hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 260 of 261 FirstFirst ... 160210250257258259260261 LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,200 of 5206

Thread: What are you reading?

Bastion by Phil Tucker, new series very good in a similar vein to Will Wights cradle series, but a bit grittier.

I justed started the 3rd book of Patrick Lee's "Travis Chase" trilogy. All three books feature the same protagonists and are losely based on each other, but I think one could read e.g. the 2nd book without knowing the first one. He spreads clues and short explanations enough for it to make sense. But ofc you're missing all the details.

The non-spoilery setup: technical devices drop through a portal that magically appeared and drops 3-4 of these randomly per day. An independent organisation ("Tangent") guards/operates the portal and tries to figure out what these devices do and how to operate them. Things happen...

The first two books were fun to read and before I knew it turned into page-turners. It's nothing special though, i.e. not something making you deeply think out the concepts. Good "popcorn read" and the first book ended with an interesting twist at least I didn't see coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Been thinking about Battletech recently, and I want to read up on the formation of the clans, their values and ethos, etc. Especially Clan Wolf. Which sourcebook or novel would be good for that?

And yes, I've seen the BPL lectures about it. I want to go to the source material.
    The clan source novels are relatively sparse iirc, they show up with the Kerensky trilogy and then you get some background basically whenever a character learns about it, but there are no first-person novels that take place during the formation of the clans.

I think https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Historica...ation_Klondike is the canon source for the formative history of the clans.

Donor
    Deng Xiaoping "A Revolutionary Life"

Had a rough grasp on things relating to Chinese influence and politics so working through this once it arrives.

If audiobooks count (I don't care if they don't, I'm posting here anyway), Mike And Psmith by P G Wodehouse.

Obviously I've read it before. Psmith's phenomenally civil insolence was a huge inspiration to me. The set pieces are brought off perfectly, every time. The work of a master at the height of his powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

I re-read Neuromancer over the weekend while I was travelling (had never read the English language original).

It is baffling to me that no movie version of this has been made.

Apperently one is (was?) planned: https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...mancer_is.html

There also seem to be a previous one, which didn't materialize: https://www.heavymetal.com/news/conc...omancer-movie/

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I re-read Neuromancer over the weekend while I was travelling (had never read the English language original).

Does The Matrix not count?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Does The Matrix not count?
    It's a totally different story with maybe one element in common with Neuromancer.

So. No.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

But there has hasnt it? I seem to remember watching something that wasnt particularly good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

But there has hasnt it? I seem to remember watching something that wasnt particularly good?
    Wikipedia says there hasn't and I am pretty sure I would not have missed it. Maybe you recall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mnemonic_(film) ?

Been re-reading Rendez-vous South Atlantic by Douglas Reeman and I remembered why I love this book so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

Wikipedia says there hasn't and I am pretty sure I would not have missed it. Maybe you recall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mnemonic_(film) ?
    Aaah, that is probably what it is. And I also would like a movie more directly created from the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Currently reading Betrayal of Ideals, the first work of fiction I've read in...probably half a lifetime. It's alright. Not quite as good as the Star Wars novels I read as a teen, but it's solid.

Also, it's the first e-book I've ever read.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

When We Cease To Understand The World

Finished this one in a day, excellent blend of fiction and non-fiction

Girlfriend got me Hyperion for my birthday. About a quarter of the way through. Great book so far.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

The whole series is pretty good. If you enjoyed the 1st book, you'll also like the others.

As the last part of the trilogy is now out, I can in good conscience recommend, nay, command everyone to read this:

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

For the best experience I will advise to take a free audible signup audiobook, or buy it for $10.
    The performance makes this book live like few others I have ever heard.

Book or audio, either way, this is totally worth your time for a very fresh voice in SF and a very wild ride.

I enjoyed Gideon, but I'm afraid that I'm just not down enough with the cool kids to appreciate all the subtle allusions to memes and so that every talks about on to really get the most out of it.

On a suitably fogeyish note, yt-dlp being the wonderful, wonderful tool that it is, I've been doing an on-again off-again listen-through of the Patrick Tull readings of the Aubrey-Maturin series and they're just so very good. The narrator is as important as the text when it comes to audiobooks, and Tull captures the understated drollery perfectly. Next one up is The Hundred Days.

sigh..... the stack of books i wanna read before 2023 is now 14
    hardcopy, and 3 e-books

i will make a foto when sober
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..