hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 237 of 237 FirstFirst ... 137187227234235236237
Results 4,721 to 4,732 of 4732

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by candys View Post
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. awesome book about India!
    Shantaram is one of my favourite books but keep it to the book and don't visit. I worked in India for a few weeks and also visited for an ex: Shantaram is a wonderfully written fable, but nothing more - it's escapism done best.
    I hate India. Been twice for work, fuck that. It's AWFUL.
    Aye it's a fucking hole.
    The city's are horrendous i will concede, but once you get out into the mountains/jungle/beaches it is really incredible!

Had a new look through this thread ~20 books downloaded, im good till 2018. Thnx ladies.

Out of curiosity, what device are you using when not leafing through dead trees? It's about time I start planning some presents for the family.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    Out of curiosity, what device are you using when not leafing through dead trees? It's about time I start planning some presents for the family.
    For me it's my old Samsung GT-P1000 running CM :3

however, I prefer hard covers, I can't seem to find a better feeling than dropping a 2kg copy of LOTR on my mug ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    The Kindle Oasis is really nice for long reads.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Breakers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by candys View Post
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. awesome book about India!
    Shantaram is one of my favourite books but keep it to the book and don't visit. I worked in India for a few weeks and also visited for an ex: Shantaram is a wonderfully written fable, but nothing more - it's escapism done best.
    I hate India. Been twice for work, fuck that. It's AWFUL.
    Aye it's a fucking hole.
    The city's are horrendous i will concede, but once you get out into the mountains/jungle/beaches it is really incredible!
    Eh i've always preferred Indonesia, but outside of Delhi i've only been to goa/agra/mumbai so i'll take your word for it.

I've always wanted to visit Meghalaya, interested to hear from anyone that has.

Kindle paperwhite. Cheap, works great, Calibre is the software to use to put all your third party epubs on it.
    nevar forget

Read two books recently; A Line Made by Walking and The Book of Disquiet.

A Line Made by Walking by Sara Baume is about a depressed woman who retreats to her dead grandmother's cottage to try and get herself back together. It was decent in that it captured a depressed, slightly obsessive mind well, but ultimately it overplayed its hand by keeping that the issue for far too long. There's a conceit in there where she rehashes artwork she studied in college, testing herself to see if both her knowledge and she herself is still relevant and applying it to her current life, but having used writing approaches like that myself I can see it as a bit of a mcguffin to break up your prose. I'll still do it, it's worthwhile, but you really need to key it into the rest of the story for it to work. Overall, it's an ok book, probably 100 pages too long, but still effectively showing a depressed mind, and the fight with that depression, and in many ways (being the trigger of the depression) a person's irrelevance as the transition from a university, student life where they're not quite adults, to the responsibility of making your own way through life..

The Book of Disquiet by Fernandoa Pessoa was written mostly in the 1930's, rediscovered in his belongings long after his death, collated and first published in the 1980's. It's a series of diary entries, or small pieces of writing on thoughts running through the head of the Pessoa's heteronym, Bernardo Soares, a clerk who spends his time writing, doesn't really engage with people or wider life, and dedicates himself to examining his own outlook and views on life. There's a lot of rumination in it, thoughts on what tedium means, and sleep, relationships with society, love, people, nature, etc. Pessoa was also a poet and almost all his writing is done via him taking on a persona as the author. The Book of Disquiet is pretty much about metaphysics, and the nature of things, especially internal existence as it stands against external stimulation. Soares, the supposed author doesn't engage with anything, is seemingly content living an isolated life and mulling over his own attitudes and perspectives on what he is to himself and other things. It's beautifully written (and translated from the original Portuguese.) Definitely worth reading if you're looking for something on how a solitary existence can work, with only your mind and deflated passion for an outlet.

I've just started Solar Bones by Mike McCormack which is on the Booker longlist (shortlist out tomorrow.) It's published by the same publisher as a Line Made by Walking. It's written as entirely a single sentence, with everything flowing into everything else. I'm only twenty or so pages in but it's rather an easy read so far, even if all the protagonist's rumination and picking over memory isn't quite hitting it off with me. I'll probably take the book out for a beer at some pint, and if I find a comfy chair I can see myself making good headway into it.

I heard an author, Danielle McLaughlin read at a short story festival last Wednesday, then just happened by chance upon a short story she had published in the New Yorker. I'm really impressed by her writing. There's something very quiet and slow about it, unpresuming in a lot of ways and not pretending to be dressed up in deep literary metaphysics. What really strikes me is how the small moments she tells, and little bits of description really stand out as instructive in and constructive for the entire element of what she wrote. The story she read on Wednesday was about a little girl, and there was a very brief moment of an old man being leery with her, grabbing her, and getting chased away by another woman who lived in the same building with the girl. It was a very small element of the story, almost an aside, but the reaction of the little girl, almost a lack of reaction and misunderstanding of the situation really set up the mental space for the author to see the world as the girl sees it, and so understand that broader narrative.

Anyway, it's only a short read but I'd recommend this New Yorker story to get a taste of her writing. I could have bought her short story collection at the time, but didn't so now I'll have to hunt it down elsewhere. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...osaurs-planets

I just finished Solar Bones by Mike McCormack. It was longlisted for the Booker, and Irish lit twitter was a little peeved when it didn't make the shortlist, although some of that might be dramatics for the sake of encouragement. It's not bad. The conceit of it being one long sentence mostly works, and it draws you through the novel quite easily. That could as well be the prose not being really challenging, and the events of the story not very out there. Like the other book I read from the publisher it seems more like a single idea really hammered home over the course of a 200 page novel, with not much that draws thought out as you read, until the end, which I did really enjoy. The blurb on the back of the book tells you the protag is dead, so everything is coloured by that, and I do wonder if it wasn't for this knowledge and a desire to see how it ties together would the story work as well. It's mostly a treatise on family. Family, relationships, and what a nondescript, average, normal life means to someone. I read most of it in two days, so if you're looking for a quick read it's worth a shout. I haven't read any of the shortlisted books for the Booker so I don't know if it was hard done by, but my immediate thought without being able to reference it against anything else is it's a fair call from the judges.

Kobo Aura One, pondered it a while, not the cheapest, but i really do like its size.

That said, my old Kindle did the job too. And for somebody as a present a 'simple' Paperwhite might be better. Ofc one is hooked to amazon with it if not using calibre or the like....

Ran out of material so starting this thread from the beggining (lord give me strength and neg/reps)

So far done some of the Honor Harrington, first 2 were good next 2 not so much...

Think im gonna put these aside and hit Old Man's War, The Quantum Thief and Hyperion.
    Last edited by Ted Breakers; September 21 2017 at 03:40:08 PM.