hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 55 of 260 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 5183

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbeast View Post
      Spoiler:
    Lan not dying, whereas Egwene died.
      Spoiler:
    That shit was harsh, I was like Egwene nooooooooooooo!!!!!! She's been one of my favourite characters the last few books, so extremely bad ass, I wish she hadn't died. Also maybe she should have taught that new weave she invented to someone before she suicided? That's half the reason why the White Tower isn't as strong as it was, all these Aes Sedai finding weaves but keeping them to themselves for a bit of advantage instead of sharing it with everyone.

Gawyn was kind of a dumbass with attacking Demandred like that, though I feel like he should have been able to kill him with the Bloodknife rings, he's been shown to consistently be an amazing swordsman before, but Demandred is that much better, even with Gawyn having the warder bond and the rings? I don't buy it.

There's too many little moments like that to go through them all, but they were pretty cool. I liked Androl and Pevara's relationship, those two were really interesting characters. The switcheroo with the stedding was pretty sweet.

The ending was kind of cute I guess, if anyone deserves a break and some time off it's Rand. The thing with the pipe maybe it's like the ta'veren stuff he was doing before with the trees and flowers? Although I don't know if he's still ta'veren? I think Jordan probably put that in there as a bit of a troll, to keep internet theorists busy, he's said he likes to keep some things ambiguous for that very reason.

+ to put that stuff (also posts 1080-1082) in spoiler tags, I would have been quite pissed if I hadn't already read it.

Spoiler:
    Considering how many chars came back from the dead in that book having a major one die is a good thing, otherwise it would have been too predictable.

My own nitpicking is this:
    - The evil overlord is immortal
    - He gets imprisoned again and again (aka at least once every wheel turn)
    - His own power is required to imprison him again

Considering this, shouldn't he eventually learn that his top #1 priority is to avoid giving youthful hero access to his own power?
    Last edited by Aramendel; January 14 2013 at 04:34:45 PM.

Finally properly started on Hydrogen Sonata. Think my initial reluctance to do so has been made to feel like a derp in my own head 'Boo, no minds in the first chapter!' Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Am reading: "Through struggle, the stars" on my nexus 7. So far seems like good hard scifi. Kinda like the Honor Harrington books, but without the soap opera.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramendel View Post
    + to put that stuff (also posts 1080-1082) in spoiler tags, I would have been quite pissed if I hadn't already read it.

Spoiler:
    Considering how many chars came back from the dead in that book having a major one die is a good thing, otherwise it would have been too predictable.

My own nitpicking is this:
    - The evil overlord is immortal
    - He gets imprisoned again and again (aka at least once every wheel turn)
    - His own power is required to imprison him again

Considering this, shouldn't he eventually learn that his top #1 priority is to avoid giving youthful hero access to his own power?
      Spoiler:
    Maybe, although we only know what happened one turn before, up to the Age of Legends. The infinite nature of the wheel of time is more a thematic thing imo. Anyway, this time Rand did it better than Lews Therin did, there's no vulnerable seals to break and Saidin isn't tainted. Presumably someone in the future could still go and open another bore, but hopefully they would keep better records telling people not to fucking do that.

I mean you could go and say back when Mierin opened the bore the first time, that it had been sealed before, and they'd forgotten the dark one etc etc, but then you just get into infinite recursive wibbly wobbly timey wimey shit.

I do like the idea that the reason Rand couldn't kill the Dark One is because there has to be evil in the world, for good to stand out. Yin/Yang etc, it makes sense. Kind of reminds me of in the Matrix when Agent Smith is talking about how they created a perfect world but the human mind wouldn't accept it.

"Unseen Academicals" by Terry Pratchett (For pleasure)

"Neurological Rehabilitation" by Darcy A. Umphred (for uni)

I need to get like three Discworld novels I haven't read yet. Too bad there's not going to be (m)any more

There will be, but they'll be by his daughter. Though I doubt she'd be as good or prolific, as she's more into plot writing for games.

Just finished his latest (Snuff). Really enjoyed it and I get the feeling his latter City Watch novels (basically the ones since Sam junior has been born) have been portraying Vimes as more badassed and have been slightly harder edged. Neither evolution has taken away from how much i've enjoyed the novels. Quite the contrary. "Night Watch" stood out even though I was put off by the premise somewhat
      Spoiler:
    Vimes goes back in time and makes sure his younger self doesn't turn into a corrupt copper
    because time travel seems to make for really good or really shitty novels as it's an easy concept to screw up.

I actually consider Night Watch to be his best Non-Death novel to be honest. It was that defining point between where AM goes from being medieval to starting to become industrialised. Going from 'pure' fantasy into steampunk lite is a hard one to achieve, but its worked so far.

thank you, whoever recommended peter f hamilton.
    he could do with a few less adverbs and adjectives but other than that, very good read.
    just finished pandora's star and judas unchained. now starting on the void trilogy.

Read 'Fallen Dragon' first. My favourite Hamilton by far. And a stand alone - so you don't have to chew through the mass of the Void trilogy for the pay-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Read 'Fallen Dragon' first. My favourite Hamilton by far. And a stand alone - so you don't have to chew through the mass of the Void trilogy for the pay-off.
    Since he's already read Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained, he might as well continue with the Void Trilogy, since they are both set in the same universe, and contain many of the same characters.

EDIT: Could read Manhattan in Reverse before Void I guess, although strictly speaking it isn't necessary - nice collection of stories though
    Last edited by Snottus; January 15 2013 at 12:40:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snottus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Since he's already read Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained, he might as well continue with the Void Trilogy, since they are both set in the same universe, and contain many of the same characters.

EDIT: Could read Manhattan in Reverse before Void I guess, although strictly speaking it isn't necessary - nice collection of stories though
    You're probably right. Read Fallen Dragon immediately after reading the Void trilogy.

Also, just started on Warren Ellis' Gun Machine. I don't usually read crime, but loved Crooked Little Vein, so thought I'd try it. Awesome start - love the main character.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Dartzap View Post
    Finally properly started on Hydrogen Sonata. Think my initial reluctance to do so has been made to feel like a derp in my own head 'Boo, no minds in the first chapter!' Yeah, I'm an idiot.
    Waiting for paperback

Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Fallen Dragon is good, but whatever you do don't read Misspent Youth, really bad book by his standards. I can never decide which I like more out of the Night's Dawn trilogy or the Commonwealth Saga. I really need to get something signed by him, my aunt and uncle live in the same village as him.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    Fallen Dragon is good, but whatever you do don't read Misspent Youth, really bad book by his standards. I can never decide which I like more out of the Night's Dawn trilogy or the Commonwealth Saga. I really need to get something signed by him, my aunt and uncle live in the same village as him.
    +1 to avoid Misspent Youth.

Personally I like the Night's Dawn trilogy more. The Commonwealth humanity feels too much like a slightly changed copy of the Nights Dawn Humanity IMO. Plus the living starships / biotechnlology in Nights Dawn was really unique and something which I haven't seen yet in other books.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramendel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    +1 to avoid Misspent Youth.

Personally I like the Night's Dawn trilogy more. The Commonwealth humanity feels too much like a slightly changed copy of the Nights Dawn Humanity IMO. Plus the living starships / biotechnlology in Nights Dawn was really unique and something which I haven't seen yet in other books.
    Indeed - I was never really a fan of "living spaceships", until I read Night's Dawn that is. However, I do prefer the setting and story of the Commonwealth saga more, since Night's Dawn is.. Well, a little "out there" if you know what I mean

The bitek stuff is awesome, and I love some of the characters like Joshua Calvert etc, but I found some of the stuff with the possessed people annoying, like that whole Al Capone and Jezebel or whatever her name was bit was just annoying. Also the ending is one of the worst examples of a deus ex machina i've ever seen. It doesn't spoil the enjoyment I can get from going back and reading the rest of the story, but it just sucks that it all basically leads up to "a wizard did it".

I find the struggle between the primes and humanity really involving, I love all the battles above the planets with the wormhole generators and the ships etc. MorningLightMountain has to be one of the best depictions of a completely alien consciousness ever.

Yeah. I still remember the pins and needles I got when I was reading about the wormhole battle vs morning light mountain as the humans were watching it all unfold live. Peter F Hamilton at his best.

Re:living ships, the Quantum Theif is another good example of one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    at least we're not Greece.