hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Starsector

Re: Starfarer

https://docs.google.com/document/pub..._Tt2TNx2kXbQVc
    Linky to the pre-alpha manual, describes some interesting mechanics for the game.
    I really like the concepts of flux, the venting ability, the shield balancing (hopefully ala x-wing) and the auto fire for the point defenses.

Overall it feels closer to the Starfleet Battles tabletop war game than the spectre of anything else that has been invoked so far.

Oh, and preorder it bitches, you are going to spend the $ later anyway.
    - -

Quote Originally Posted by alexm
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec
    Speaking of question: what elements of empire building will Starfarer have?
    I really hesitate to call it "empire building", if only because the sum total of the populated planets in the sector wouldn't qualify for such a lofty term. We're talking maybe 20 core worlds total (a core world being one that is habitable and has an established population numbering in the millions). There are also numerous outposts for various types of industry, and a lot of uninhabited (and unexplored) systems. All this is in a downward spiral of decay. For more on the backstory, check out this illustrated history of the sector.

Now, to answer your actual question! You'll be able to establish outposts, take over core worlds, and maintain several fleets. However, the focus is on your flagship and its fleet, and if you do choose to go down the path of multiple outposts and large fleets, you won't have precise control over most of it. The more power you have, the less control you have over it. For example,if you own one outpost, you'll be able to place buildings and direct it personally. For subsequent outposts, you'll have to assign administrators which handle all these for you (and not necessarily exactly how you'd like). The same idea extends to flagship vs the rest of your fleet vs your other fleets, as well as other parts of the game.

Building up industry and outposts is just one of several ways to advance - focusing on your fleet, or even just your flagship exclusively will all be viable. Depending on which way you go, you'll just have to have a different approach to problem solving. Hit-and-run attacks might not work so well if you're in charge of an armada, but on the other hand, a frontal assault on a well-defended outpost wouldn't be a great option if all you have is a single cruiser.
    Thanks for the answer

I've got one more: how map will be handled; I mean will the "game area" be seamless or divided into, for example, smaller maps which are areas in general proximity of points of interest like asteroid belts or planets?

EDIT:

One more: will the "galaxy sandbox" be in alpha or just pre-designed missions for the time being?

I've got one more: how map will be handled; I mean will the "game area" be seamless or divided into, for example, smaller maps which are areas in general proximity of points of interest like asteroid belts or planets?

EDIT:

One more: will the "galaxy sandbox" be in alpha or just pre-designed missions for the time being?
    I'm thinking seamless with some automatic zooming depending on proximity to gravity wells, but don't hold me to that. Will have to try out a few approaches to see what feels right.

Battles will definitely take place in a separate space, though.

This alpha just has missions. A later alpha will have the sandbox - this is something we'll start working on soon after the dust clears from this release.

Super Maderator DonorGlobal Moderator Hels's Avatar

Oh man another dev to stop by our forum.

First Firgof from Star Ruler and now Alexm. Awesomeness. Will be tracking, where do I preorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Hels
    Oh man another dev to stop by our forum.

First Firgof from Star Ruler and now Alexm. Awesomeness. Will be tracking, where do I preorder?
    Right here

Edit: Oh, and call me Alex. I just use alexm for the forum name because "alex" is usually taken.

I just pre-ordered on hearing that this featured 2D top-down spaceship fights with gorgeous looking pixel art. Something about a childhood spent playing Escape Velocity has made anything in this genre give me an instant semi. I might not be able to play for a few months due to RL interference, but you've already earnt my money just by making something that looks like this.

I cannot believe someone would design a top-down 2D space game without playing Escape Velocity Nova for inspiration!

Also preordering

Quote Originally Posted by alexm

EDIT:

I'm thinking seamless with some automatic zooming depending on proximity to gravity wells, but don't hold me to that. Will have to try out a few approaches to see what feels right.

Battles will definitely take place in a separate space, though.

This alpha just has missions. A later alpha will have the sandbox - this is something we'll start working on soon after the dust clears from this release.
    Fair enough, as soon as I'll get money online - preoder

Quote Originally Posted by James Snowscoran
    I cannot believe someone would design a top-down 2D space game without playing Escape Velocity Nova for inspiration!

Also preordering
    Never Heard of EV: Nova before this thread, but i like the genre

Thanks for your support, guys. I really appreciate it!

Looking forward to your feedback once the alpha is out

2 indiegames i'm dieing to play,
    2 awesome developer(s/ teams)
    2 'it will be out soon' messages

Dunno what my sin is, but if Starfarer/SPAZ are out, i will disappear for 2 weeks

Keep up the good work

Got an email from the devs saying Alpha releases on Saturday.

Dear God,
    Please make sure this game doesn't suck. You can have Hels & filingo's firstborn child as payment.

-MN
    - -

Quote Originally Posted by MicroNova
    Got an email from the devs saying Alpha releases on Saturday.

Dear God,
    Please make sure this game doesn't suck. You can have Hels & filingo's firstborn child as payment.

-MN
    Rly ?!? *drool*

Also: Best wishes to FREEE, where ever you roam (Which hole )

Awesome this and SPAZ are going to be great.

Preordered \o/

Preordered.

alex,can you confirm the beta-release tomorow ?

Quote Originally Posted by Surveyor
    alex,can you confirm the beta-release tomorow?
    I can confirm an alpha release tomorrow

As I think I mentioned above, this release is entirely focused on combat - there are 6 missions of varying difficulty levels.

You can also mod missions, if you're so inclined.

Awesome, credit card armed and ready to purchase .... bought !
    Will be hard to sleept tonight

do we have a time for beta release so i can know if i should goto sleep early or late?

Quote Originally Posted by Mavolio
    do we have a time for beta release so i can know if i should goto sleep early or late?
    Well, you see. I'm aiming for later tonight (EST). But, if last minute testing reveals an issue (or I fall asleep on the keyboard), it could be well into tomorrow. I'm not helping much, am I?