hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 243 of 245 FirstFirst ... 143193233240241242243244245 LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 4897

Thread: What are you reading?

Nah I meant the first half that's about the moon exploding and then how it has the second part that's about the stuff that happens after that.

Personally I found it easier to think of it as two distinct (but related) stories rather than 1 continuous one. But it is actually only 1 novel.

If you haven't already though, read Ananthem. It's just as mind blowingly cool Science!
    Last edited by Kai; April 13 2018 at 12:10:58 PM.

Right ok. Would love seveneves 2. Maybe in 2020 at his writing Speed of the original. Will try Ana.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Has anyone read Samanta Schweblin's Fever Dream (nominated for the Booker a few years ago.) This was the article that put me onto it. https://lithub.com/samanta-schweblin...rough-fiction/

Gonna order it today if no-one has horrific stuff to say about it. Also other books, but I have no clue which.

Just finished re-reading The Wizard / The Knight by Gene Wolfe. Very Wolfian in its voice, so if you like that (I do) you'll enjoy this reconstruction of the arthurian stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Apart from the lit journals I'm reading I finished two books in the past few days, Samanta Schweblin's Fever Dream and Beckett's Murphy.

Fever Dream was pretty decent. It's a rather visceral book, not entirely in the descriptive elements but more in mood. It's very in the moment and quite real. A woman is dying, for some reason, and a child sits at her bedside in the clinic asking her to remember what brought her here and recount her story. As he does this he tells her what is and isn't important to her story, which is a rather dark one of disfigurement and poisoning in a small South American town (although it could be anywhere warm and sunny.) In a lot of ways it's a story about mothers and children, and in other ways it's about what we give to the future. I think I pretty much finished it off in one sitting. There's strong themes running throughout that take the entire story to come to fruition, and unlike other stories I've read it really nails them on the head, at least in suggesting possibilities to the reader and asking questions. If you can pick it up cheap I'd recommend it if any of my review speaks to you. A nice book, definitely meriting its award nominations, that isn't about a nice topic in any way.

Murphy is quite literally the funniest book I've read in well over a decade. There were parts of it where I was laughing out loud, and that happened quite often. It's basically the story of Murphy, who traipses about London having a grand aul time with his girlfriend, and escaping his girlfriend (and very often the entire world,) while some people from Ireland hunt him down because of promises he made to them. A huge amount of the wordplay and references went flying over my head, but that didn't detract from the book as it's probably a story you could spend years in a university poring over. It deals with some very interesting topics about the nature of pleasure, purpose, etc. But it more presents a viewpoint, what must have been a talking point at the time, and lets the story play out as a message on them. One review I read about it after said that the reviewer had a very hard time appreciating a lot of the prose, the redundancy (as it were) and the repetition. Until he stopped reading in his proper English tone of voice and started imagining a dirty Paddy talking the words. Maybe this is valid, I don't know because I'm a dirty Paddy, but to me the language was very much in tune with my own state of mind. Possibly why I found it so funny. Murphy is a must read for me, genuinely one of the best books I've ever read and definitely one of the funniest.

The Art of Not Being Gouverned by James C. Scott and Creation by Gore Vidal. Both books have been on my list for quite some time.

To manage a lack of Game of Thrones on TV this year, I'm currently reading A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by GRRM, which is a collection of 3 novellas featuring two characters - a knight and his young squire - on their travelling adventures around Westeros, set about 80 years before the main series of novels. Without all the different viewpoints and character arcs of the main novels (all of which I read a few years ago), it's actually a refreshingly easy read but no less enjoyable.

Dunk and Egg are really good characters. Egg becomes one of the few actually decent Targaryen kings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ISTR they still both get murdered off-screen, because GRRM
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Dunk and Egg are really good characters. Egg becomes one of the few actually decent Targaryen kings.

Pretty certain he doesn't.
      Spoiler:
    He ends up being the Maester at castle black AFAIK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

Spoiler:
    Aegon not Aemon.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

Spoiler:
    Aegon not Aemon.

Fucking inbreds, how are we supposed to tell them apart?

My bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Aegon, Aeron, Aerion, Aemon.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence is fantastic continuation of his latest series.

I have also been reading a chinese translation Reincarnation of the strongest sword god by lucky old cat , and while the translation is really terrible the book is still a good read if you play mmorpgs

Finished Andy Weir's latest, Artemis. Was okay. Slightly more YA than I expected but whateverrr.

I am reading Humans Fuck Yeah fanfic from reddit and it's better than anything David Weber wrote.

Deathworlders is amazing. It's fucking long tho and work in progress. You have some other decent stories there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    I am reading Humans Fuck Yeah fanfic from reddit and it's better than anything David Weber wrote.
    Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

some of it's ok
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Just finished the player of games by Ian Banks

Great book. Slow start but I was hooked by the end.

Jack Reacher books.

A bit like eating Big Mac's tbqh. Not good for you in any real way, but oddly enjoyable when the mood strikes.