hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3138394041

Thread: Arma 3. Vietnam Ops. Vietnam Ops everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    Every time we try ACRE2 we run into some bug that makes us go back to TFAR, though I've not tried for a few months. Essentially there's no massive difference from a gameplay perspective though - some buggering around with keys so you can have 2 PTT's for each radio same as with TFAR (only relevant if you're in a command role with more than one net) and/or alternate channels depending how you roll. The rest is just figuring out which buttons to press to make frequency changes. ACRE2 has much better spatial chat and the signal attenuation is very well done of course. Otoh, TFAR isn't broken and is good enough for what it does so I've never had a strong enough case to switch (plus there's the need to update all our in house mods).

Ref x64 ArmA - I was mooching around on Kalu Khan today after re-indexing it for ALiVE. Whacked view distance to 20k, dropped some ALiVE modules with 2000 virtual groups and put spawn to 3000m, then took a jet out on a flight through the mountains. Game was smooth as you like...until I got a SAM up the arse anyway.
    Sweet - any idea on when a new release is inbound?
    The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

Next release of ALiVE? Should be pretty Soon™ Release candidates are downloadable on github if you're really desperate.

Edit: released just now
    Last edited by friznit; March 19 2017 at 03:21:46 PM.

Every time we try ACRE2 we run into some bug that makes us go back to TFAR, though I've not tried for a few months. Essentially there's no massive difference from a gameplay perspective though - some buggering around with keys so you can have 2 PTT's for each radio same as with TFAR (only relevant if you're in a command role with more than one net) and/or alternate channels depending how you roll. The rest is just figuring out which buttons to press to make frequency changes. ACRE2 has much better spatial chat and the signal attenuation is very well done of course. Otoh, TFAR isn't broken and is good enough for what it does so I've never had a strong enough case to switch (plus there's the need to update all our in house mods).
    Our group of 70-80 dudes did a collective switch from TFAR to ACRE2 a month ago, main reasons for bailing on TFAR were: lack of development that forced us to stay on rollbacked versions of TS3 and Arma, hoping the TFAR devs would move their asses. Not to mention the 'sticky keys' bug, where switching too quickly between channels keybinds would make the TS3 plugin confused.
    After moving to ACRE2, one of the big things we found improvement on, completely unexpectedly, was FPS, I personally had a 15-20 FPS increase while just standing at spawn-in with 30 other dudes next to me.
    The biggest changes that we are forced to adopt have come as a result of how ACRE2 simulates actual radio signal behaviour, like if 2 people trying to talk to each other on radios are standing too close to each other, ACRE2 simulates a 'too strong' signal, which in reality would overpower the receiver and it doesn't pick up the signal. On 343s that range is 15-20m, on the 148 it's closer to 40m, it can get somewhat annoying when you're doing radio checks. Another thing it simulates is radio antenna position, so if you're prone on the ground, your antenna will be horizontal (since the radio is strapped to your chest in an upright position) thus leading to signal geometry fail, and more lost comms.

It's been a hell of a ride, but were slowly adjusting to it, and I have to say, the directional speech in ACRE is far, faaaaar superior to TFARs, and worth it just for that. SLs running to FTLs, or PL personally visiting SLs has become a thing now, radio handshakes and comms have become more consistent and concise.

Those are the gameplay adjustments I had in mind, if anyone has any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    Another thing it simulates is radio antenna position, so if you're prone on the ground, your antenna will be horizontal (since the radio is strapped to your chest in an upright position) thus leading to signal geometry fail, and more lost comms.
    Dayum
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

It needed an actively serving Royal Marine of a group member, to point a few of those things out Fatnerd neckbeards can only armchair so many things.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

There still no vehicle radios in ACRE?

There still no vehicle radios in ACRE?
    Soon™

e: I may actually be wrong here, and they're already in, fresh from the oven, just remembered we used onboard intercom on the heli ride on tonight's op.
    e2: intercoms =/= vehicle radios
    Last edited by lubica; March 21 2017 at 12:23:50 PM.

Been having lots of good times in the mission Restrepo lately - works very well on my dedi box
    The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"