hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313839404142 LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 822

Thread: Arma 3. Vietnam Ops. Vietnam Ops everywhere.

  1. #801
    Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    Every time we try ACRE2 we run into some bug that makes us go back to TFAR, though I've not tried for a few months. Essentially there's no massive difference from a gameplay perspective though - some buggering around with keys so you can have 2 PTT's for each radio same as with TFAR (only relevant if you're in a command role with more than one net) and/or alternate channels depending how you roll. The rest is just figuring out which buttons to press to make frequency changes. ACRE2 has much better spatial chat and the signal attenuation is very well done of course. Otoh, TFAR isn't broken and is good enough for what it does so I've never had a strong enough case to switch (plus there's the need to update all our in house mods).

    Ref x64 ArmA - I was mooching around on Kalu Khan today after re-indexing it for ALiVE. Whacked view distance to 20k, dropped some ALiVE modules with 2000 virtual groups and put spawn to 3000m, then took a jet out on a flight through the mountains. Game was smooth as you like...until I got a SAM up the arse anyway.
    Sweet - any idea on when a new release is inbound?
    The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

  2. #802

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,049
    Next release of ALiVE? Should be pretty Soon™ Release candidates are downloadable on github if you're really desperate.

    Edit: released just now
    Last edited by friznit; March 19 2017 at 04:21:46 PM.

  3. #803
    Donor lubica's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    On the shitty side of the Alps
    Posts
    4,576
    Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    Every time we try ACRE2 we run into some bug that makes us go back to TFAR, though I've not tried for a few months. Essentially there's no massive difference from a gameplay perspective though - some buggering around with keys so you can have 2 PTT's for each radio same as with TFAR (only relevant if you're in a command role with more than one net) and/or alternate channels depending how you roll. The rest is just figuring out which buttons to press to make frequency changes. ACRE2 has much better spatial chat and the signal attenuation is very well done of course. Otoh, TFAR isn't broken and is good enough for what it does so I've never had a strong enough case to switch (plus there's the need to update all our in house mods).
    Our group of 70-80 dudes did a collective switch from TFAR to ACRE2 a month ago, main reasons for bailing on TFAR were: lack of development that forced us to stay on rollbacked versions of TS3 and Arma, hoping the TFAR devs would move their asses. Not to mention the 'sticky keys' bug, where switching too quickly between channels keybinds would make the TS3 plugin confused.
    After moving to ACRE2, one of the big things we found improvement on, completely unexpectedly, was FPS, I personally had a 15-20 FPS increase while just standing at spawn-in with 30 other dudes next to me.
    The biggest changes that we are forced to adopt have come as a result of how ACRE2 simulates actual radio signal behaviour, like if 2 people trying to talk to each other on radios are standing too close to each other, ACRE2 simulates a 'too strong' signal, which in reality would overpower the receiver and it doesn't pick up the signal. On 343s that range is 15-20m, on the 148 it's closer to 40m, it can get somewhat annoying when you're doing radio checks. Another thing it simulates is radio antenna position, so if you're prone on the ground, your antenna will be horizontal (since the radio is strapped to your chest in an upright position) thus leading to signal geometry fail, and more lost comms.

    It's been a hell of a ride, but were slowly adjusting to it, and I have to say, the directional speech in ACRE is far, faaaaar superior to TFARs, and worth it just for that. SLs running to FTLs, or PL personally visiting SLs has become a thing now, radio handshakes and comms have become more consistent and concise.

    Those are the gameplay adjustments I had in mind, if anyone has any advice.


    Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

  4. #804
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,076
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    Another thing it simulates is radio antenna position, so if you're prone on the ground, your antenna will be horizontal (since the radio is strapped to your chest in an upright position) thus leading to signal geometry fail, and more lost comms.
    Dayum
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  5. #805
    Donor lubica's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    On the shitty side of the Alps
    Posts
    4,576
    It needed an actively serving Royal Marine of a group member, to point a few of those things out Fatnerd neckbeards can only armchair so many things.


    Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

  6. #806

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,049
    There still no vehicle radios in ACRE?

  7. #807
    Donor lubica's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    On the shitty side of the Alps
    Posts
    4,576
    Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    There still no vehicle radios in ACRE?
    Soon™

    e: I may actually be wrong here, and they're already in, fresh from the oven, just remembered we used onboard intercom on the heli ride on tonight's op.
    e2: intercoms =/= vehicle radios
    Last edited by lubica; March 21 2017 at 01:23:50 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

  8. #808
    Been having lots of good times in the mission Restrepo lately - works very well on my dedi box
    The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

  9. #809
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    4,914
    Any one interested in playing some EPOCH (or other persistent game mod) along with me. I will be around most evenings (UK) and about on the weekends?

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  10. #810
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Any one interested in playing some EPOCH (or other persistent game mod) along with me. I will be around most evenings (UK) and about on the weekends?
    Me, got any particular server in mind? How populated is it?

  11. #811
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    4,914
    No server in particular, I was playing on Todesstern Tanoa has an average of 20-30/80 pop.
    Steam Friend invite sent.

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  12. #812
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,685
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggghwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaayy to the Dangerrrrzonnnneee


  13. #813
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggghwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaayy to the Dangerrrrzonnnneee

    Fixed: http://youtubedoubler.com/l44I

  14. #814
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,685
    rofl. that actually key's up really well with several sections. gj

  15. #815
    Donor lubica's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    On the shitty side of the Alps
    Posts
    4,576
    So this thing is on sale again, you get the full game, Apex expansion and 3 DLC for €20 instead of €65

    http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410


    Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

  16. #816

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,049
    And the latest DLC is a pile of utterly pointless shit

  17. #817
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    4,914
    Orange DLC has one good component, the improved explosive interaction, mines etc. and defusing were extremely lacking in game play, even mods did not do much to make it better plus the dynamic loadouts tech that came with the planes DLC is a good change.
    I am still holding out for the tanks DLC to make the big changes though.

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  18. #818
    Donor lubica's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    On the shitty side of the Alps
    Posts
    4,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Orange DLC has one good component, the improved explosive interaction, mines etc. and defusing were extremely lacking in game play, even mods did not do much to make it better plus the dynamic loadouts tech that came with the planes DLC is a good change.
    I am still holding out for the tanks DLC to make the big changes though.
    yeah, arma currently does not simulate the impact, or bounce on an angled surface, if the surface is a vehicle. You could also try driving a humvee over a folding chair, see what happens...

    Other fun facts: throwing a smoke nade into somebody's face will not hurt them, but if you hit a vehicle wheel, it will destroy it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

  19. #819
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    4,914
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Orange DLC has one good component, the improved explosive interaction, mines etc. and defusing were extremely lacking in game play, even mods did not do much to make it better plus the dynamic loadouts tech that came with the planes DLC is a good change.
    I am still holding out for the tanks DLC to make the big changes though.
    yeah, arma currently does not simulate the impact, or bounce on an angled surface, if the surface is a vehicle. You could also try driving a humvee over a folding chair, see what happens...

    Other fun facts: throwing a smoke nade into somebody's face will not hurt them, but if you hit a vehicle wheel, it will destroy it.
    I wonder if the 'Tac OPS' DLC is just going to be more work on CTF and 5v5 game modes like Argo or if they are going to really pull the plug out all the stops and over haul CQB and door kicking, maybe some enhanced AI team work in close quarters.

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  20. #820
    Donor lubica's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    On the shitty side of the Alps
    Posts
    4,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Orange DLC has one good component, the improved explosive interaction, mines etc. and defusing were extremely lacking in game play, even mods did not do much to make it better plus the dynamic loadouts tech that came with the planes DLC is a good change.
    I am still holding out for the tanks DLC to make the big changes though.
    yeah, arma currently does not simulate the impact, or bounce on an angled surface, if the surface is a vehicle. You could also try driving a humvee over a folding chair, see what happens...

    Other fun facts: throwing a smoke nade into somebody's face will not hurt them, but if you hit a vehicle wheel, it will destroy it.
    I wonder if the 'Tac OPS' DLC is just going to be more work on CTF and 5v5 game modes like Argo or if they are going to really pull the plug out all the stops and over haul CQB and door kicking, maybe some enhanced AI team work in close quarters.
    I'd be happy with a properly overhauled AI commands system for zeus, instead of relying on scripted init files and shit, that doesn't really work properly either. For example, you put a squad of AI inf and a BTR down as support, if the squad and BTR are in separate groups, they won't really communicate, but if you group them together, they are properly deadly. However, if you group them together, you can't really give individual units detailed enough commands, where they could use their manpower and terrain to full effect. Not to mention how it all breaks down once combat for that unit actually starts.


    Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •