hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 256 of 256 FirstFirst ... 156206246253254255256
Results 5,101 to 5,114 of 5114

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #5101
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,430
    I loved Kraken. It's one of his best IMO.

    So long ago though that mostly just the impressions remain.

  2. #5102
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,731
    It's very different in tone from, well, just about everything else he's done. It feels like he wondered if he could write a 'Magic London' novel like just about every other UK writer was doing about that time and decided to find out.

    For me it's by no means his best work, but it's amusing and engaging enough if you take it on its own terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  3. #5103
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It's very different in tone from, well, just about everything else he's done. It feels like he wondered if he could write a 'Magic London' novel like just about every other UK writer was doing about that time and decided to find out.

    For me it's by no means his best work, but it's amusing and engaging enough if you take it on its own terms.
    I do like 'magic london' as a sub-sub-genre, so there's that.

  4. #5104
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,731
    I've just re-read Jingo and boy does it feel pertinent.

    It's not the book of Pratchett's that gets the most attention, for some reason, probably because it makes people feel attacked and uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  5. #5105
    Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Posts
    17,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I've just re-read Jingo and boy does it feel pertinent.

    It's not the book of Pratchett's that gets the most attention, for some reason, probably because it makes people feel attacked and uncomfortable.
    Jingo is fucking amazing, currently re doing nightswatch again, just finished thief of time for the hundredth time


    Butthole
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

  6. #5106
    Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Posts
    17,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It's very different in tone from, well, just about everything else he's done. It feels like he wondered if he could write a 'Magic London' novel like just about every other UK writer was doing about that time and decided to find out.

    For me it's by no means his best work, but it's amusing and engaging enough if you take it on its own terms.
    I do like 'magic london' as a sub-sub-genre, so there's that.
    Neverwhere by Neil gaiman is best magic London


    Butthole
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

  7. #5107
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Neverwhere by Neil gaiman is best magic London
    Confirming.

  8. #5108
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Neverwhere by Neil gaiman is best magic London
    Confirming.
    You're not wrong... But there's enough magic in London to go around.

    Alex Verus is good light reading and Rivers of London is just phenomenonially good for what feels like an authentic take on modern London (to someone who doesn't live there).

  9. #5109
    Ashaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 29, 2011
    Posts
    3,994
    My latest haul from a trip into town:
    Moebius, Frank Miller and William Gibson.

  10. #5110
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,430
    I'm reading the new Neal Stephensen: Fall, or Dodge in Hell.

    Very cerebral. Would recommend.

  11. #5111

    Join Date
    November 30, 2014
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I'm reading the new Neal Stephensen: Fall, or Dodge in Hell.

    Very cerebral. Would recommend.
    Be interested to hear your opinions once you finish it.

  12. #5112
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,430
    Doubt they'll change. Reminiscent of Cryptonimicon (which it references) in that it takes a central technical idea and spins it into a novel.

    Very interesting and got me learning about concepts I didn't know anything about (q.f. the cerebral pun in my last post).

    Only issue I have is the characters. Because of the structure you bounce between a different main POV characters over each part of the book, and with the way it's written I find that I'm less engaged with them than I'd like to be.

    I'd say it's amongst the better post-Cyberpunk I've read of the 20teens.

  13. #5113
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Doubt they'll change. Reminiscent of Cryptonimicon (which it references) in that it takes a central technical idea and spins it into a novel.

    Very interesting and got me learning about concepts I didn't know anything about (q.f. the cerebral pun in my last post).

    Only issue I have is the characters. Because of the structure you bounce between a different main POV characters over each part of the book, and with the way it's written I find that I'm less engaged with them than I'd like to be.

    I'd say it's amongst the better post-Cyberpunk I've read of the 20teens.
    I'm an enormous fan of most of Stephenson's work, to the point that I even bought his collection of shorts Some Remarks a while back and regularly go back to read from it (the story for Wired about intercontinental cable laying is one of the most delightful things ever written for a magazine, imo). But I just haven't been as engaged with his most recent work - Reamde is still pretty great, but Seveneves seemed to just be lacking something, even though the premise was fascinating and very well developed. I got started on Fall but found my interest trailing off, I dunno if it's me but if feels like the spark that made his earlier work so much damn fun isn't quite there anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  14. #5114
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,977
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •