hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 125

Thread: Wikilicks Megathread

  1. #1
    Donor Sponk's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    AU TZ
    Posts
    11,497

    Angry Wikilicks Megathread

    Paging Lusulphur

    Let's kick this thing off.

    State Department Redacts Already-Leaked Cables
    The ACLU filed a FOIA request for a bunch of cables that Wikileaks had already released complete versions of. This is what happened:

    The agency released redacted versions of 11 and withheld the other 12 in full.

    The five excerpts below show the government's selective and self-serving decisions to withhold information. Because the leaked versions of these cables have already been widely distributed, the redacted releases provide unique insight into the government's selective decisions to hide information from the American public. [...]
    n1 state department /o\



    oh, and WikiLeaks names [aussie] ex-Senator as Stratfor informant
    Former National Party senator and businessman Bill O'Chee has been revealed as the most prolific Australian informant of a controversial private global intelligence company that is the target of a new campaign by WikiLeaks. [...]
    So, it's OK if a government minister does it, but treason and espionage when Assange is involved.

    OK, got it.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

    "You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."


  2. #2
    dpidcoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29, 2011
    Location
    San diego
    Posts
    4,908
    ITT: governments think they're special and also have massive double standards, more news at 11.
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

  3. #3
    Herschel Yamamoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Illuminati derpy herp
    Posts
    3,129
    Just because Wikileaks dumps something on the internet doesn't mean you confirm it. In the part of the world not inhabited by manchild Aussie halfwits, you treat diplomacy with a bit more respect than a cheap hooker, you know?

    And re Stratfor, it might perhaps be a good idea to put stuff like this into the hands of the police, instead of rounding up a lynch mob of hackers to go commit massive credit card fraud with. Or, better yet, don't go hacking into random companies just because their line of business bears a vague resemblance to some people who do naughty things once in a while.
    "Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

    Quote Originally Posted by Wall View Post
    Herschel Yamamoto is owning in this thread.

  4. #4
    Super VIP Dot Kransthow's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    どんちゃかちゃっかー♪
    Posts
    6,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Herschel Yamamoto View Post
    Just because Wikileaks dumps something on the internet doesn't mean you confirm it. In the part of the world not inhabited by manchild Aussie halfwits, you treat diplomacy with a bit more respect than a cheap hooker, you know?

    And re Stratfor, it might perhaps be a good idea to put stuff like this into the hands of the police, instead of rounding up a lynch mob of hackers to go commit massive credit card fraud with. Or, better yet, don't go hacking into random companies just because their line of business bears a vague resemblance to some people who do naughty things once in a while.

    Oh Herschel, just admit that the government is completely fucking corrupt and doesn't deserve respect anymore than it deserves to lie about everything all the time everywhere.

  5. #5
    DevilDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Herschel Yamamoto View Post
    Just because Wikileaks dumps something on the internet doesn't mean you confirm it. In the part of the world not inhabited by manchild Aussie halfwits, you treat diplomacy with a bit more respect than a cheap hooker, you know?

    And re Stratfor, it might perhaps be a good idea to put stuff like this into the hands of the police, instead of rounding up a lynch mob of hackers to go commit massive credit card fraud with. Or, better yet, don't go hacking into random companies just because their line of business bears a vague resemblance to some people who do naughty things once in a while.
    1) they more than vaguely resemble an intelligence agency.
    2) while I freely admit the need for intel, I don't think it's something you let corporations without public oversight do.

  6. #6
    Al Simmons's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,660
    Wikileaks is so boring. I wanna hear more about how Rick Santorum thinks I should have sex.

  7. #7
    ValorousBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Posts
    4,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    Wikileaks is so boring. I wanna hear more about how Rick Santorum thinks I should have sex.
    Hold up. It's WAY more entertaining to here about how he thinks you *shouldn't* have sex.

  8. #8
    Al Simmons's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,660
    Quote Originally Posted by ValorousBob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    Wikileaks is so boring. I wanna hear more about how Rick Santorum thinks I should have sex.
    Hold up. It's WAY more entertaining to here about how he thinks you *shouldn't* have sex.
    Nono, he's totally cool with sex as long as it's with your wife, in the missionary position, with the lights off, and includes no pleasure and is only intended to pump out more loyal Republican voters.

  9. #9
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    3,127
    Quote Originally Posted by ValorousBob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    Wikileaks is so boring. I wanna hear more about how Rick Santorum thinks I should have sex.
    Hold up. It's WAY more entertaining to here about how he thinks you *shouldn't* have sex.
    Pooper is bad right?

    Also, my biggest concern is that there are so many things leaked that can be confirmed and still it only gets a minor notice in the news. If at all.
    One example would be that leaked presentation and email from the HBGary hack, where they have states and private companies presenting a (.ppt)solution on how to deal with WikiL and Assange by placing foreign agents inside Sweden ISP's ,disinformation campaign, sabotage etc.
    Afaik not a single word was printed, no deeper investigation was made. Then again, we allowed the CIA to secretly land and pick up "terrorists", something which is highly illegal.
    While that caused some serious reporting nothing really changed and the people responsible got a way with "oups, our bad, the US wanted a favor and it was supposed to be a secret ya know".

    Sometime I wonder if it all is just to close to a bad spy-novel for people to take it serious, they simply cant imagine it can be this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  10. #10
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    9,971

  11. #11
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Herschel Yamamoto View Post
    Just because Wikileaks dumps something on the internet doesn't mean you confirm it. In the part of the world not inhabited by manchild Aussie halfwits, you do whatever America tells you
    fyp?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    So, it's OK if a government minister does it, but treason and espionage when Assange is involved.
    If there's no evidence of personal corruption and the minister chooses to defend himself on grounds of parliamentary privilege (which will be difficult given Stratfor's nature), then yes, in the eyes of the law, exactly this.

  13. #13
    Herschel Yamamoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Illuminati derpy herp
    Posts
    3,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Kransthow View Post
    Oh Herschel, just admit that the government is completely fucking corrupt and doesn't deserve respect anymore than it deserves to lie about everything all the time everywhere.
    Have I ever said anything to the contrary? Half the reason I'm pissed is that Stratfor is innocuous. George Friedman is the sort of guy who'd fit in well on Failheap - he's clearly smart, lets it go to his head, analyzes everything three times as hard as is humanly possible, and comes up with conclusions at the other end that are 50% nifty, 30% hurfing, and 20% derp. I used to subscribe to their free newsletters, because discussion of how fucked-up Mexico was getting by drug wars or what sort of clowns were terrorizing third-world countries this week was actually pretty interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    1) they more than vaguely resemble an intelligence agency.
    2) while I freely admit the need for intel, I don't think it's something you let corporations without public oversight do.
    1) They resemble the parts of an intelligence agency that nobody really minds - the actual intelligence-gathering thing. The "overthrowing governments" thing that gets everyone pissed off at the CIA is a bit outside Stratfor's core competencies.

    2) Dude, you play(ed) Eve. You ought to know better than to assume that intelligence is some big foreign thing you need huge infrastructure for. Not to mention that even governmental intel agencies don't have a whole lot of oversight, given the whole "classification" thing. Intel is gathering and analyzing data - it's the job of hundreds of fields of private-sector endeavour, from stock trading to news agencies. Hell, Scrapheap threads about nuclear reactors melting down are pretty impressive private-sector intel, at that.
    "Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

    Quote Originally Posted by Wall View Post
    Herschel Yamamoto is owning in this thread.

  14. #14
    Smuggo
    Guest
    I like seeing butthurt politicians and businessmen be butthurt barefaced liars. Their innability to tell the truth despite it staring them in the face is highly amusing and this is reason alone to praise Wikileaks.

  15. #15
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Herschel Yamamoto View Post
    Just because Wikileaks dumps something on the internet doesn't mean you confirm it. In the part of the world not inhabited by manchild Aussie halfwits, you treat diplomacy with a bit more respect than a cheap hooker, you know?
    All the evidence indicates that this is explicitly untrue in the US's case. Unless by "treat with respect" you mean "make sure noone ever finds the body".
    And re Stratfor, it might perhaps be a good idea to put stuff like this into the hands of the police, instead of rounding up a lynch mob of hackers to go commit massive credit card fraud with. Or, better yet, don't go hacking into random companies just because their line of business bears a vague resemblance to some people who do naughty things once in a while.
    Why? Are you for real? Why -shouldn't- they reveal true information about the illegal activities of public figures?

  16. #16
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Afaik not a single word was printed, no deeper investigation was made. Then again, we allowed the CIA to secretly land and pick up "terrorists", something which is highly illegal.
    While that caused some serious reporting nothing really changed and the people responsible got a way with "oups, our bad, the US wanted a favor and it was supposed to be a secret ya know".
    See this is why I get annoyed with the counter-culture left wing. You just make shit up. EVERY MAJOR NEWSPAPER in the UK and US covered the HBGary ppt.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    744
    Put it in the hands of the police you say? Those incorruptible guardians of peace and order?

    (goes back to watching the Leveson Inquiry)

  18. #18
    Sykes's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6, 2012
    Location
    Molden Heath
    Posts
    838
    There's quite an interesting one that first came out in 2010, in which various US officials share their jubilation at getting a compliant new head of the IAEA elected instead of that awkward bastard Mohammad "What Iraqi WMD?" ElBaradei.

    The shift in tone at the I.A.E.A. seems linked to a change at the top. The I.A.E.A.’s report had extra weight because the Agency has had a reputation for years as a reliable arbiter on Iran. Mohammed ElBaradei, who retired as the I.A.E.A.’s Director General two years ago, was viewed internationally, although not always in Washington, as an honest broker—a view that lead to the awarding of a Nobel Peace Prize in 2005. ElBaradei’s replacement is Yukiya Amano of Japan. Late last year, a classified U.S. Embassy cable from Vienna, the site of the I.A.E.A. headquarters, described Amano as being “ready for prime time.” According to the cable, which was obtained by WikiLeaks, in a meeting in September, 2009, with Glyn Davies, the American permanent representative to the I.A.E.A., said, “Amano reminded Ambassador on several occasions that he would need to make concessions to the G-77 [the group of developing countries], which correctly required him to be fair-minded and independent, but that he was solidly in the U.S. court on every strategic decision, from high-level personnel appointments to the handling of Iran’s alleged nuclear weapons program.” The cable added that Amano’s “willingness to speak candidly with U.S. interlocutors on his strategy … bodes well for our future relationship.”
    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-the-iaea.html

    http://wikileaks.org/cable/2009/10/0...IENNA478.html#
    Last edited by Sykes; March 2 2012 at 09:34:32 AM.

  19. #19
    Donor TheManFromDelmonte's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    5,021
    Comparing original and reacted info is interesting, it seems like you could learn a lot like that.

    Also, stratfor is pretty cool. Why the hate exactly? I mean I'd be annoyed if I gave them my cc number, but otherwise I think they really help you understand what's going on.

  20. #20
    punkboy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23, 2011
    Location
    Loner corp - Mr John22ta
    Posts
    1,178
    So just scanned through a few things, and found this gem http://wikileaks.org/gifiles/docs/10...s-corpse-.html

    Apparently Bin Ladens body was kept by the US, not dumped at sea. Not overly impressed tho, seems to be a bunch of guys playing spies theory crafting while wearing tinfoil hats, some of the mails I've seen are so unprofessional it makes me wonder why someone would pay big money to access this crap.
    yes, I am Le terribad at BF3


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •