hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 257 of 258 FirstFirst ... 157207247254255256257258 LastLast
Results 5,121 to 5,140 of 5154

Thread: What are you reading?

on third book of red rising. i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Just blazed through Rivers of London 1-8, very enjoyable, would recommend

UK Amazon are doing the box set of 1-7 for 21 which makes them very affordable
    The eighth book is out? Thanks.
    That was my GF's reaction when we browsed a bookshop for the first time in over a year, heh.
    (I was similarly surprised that a new Laundry book came out while I wasn't looking - Dead Lies Dreaming)
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Its a good time for fantasy authors writing Space Opera, Miles Cameron's latest Artifact space pt1 of a 2 book series is Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSwift View Post
    I'm reading call me by your name and I really want to try maybe hard works like War and Peace.
    War and Peace is great and much more engaging than rumours will have you believe. I think standards for book length have changed since it was published. I genuinely enjoyed reading it, while I found e.g. the Hyperion Cantos, which I read around the same time, to be a bit of a slog.

Edit: Ah fuck, fell for a bot.
    Last edited by Miriam Sasko; July 15 2021 at 06:52:44 AM.

Stuff I've read recently:

Nod - Adrian Barnes. I enjoyed it, but YMMV. Depends how much tolerance you have for writers that can't resist getting self indulgent with the whole 'omg our perception is defined by how we label things, so writers are super important man!' thing. As it's a book about sleep deprivation psychosis (whole world stops sleeping, and goes crazy as a result) it's an interesting take on perception vs reality. Have to admit, I don't think I got what he was trying to say with the 'dream'. Might reread at some point.

The priory of the orange tree - Samantha Shannon. Best new fantasy in a while. Such a treat to have a fresh well realised fantasy world that does it's own thing and does it well. Definitely on board for future novels and recommend it if you're looking for your next fantasy book.

Traitor Son Cycle (fantasy) / Chivalry (historical fantasy) - Christian Cameron (aka Miles Cameron). The guy writes conflict really well, probably as a result of being into reenactment (i.e actually dressing up in plate armour and bopping people on the head with a mace), he does seem to be only able to write about 8 characters though. The more you read the more it feels like new characters you're introduced to are just other characters renamed, it can be hard to suspend disbelief in his 'historical' stuff as the peasant main character meets every notable historical person in Europe for tenuous 'reasons'. I find he's excellent with the small details, good with the plot and wonky with characters. But seeing as I read 9 books over the 2 series I clearly enjoyed his stuff and would recommend it.

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch. Book 1 of a series, and it was 'ok' but I already can't remember what the plot was or anything about the main character. I bought the second book in the series about a month ago and haven't touched it, whilst buying several other books to read instead. Says it all really. To me it's generic 'orphan peasant has ridiculous destiny' fare, which I'm quite often down for as a guilty pleasure. I just didn't connect with this one, though seems to be well reviewed by other readers, so it's probably fine and just a personal taste thing.

This Is going to hurt - Adam Kay. Basically a publication of an ex-doctors journal. From newly qualified to resigned after being broken by the job. Easy reading, and fascinating if you're even vaguely curious about behind the scenes of the medical profession. The ending was a really sobering punch in the gut, and is what makes this book worth reading imo.
    Last edited by Shiodome; July 15 2021 at 09:14:04 AM.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Currently reading They Never Said It, a 1980s book of misattributed and fake quotes from various historical figures.

Conclusion: the right wing really enjoys making shit up.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Read the first two of Joe Abercrombie's Shattered Sea (and halfway through the third) while on hols. (Half a King/World/War) These are tagged as "YA", which is usually code for 'lazily written power-fantasy epheborotica', but in this case Joe has actually done his job and they're books that pay a little more attention to teenage dilemmas and growth moments while actually being written like proper novels. The prose and dialogue is plainly written compared to 'adult' fiction, but he's made that fit in and work very well with the theme and setting, and for once in YA, it doesn't reek of condescension. There are perhaps a few more moments of "everything I do is rubbish and I'm rubbish and the world is rubbish" angst than I would have liked, but really only a few.

For adults, they're good, entertaining, cleanly and tightly written novels. You'd have to ask an actual YA how well he's hit that mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

(YOUNG ADULT)

Donor
    Finally finished "Lucifer's Banker" even though it was like slogging through a "I hope they serve beer in hell" but finance that made a fucking mess of things back in '08-'11.

Shit book. Probably going to get back into the "Lathe of Heaven" next.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Read the first two of Joe Abercrombie's Shattered Sea (and halfway through the third) while on hols. (Half a King/World/War) These are tagged as "YA", which is usually code for 'lazily written power-fantasy epheborotica', but in this case Joe has actually done his job and they're books that pay a little more attention to teenage dilemmas and growth moments while actually being written like proper novels. The prose and dialogue is plainly written compared to 'adult' fiction, but he's made that fit in and work very well with the theme and setting, and for once in YA, it doesn't reek of condescension. There are perhaps a few more moments of "everything I do is rubbish and I'm rubbish and the world is rubbish" angst than I would have liked, but really only a few.

For adults, they're good, entertaining, cleanly and tightly written novels. You'd have to ask an actual YA how well he's hit that mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    (YOUNG ADULT)
    Kek

(YOUNG ADULT)
    But enough about your "girlfriend"
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Published by Del Rey. Top kek may as well be Horus Heresy schlock.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    The priory of the orange tree - Samantha Shannon. Best new fantasy in a while. Such a treat to have a fresh well realised fantasy world that does it's own thing and does it well. Definitely on board for future novels and recommend it if you're looking for your next fantasy book.
    Read this too based on this (and other) recommendations. Not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it is quite nice to have a 1200 page fantasy novel that makes sense and isn't utter drivel like a lot of other fantasy out there.

Just finished "Use of weapons" by Iain Banks (the Culture series)

Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post

Good stuff
    is that the one with meatfucker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

Good stuff
    No, that's Excession.

Use of weapons is the one with Diziet Sma her offensive drone and the chair maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

Good stuff
    No, that's Excession.

Use of weapons is the one with Diziet Sma her offensive drone and the chair maker.
    Ah yes, the one with the twist that I, honestly, didn't see coming.

(Elethiomel is a cool name, would name my son that, 100%)

Incidentally, that's about where I'm at RE: Banks' culture books - I have about 4 more ready to go, but had to take a breather.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Now that I commute to work again, I also have time for reading again. I picked up the last 2 books of Scalzi's Old Man's War series. Haven't read a book from him in quite a while now and forgot how entertaining his dialogs are.

Next on my list and already purchased: the next two books in the Honorverse series from where I left off a couple of years ago.

After finishing the first three Dune books again I am trying again to God Emperor.

I just can't get into it. I'm not feeling it. What is wrong with me
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.