hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Arma 3. Vietnam Ops. Vietnam Ops everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Panda View Post
    haha, that's exactly why the arma community is so bad, as they take themselves way too seriously. i was temp banned from 7th cav for doing nearly exactly that (donuts with the PMC SUV), but i didn't have a buddy spamming salute as he was on the minigun winning local hearts and minds.

i don't think these people realize that despite the fact that this is a "mil-sim", it's a fucking game first. the xxxTEAMxxx server used to be fun and allowed for goofy antics from time to time (nuking the AO), but they went full retard and only run insurgency mode, last i checked.

edit: this reminds me of the time i took a chopper without being on ts3 on the 7th cav server. one of the admins actually said something to the effect of, "SPACE PANDA, that chopper is property of the US Government. Per regulation blah blah blah you are not allowed to use such vehicles unless you are on ts3 and have the proper clearance".

pathetic.
    I think I can speak for most of the Arma community when I say that 7th cav is the laughing stock of pure bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    ^robsably aboujt to throw up so goood night failheap IU love you all even you ctrlchris even iuf you keep bnegrrepping me for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by Jurskjeld View Post
    I think I can speak for most of the Arma community when I say that 7th cav is the laughing stock of pure bullshit.
    ^^

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    ^^
    qft

Technically ArmA2, but that thread's fallen to page 7 and is getting a bit old and smelly. Anyway, I'm sure this'll be ported to ArmA3.

Been playing the latest update to Invasion 44, the rather swish WW2 mod for ArmA2. Even playing a regular Domi map is awesome fun, with Spitfires dogfighting overhead, Panzers shooting it out below, and me failing to kill anything with a thommy gun. The original MP missions have been updated and there's a new, extended map of Omaha beach which make the D-Day landing missions epic.

Having no radios really forces old school teamplay and good communications, which is very refreshing and pretty challenging (we've been playing with ACRE enabled to limit the range of normal voice on TS). Some of the vehicles still need a bit of tweaking (e.g. the Hawker Hurricane still uses standard BIS targetting) and for some reason they've opted to include the Shactac Fire Team HUD by default, which rather spoils the immersion. But overall this is probably one of the better full conversion mods for ArmA2.

Some problems with the early take on Java. There is, however, a neat WIP on Java-2-Arma-2, ARMA2NET. I don't know wtf this means, but it's obvious it could be like fitting a jet engine to a wooden biplane. Only the simplicity of it keeps the entire thing from burning up violently. Why it has not been done earlier I don't know, but there's now (gleaning from the thread) the possibility of easing currently brutally longwinded tasks such as writing to a file and storing weapon loadout for a user that re-enters the server. It really is magnificent to behold a game kept sufficiently open by its designers that community creativity can introduce such steps forward.

Technically mostly A2 relevant. To compensate, A3 news: We now know the game will feature the Hungarian-made Gepard GM6 Lynx.
    It's a silly rifle cannon.

^robsably aboujt to throw up so goood night failheap IU love you all even you ctrlchris even iuf you keep bnegrrepping me for no reason

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    My money. They have it.

As usual

This is actually not listed as a feature by Armaholic, but by gods it is one nevertheless:
    Modularity for vehicles and players. We kind of know this concept already from interchangable weapon accessories, clothing and shit, but it's to the point where we can say "this has ERA and a CROW MG; this one has only ERA" without needing fifty thousand entries in the editor list -- meaning this and this is the same.
    The more I read the more raging my boner becomes.

In other news, BIS have said the game will contain only "one map".
    But this is not Lemnos:

It is a smaller island roughly 40km south of Lemnos IRL (39 29N, 25 00E). How far away is it on the map? Who knows, because we can't see it from the few south-facing screenshots uploaded that there are. It would be classic BIS to have a 'training' island (Utes in A2, Malden training island in OFP). The real question is how far away. The further, the better!
    Last edited by Jurskjeld; March 27 2012 at 05:18:12 PM.

Hnnng I came

Image of geopolitical situation:
      Spoiler:

Background updates: http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/background/
    Faction updates: http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/factions/
    ... PEOPLE update I guess: http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/personnel/
    Island update: http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/limnos/

wait so we're way in the future now? inb4 heartbeat sensor

thundercougar i am positioning the doomscat in the hobbit village, over
    roger thundercougar, proceed to nav point delta-echo-romeo-papa once you have delivered the package, over
    roger command, i am so hard right now, over
    roger thundercougar, me too, over

Quote Originally Posted by jbend9620 View Post
    wait so we're way in the future now? inb4 heartbeat sensor

We've been for a while.

BIS are big on mod backwards compatibility and have said they have this very much in mind for ArmA3, so it won't be long until all the old and current day stuff is ported over.

Hnnng I came

Image of geopolitical situation:
      Spoiler:

Background updates: http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/background/
    Faction updates: http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/factions/
    ... PEOPLE update I guess: http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/personnel/
    Island update: http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/limnos/
    Before anyone has a seizure, I think both Arma and Arma 2 are awesome games and i expect Arma 3 to be awesome to (crossing fingers and hoping..)

But the storyline for Arma 3... WTF? Is this steaming pile of alternate universe crap really the best they could come up with?
    It is like being treated with bad fan fiction after having read Red Army as an introduction.

Story telling was never BIS's strong point. This is just an excuse to make vehicles and kit which aren't 1985 (OFP), 2000 (ArmA1) or contemporary (ArmA2). The SP will no doubt be as terribad as all the others (apart from OFP Resistance which was awesome), and be dogged by poor dev investment in crappy and irrelevant game mechanics that barely work (Team Switching, 'dynamic' missions, warfare...). It's really the engine I'm interested in. We create our own stories.

Same response to Yllegarn. The campaign doesn't even matter, that's not why we play this game. A2 addons can with ease be ported to A3 meaning that in very short time (2-3 months?) we'll have moved most of our activity to that.
    The campaign promises to showcase some mechanics (it's been implied you can fish, we know you can also tow vehicles that may be broken and the campaign might see us do this), but other than that SP has never mattered. Having a campaign is immensely important for us to break down their missions and have a look at how they do things, and frankly the scenarios that are created are far from the worst.

Your rage is undue tbh.

it's been implied you can fish.
    What game are we talking about again?

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    arma 3 the most tactical angling game ever created

can haz fishing with LGBs?

ickle teaser thingy.

Then I am guessing Stratis is the second island, the 'training' island as it were. You can see that the camera is facing acing East-S-E, and there's a radar to the south. That means this can't be the radar site on the northwestern tip of Lemnos.