hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 258 of 260 FirstFirst ... 158208248255256257258259260 LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,160 of 5183

Thread: What are you reading?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    After finishing the first three Dune books again I am trying again to God Emperor.

I just can't get into it. I'm not feeling it. What is wrong with me
    Nothing is wrong. Your tastes have changed since you first read them, therefore you don't have the same reaction.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

God Emperor is an impressive effort by Hebert, but it isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Nothing is wrong. Your tastes have changed since you first read them, therefore you don't have the same reaction.
    The main character being literally a mobile dick(head) doesn't help either. I'll soldier on but I feel that peak was Messiah really, albeit having been the shortest.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Latest Joe Abercrombie book out. Very Very good as usual

After finishing the first three Dune books again I am trying again to God Emperor.

Don't worry. There are famous and universally praised books/authors I personally find aren't entertaining at all. Dune being one of the book series. Terry Pratchet and Douglas Adams are these kind of authors for me.

I've been a fan of Reynolds, and the RevSpace universe for ever.
    This is a tour de force, stunningly good.

It works as a standalone if you don't fancy wading through 2500 pages of Opera to get to this (Inhibitor) phase.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Thanks, didn't realise that was out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Don't worry. There are famous and universally praised books/authors I personally find aren't entertaining at all. Dune being one of the book series. Terry Pratchet and Douglas Adams are these kind of authors for me.
    I feel like Dune, Messiah and Children of Dune have been written very well, with a lot of thought put into them. On the other hand, God Emperor of Dune seems to be telegraphed a bit (at least at the start, hence why I'm going to try to see if it gets better). I had a look at the story up to and including Chapterhouse Dune and I find it a bit retarded. Sure, ghola everything, destroy Dune, make a new Dune - after it was already postulated the damn worms won't grow anywhere else, now suddenly they can - I mean the old man is contradicting himself in writing those. I feel like it was like a sort of editorial deal - bruh, first three Dune books sold incredibly well, we need more Dune - and it backfired. And it isn't a plan within a plan within a plan like in the first three books, it just feels like "random bullshit go" and lots of things being thrown at the reader in the hope something sticks. I remember I read books like this previously (don't remember their names, I wonder why) and didn't enjoy the experience.

Regarding Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, I always wanted to start on Discworld. I have The Hitchhiker's Guide and read through it -> I feel both these authors require a specific state of mind to be able to be actually enjoyed. I know I came across bits and pieces of their writings and I really found them interesting but as soon as I'd set to read the book my enthusiasm would fizzle out - I think mainly because I usually read when I want to disconnect from the online world and stuff and there's usually a serious motive behind that - I usually don't feel great. I'll definitely try and read them when I'm in an appropriate state of mind to see if their books suck me in as I feel they should.

after it was already postulated the damn worms won't grow anywhere else
    Long time since I read the books now, but iirc that was stated by characters/in the plot, not as an immutable fact of the universe, so it is not inconceivable for the characters to have had imperfect knowledge in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    Just finished "Use of weapons" by Iain Banks (the Culture series)

Good stuff
    is that the one with meatfucker?
    No, that's Excession.

Use of weapons is the one with Diziet Sma her offensive drone and the chair maker.
    Ah yes, the one with the twist that I, honestly, didn't see coming.

(Elethiomel is a cool name, would name my son that, 100%)

Incidentally, that's about where I'm at RE: Banks' culture books - I have about 4 more ready to go, but had to take a breather.
    I threw the book across the room at that twist.

I then walked over, picked it up, finished it and tried to get a hold of the another Banks book immediately.

If you like watching Monty Python, you're in the right state of mind to read Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post
    Long time since I read the books now, but iirc that was stated by characters/in the plot, not as an immutable fact of the universe, so it is not inconceivable for the characters to have had imperfect knowledge in the matter.
    Yeah, I was gonna add a comment but the collection of answers in https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...-other-planets does a better job.
    Last edited by August; September 23 2021 at 06:00:58 PM.

If you like watching Monty Python, you're in the right state of mind to read Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.
    That's actually a good one since I don't always enjoy Monty Python but when I do it's glorious.

It never really clicked with me either. Just leave it at the first three IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Armyofme View Post
    That book cover design really deserve some recognition on it's own

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Just finished "Use of weapons" by Iain Banks (the Culture series)

Good stuff
    is that the one with meatfucker?
    No, that's Excession.

Use of weapons is the one with Diziet Sma her offensive drone and the chair maker.
    Ah yes, the one with the twist that I, honestly, didn't see coming.

(Elethiomel is a cool name, would name my son that, 100%)

Incidentally, that's about where I'm at RE: Banks' culture books - I have about 4 more ready to go, but had to take a breather.
    I threw the book across the room at that twist.

I then walked over, picked it up, finished it and tried to get a hold of the another Banks book immediately.
    With that twist the book was put down, had a 'boom' moment, finished the book and re-read it again straight away in case there were signs i missed. Damn, that was an excellent book.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post
    Iirc its 10.000 years after they said that they find a way and only thanks to Worms 2.0.

I find chapter house Dune one of the best myself.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

I've read some really light sci fi.

First was Earth Interstellar: Proxy War by Scott Olen Reid, really enjoyed that book. It's not particularly deep or complex, but it was quite fun reading it through in a day or so like a mindless action flick.

Second one I started was the frontlines series starting with 'Terms of Enlistment' by Marko Kloos. I really enjoy the setting and the story. Just really enjoy it, re-reading book 2 again.

Any other sci fi action flicks anyone could suggest?

If you want mindless action flick SF, the Jack Campbell Lost Fleet series is specifically that
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.