hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 259 of 260 FirstFirst ... 159209249256257258259260 LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,180 of 5183

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #5161
    Takeshi Nuwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    42
    Frontline series only keeps getting better IMO. My only gripe is that the last published book (Orders of Battle) feels like the prologue to the next book which will be out 2022...

    Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson. Somewhat goofy & gets repetitive a few books in, but nice fast food.

    With some caveats: Neal Asher's Polity Universe books. The first book of the main series (Gridlinked) unfortunately is a convoluted mess, and overall it feels like a less talented grimdark version of Iain M. Banks. Once Asher hits his groove a few books in the series becomes pretty great (still grimdark AF tho).

  2. #5162

    Join Date
    April 16, 2011
    Posts
    274
    I will give a vote for Neal Asher too, especially the later books as mentioned.

    Recently I read the Bobiverse Series by Dennis E. Taylor and it is one of the most interesting series I've read in a while. It explores a load of interesting ideas and takes the perspective of what is essentially an intelligent Von Neuman probe.

    Edit:

    And just for good measure, The Three-Body Problem series is very good as well. I might have mentioned it before but it is worth repeating. Very interesting story about first contact and the Fermi paradox.
    Last edited by Renox; September 27 2021 at 06:40:48 PM.

  3. #5163

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi Nuwen View Post
    Frontline series only keeps getting better IMO. My only gripe is that the last published book (Orders of Battle) feels like the prologue to the next book which will be out 2022...

    Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson. Somewhat goofy & gets repetitive a few books in, but nice fast food.

    With some caveats: Neal Asher's Polity Universe books. The first book of the main series (Gridlinked) unfortunately is a convoluted mess, and overall it feels like a less talented grimdark version of Iain M. Banks. Once Asher hits his groove a few books in the series becomes pretty great (still grimdark AF tho).
    Yeah agree on that, orders of battle was frustrating for that one.

  4. #5164

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,059
    I've enjoyed the Ice Moon series by Brandon Q. Morris.

    It's labeled as "Hard SciFi", but has some esoteric things going on. I personally didn't mind it, but I could understand if others dislike that aspect of it. The plots itself are entertaining, but nothing groundbreaking.

    What distinguish them from other books though is that every book closes with multiple chapters describing the current scientific knowledge about said moon (Enceladus, Io, Titan etc.) and the history of missions/discoveries leading to those. Good infotainment.

  5. #5165

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    After finishing the first three Dune books again I am trying again to God Emperor.

    I just can't get into it. I'm not feeling it. What is wrong with me
    Don't worry. There are famous and universally praised books/authors I personally find aren't entertaining at all. Dune being one of the book series. Terry Pratchet and Douglas Adams are these kind of authors for me.
    I feel like Dune, Messiah and Children of Dune have been written very well, with a lot of thought put into them. On the other hand, God Emperor of Dune seems to be telegraphed a bit (at least at the start, hence why I'm going to try to see if it gets better). I had a look at the story up to and including Chapterhouse Dune and I find it a bit retarded. Sure, ghola everything, destroy Dune, make a new Dune - after it was already postulated the damn worms won't grow anywhere else, now suddenly they can - I mean the old man is contradicting himself in writing those. I feel like it was like a sort of editorial deal - bruh, first three Dune books sold incredibly well, we need more Dune - and it backfired. And it isn't a plan within a plan within a plan like in the first three books, it just feels like "random bullshit go" and lots of things being thrown at the reader in the hope something sticks. I remember I read books like this previously (don't remember their names, I wonder why) and didn't enjoy the experience.
    The series does get a bit better with Hunters and Sandworms which were written by a different Herbert.

  6. #5166
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    which were written by a different Herbert.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  7. #5167
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    After finishing the first three Dune books again I am trying again to God Emperor.

    I just can't get into it. I'm not feeling it. What is wrong with me
    Don't worry. There are famous and universally praised books/authors I personally find aren't entertaining at all. Dune being one of the book series. Terry Pratchet and Douglas Adams are these kind of authors for me.
    I feel like Dune, Messiah and Children of Dune have been written very well, with a lot of thought put into them. On the other hand, God Emperor of Dune seems to be telegraphed a bit (at least at the start, hence why I'm going to try to see if it gets better). I had a look at the story up to and including Chapterhouse Dune and I find it a bit retarded. Sure, ghola everything, destroy Dune, make a new Dune - after it was already postulated the damn worms won't grow anywhere else, now suddenly they can - I mean the old man is contradicting himself in writing those. I feel like it was like a sort of editorial deal - bruh, first three Dune books sold incredibly well, we need more Dune - and it backfired. And it isn't a plan within a plan within a plan like in the first three books, it just feels like "random bullshit go" and lots of things being thrown at the reader in the hope something sticks. I remember I read books like this previously (don't remember their names, I wonder why) and didn't enjoy the experience.
    The series does get a bit better with Hunters and Sandworms which were written by a different Herbert.
    God Emperor is awesome, afterwards series takes a dive and then when you think it couldn't get any worse, son and co/ghostwriters prove you very, very wrong.

  8. #5168

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    If you want mindless action flick SF, the Jack Campbell Lost Fleet series is specifically that
    I sort of enjoyed the first book, gonna give book 2 a go and see if it improves.

    Any other reccomendations?

  9. #5169
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    If you want mindless action flick SF, the Jack Campbell Lost Fleet series is specifically that
    I sort of enjoyed the first book, gonna give book 2 a go and see if it improves.

    Any other reccomendations?
    Ember War

  10. #5170
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,929
    Been thinking about Battletech recently, and I want to read up on the formation of the clans, their values and ethos, etc. Especially Clan Wolf. Which sourcebook or novel would be good for that?

    And yes, I've seen the BPL lectures about it. I want to go to the source material.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  11. #5171
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Been thinking about Battletech recently, and I want to read up on the formation of the clans, their values and ethos, etc. Especially Clan Wolf. Which sourcebook or novel would be good for that?

    And yes, I've seen the BPL lectures about it. I want to go to the source material.

  12. #5172
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,929
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Been thinking about Battletech recently, and I want to read up on the formation of the clans, their values and ethos, etc. Especially Clan Wolf. Which sourcebook or novel would be good for that?

    And yes, I've seen the BPL lectures about it. I want to go to the source material.
    Even as a kid, I thought that series was bad.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  13. #5173
    Donor
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    131
    Been putting this off https://libcom.org/files/Hammer%20an...Depression.pdf

    About 1/5 of the way through Zinn's "A People's History of The United States"

  14. #5174

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,101
    I've finished Savage Stars and the Forged Alliance series by Anthony James.

    I enjoyed reading them but there were some frustrations. Very much played out like a video game. In book 1 you go up against a baddie, no way we can beat this baddie. We find a way and now that baddie is the generic baddie fo the next book and theres a new even BIGGER baddie. Repeat for the 7 books per season.

    But I enjoyed it.

    Gonna see if Ember war is on kindle.

  15. #5175

    Join Date
    November 8, 2021
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    2
    I read Dan Simmons' novel Terror about the mysterious disappearance of Sir John Franklin's expedition. A couple of years ago, a series was filmed based on it, but it does not come close to conveying the gloomy and oppressive atmosphere of the film. If you want to immerse yourself in the everyday environment of a 19th century British ship, love secrets and have always wanted to learn more about survival in the icy deserts of the Arctic, then this book is your choice.

  16. #5176

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,059
    Quote Originally Posted by WButler89 View Post
    A couple of years ago, a series was filmed based on it, but it does not come close to conveying the gloomy and oppressive atmosphere of the film.
    Considering that this mini series already was pretty good, that's quite a compliment for the book.

  17. #5177
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    4,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WButler89 View Post
    A couple of years ago, a series was filmed based on it, but it does not come close to conveying the gloomy and oppressive atmosphere of the film.
    Considering that this mini series already was pretty good, that's quite a compliment for the book.
    Dan Simmons is a really gifted writer that can basically write anything he applies himself to. It's a bit confusing for the reader because if you've read one of his books and it happened to be one that isn't your cup of tea you'll probably assume the rest are like that too, which couldn't be further from the truth. Some of his books are my favourites (Hyperion series) while I really dislike others. Terror was pretty good IMHO.

  18. #5178

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    715
    Will Wight's book 10 in cradle series Reaper, very good read. Decent twist ending. Having read his other series am not sure if this will be the last in the series or not.

  19. #5179

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WButler89 View Post
    A couple of years ago, a series was filmed based on it, but it does not come close to conveying the gloomy and oppressive atmosphere of the film.
    Considering that this mini series already was pretty good, that's quite a compliment for the book.
    Dan Simmons is a really gifted writer that can basically write anything he applies himself to. It's a bit confusing for the reader because if you've read one of his books and it happened to be one that isn't your cup of tea you'll probably assume the rest are like that too, which couldn't be further from the truth. Some of his books are my favourites (Hyperion series) while I really dislike others. Terror was pretty good IMHO.
    I fully agree. The same has happend to me with the little selection I read from his writings. "Children of the night" (IIRC that title): good, all the Hyperion books: a favorite of mine, "Drood": haven't finished it, what the hell was that all about?!?

  20. #5180

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    8,350
    Ilum and Olympos are my favourites of his. His biggest flaw IMO is that in some of the books the jewish propaganda is quite thick (Flashback is probably the worst offender). But his Thing being that he takes a established story, either real or from fiction from other author, and twists it into a some kind of horror story, each book tends to be completely different.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •