quantum thief and it's sequel are ace if a bit "out there". it's closer to poetry than hard Sci-Fi.
    Wasn't that "bad" for Quantum Thief, but, yes, Fractal Prince is a bit...strange.

Spoiler:
    I also found the end kinda abrupt, with the "we'll use the previously unknown giant starship to escape" thing. And the Flower Prince being some kinda oh...what? earth spirit? It got a bit too metaphysical and confusing for my tastes at the end.

Any sci-ish ideas would be great.
    Old, not new, but since it is very good - I assume you've already read Dan Simmons Hyperion Books? Vernor Vinge (A fire upon the deep) is also very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by shoki View Post
    Clarke said that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    Jepp. But corrent quote nonwithstanding there would be no major difference between a mechanical being based on silicon and nanotechnology and a carbon based organism. With really advanced tech there likely will be a time when you cannot classify something as only living or only mechanical, but only both at once.
    Last edited by Aramendel; January 17 2013 at 01:54:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shoki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post

Clarke said that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" and Stross overused that in laundry series (well, not exactly if you don't read them ALL one after the other)
    LTR (I bolded the bit where I said it wasn't the original but a Corollary, to help). I assumed everybody ITT would know what Clarke's 3rd Law was. Admittedly, I also stupidly assumed that everybody else ITT would assume that everybody else knows what Clarke's 3rd law is.

Edit: Turns out it was Karl Shroeder(1). And rather than calling it a Corollary (when it isn't) as seems standard practice (even when they aren't); he actually called it a 'revision' (which it is).
    Correctly stated the Shroeder revision of Clarke's 3rd Law is "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature."

Also, that article is actually v. interesting - takes the point Aramendel noted above and runs with it.

@Itiken: those all seem to be writers writing today. Revisit earlier works (although those are probably just in the 'etc etc?'). Alternatively move outside the Sci Fi-ish field. Corey's alter ego 'Daniel Abraham' does excellent second world fantasy (the Long Price Quartet is some of the best fantasy I've read this century). Or - as above - I've recommended some of Warren Ellis's recent work (grunge fiction(?) + criminal). I'd ague that yeah they're not Sci-Fish, but have a lot of the same attitudes in the way they approach societies. Ie replace the 'magic' of the Long Price with 'science' (yup, Clarke is taking a hammering in these posts) and you get a book that is v. reminiscent of Banks (to me). Equally, Crooked Little Vein could have worked as a cyberpunk novel without changing its feel signifcantly.
    Last edited by Kai; January 17 2013 at 01:29:02 PM.

AW: What are you reading?

I would like to point out the lack of Golden Age scifi authors in that list. Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Welles and Huxley among others should be no brainers.
    More contemporary and less science fiction but science and fiction would be Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. An amazing book, I hated the narrator and yet couldn't put it down. Not so contemporary but insanely cool is Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos. First page into the book, he kills almost all of mankind. Great short story in a similar vein is Thomas Pynchon's Entropy. If you are familiar with the physical concept, that will be a sort much better story for you.
    Of course you read Francis Bacon's New Atlantis. First science fiction (arguably ofc). Grab a nice handbook on science fiction literature and go in depth with that one, well worth it. In its historical context it gains so much depth.
    Not science fiction but I enjoyed it was Dionne Brand's What We All Long For. A great read about a few young second generation immigrants living their lives in Toronto. Postmodern literature that is a good read.
    I enjoyed Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr Ripley. A lot. But I read it in the spring during epic weather and the book fueled mit urge to grab my car and drive South to Rome. Would have killed the car though.

Tapapapapatalk
    nevar forget

This reminds me of 1995's Indistinguishable From Magic by Robert L. Forward.

It's kind of sad sometimes to look at not so much older stuff and see how little has been achieved.

I recently found a (german) BluRay from NASA "Dreams of Mankind - Space travel yesterday, today and tomorrow" from 2009 which talked about the three Space Shuttles still in service and how they get replaced in 2014 by Ares rockets and Orion shuttles, with a station on the moon planned in 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstopia
    WHERE IS CCP AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THEM?????

thanks for teh suggestions. i read loads of classics years ago and don't get on with them to well now but there is a good load of stuff to look at there.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Stephen Baxter is another good writer to look at, the Xeelee sequence is particularly weird and cool.

One classic that has aged well is The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. Fucking fuck that's a good book.

Quote Originally Posted by smagd View Post
    This reminds me of 1995's Indistinguishable From Magic by Robert L. Forward.

It's kind of sad sometimes to look at not so much older stuff and see how little has been achieved.
    The future happens either twice as fast or ten times slower than we expect. What it never does is happen at the same speed all over.

If you imagine a person alive on, say, January 17th, 1980, then today is simultaneously deeply familiar and total science fiction.

Sv: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    The bitek stuff is awesome, and I love some of the characters like Joshua Calvert etc, but I found some of the stuff with the possessed people annoying, like that whole Al Capone and Jezebel or whatever her name was bit was just annoying. Also the ending is one of the worst examples of a deus ex machina i've ever seen. It doesn't spoil the enjoyment I can get from going back and reading the rest of the story, but it just sucks that it all basically leads up to "a wizard did it".
    +1 on horrible ending. Felt like he discovered that he had put himself in a corner and just couldn't come up with anything.

:TpTlk:
    Coming soon(tm).

<3 Entrox.

Any sci-ish ideas would be great.
    (read: Hamilton, Stross, banks, Reynolds, Brin, Correy, Mitchell, Asher, Morgan, Rajaniemi, Campbell etc etc ad infinitum)
    John Scalzi.

Ken MacLeod.
    Last edited by Sponk; January 17 2013 at 11:58:45 PM.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    The future happens either twice as fast or ten times slower than we expect. What it never does is happen at the same speed all over.

If you imagine a person alive on, say, January 17th, 1980, then today is simultaneously deeply familiar and total science fiction.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. " -- William Gibson
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    One classic that has aged well is The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. Fucking fuck that's a good book.
    Furry detected

Also authors were not scared of anything in that time, what with "protagonists" performing actual rape etc.

Also very good by the same author The Demolished Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstopia
    WHERE IS CCP AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THEM?????

Rifters trilogy by Peter Watts. Also available online: http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm
    Blindsight by the same author is queued next.

Of that era, I actually prefer Slan (A. E. Van Vogt) to either of Alfred Bester's. I found Bester's overly libertarian protagonists a little too Nietzschean, whereas the Slan characters I found struck a balance I prefer: freedom from oppression, not freedom over society at large.

Edit: or at least that's how I remember it. Reading several reviews of his books, I'm not really sure; I'm tending towards thinking I just didn't like his characters much. (They're not really likable people, and aren't really intended to be).

If you enjoy that style (golden age, libertarian Sci-Fi), try Heinlein obviously (highly recommend Stranger in a Strange Land which I'm sure has been recommended before ITT) and Ray Bradbury (Farenheit 451 is obviously a good place to start, also I'm sure it's been recommended ITT).
    Last edited by Kai; January 18 2013 at 11:24:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sucky View Post
    Rifters trilogy by Peter Watts. Also available online: http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm
    Blindsight by the same author is queued next.
    oh god Blindsight is beyond awesome
    thanks for the free link !
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

I've now hit that point where I've read everything by everyone I like and nothing new is out. Any sci-ish ideas would be great.
    This list is missing Greg Egan. He's a bit physics heavy (very hard sci-fi) usually, but Permutation City and Zendegi are more accessible.
    http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/ is his gloriously old school website.

Edit: (and yeah, blindsight is amazing. Really looking forward to Watt's next one)