hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 303738394041 LastLast

Thread: Arma 3. Vietnam Ops. Vietnam Ops everywhere.

ok, stop teasing me
    please share contact details (PM is good), i want in (if you let me, i'm shit at arma)
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

ArmA humble bundle, if there's any interest

https://www.humblebundle.com/arma-bu...nt=cta_button0

Hey friznit, would you happen to know of a good ALiVE coop mpmission for Takistan/Chernarus for 2-5 players that also supports ACE?
    Been Googling quite a lot and haven't really found anything really suitable - thinking of maybe modding an existing ALiVE mission and add ACE support.
    The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

when you start doing that you'll figure out why there aren't any missions for it out there

hint: ACE does not care much for ALiVE

You're really better off making a mission in the editor yourself, but I guess it depends on what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    when you start doing that you'll figure out why there aren't any missions for it out there

You're really better off making a mission in the editor yourself, but I guess it depends on what you want to do.
    We've been running some customized MCC templates so far which have full ACE support, but woulda been nice to have ALiVE up and running in its full vigor too.
    Guess I'll hunt around some, see if I can find a compromise somewhere.

well, with 2-5 people I imagine you're looking for something that flies itself so to say, not likely that one of you would dedicate himself to being zeus-only (with some RC obv). But, otoh, by editing the unit's init field in the editor you can influence their behaviour (such as making them static, or w/e). Convoys are a pain to set-up properly, they tend to crash or just fucking break all the time...

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

ACE and ALIVE work together just fine and we work closely with the ACE team to ensure there are no blockers. There's some minor duplication of functionality in cargo scripts and player tags but you can choose whichever you prefer. Everything else about the two mods is mutually exclusive. If you know of any issues, let me know so I can log a ticket and get it resolved.

Check out this thread on our forum. Some of the earlier missions are probably out of date now but the templates are still worth looking at to get an idea how it all hangs together. I'd agree with lubica though, it's worth taking the time to get your head around mission editing so you can knock up your own. ALiVE was designed to take away a lot of the pain of building missions, although it creates fairly generic dynamic battlefield and is not so suited to building complex, story driven campaigns on its own.

MCC and ALiVE technically will work together but generally it's not recommended because they try to do similar things with the AI at an operational level, albeit with a very different approach and conflicts will occur unless you specifically disable elements of one or other tool. MCC is all about spawning stuff on the fly, whereas ALiVE attempts to simulate an ongoing operation with credibly realistic command, control and logistics. Both have their uses (as does Zeus) depending on what you want to achieve.

It's easy enough to de-pbo and drop a few ACE modules down but if you're hosting on a dedicated box, or even running a "local dedicated" server, then you can setup ACE serverside to run on all missions without having to edit them. By far the easiest method is to run arma3server.exe with a command line such as -mod=@CBA_A3;@ACE;@ALiVE;@ACE_Server then simply run up the game and join your own server. Alternatively you can use the ArmA3 Launcher to run a server and tweak command lines - just set the Server checkbox in parameters.

ACE has guidance on their website for how to export all the settings and create a custom userconfig so you can tweak everything to your personal preference.

By all means post on the ALiVE forum if you have questions - it's a good community there and they'll readily offer hints and tips.

Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post

ACE and ALIVE work together just fine and we work closely with the ACE team to ensure there are no blockers. There's some minor duplication of functionality in cargo scripts and player tags but you can choose whichever you prefer. Everything else about the two mods is mutually exclusive. If you know of any issues, let me know so I can log a ticket and get it resolved.

Check out this thread on our forum. Some of the earlier missions are probably out of date now but the templates are still worth looking at to get an idea how it all hangs together. I'd agree with lubica though, it's worth taking the time to get your head around mission editing so you can knock up your own. ALiVE was designed to take away a lot of the pain of building missions, although it creates fairly generic dynamic battlefield and is not so suited to building complex, story driven campaigns on its own.

MCC and ALiVE technically will work together but generally it's not recommended because they try to do similar things with the AI at an operational level, albeit with a very different approach and conflicts will occur unless you specifically disable elements of one or other tool. MCC is all about spawning stuff on the fly, whereas ALiVE attempts to simulate an ongoing operation with credibly realistic command, control and logistics. Both have their uses (as does Zeus) depending on what you want to achieve.

It's easy enough to de-pbo and drop a few ACE modules down but if you're hosting on a dedicated box, or even running a "local dedicated" server, then you can setup ACE serverside to run on all missions without having to edit them. By far the easiest method is to run arma3server.exe with a command line such as -mod=@CBA_A3;@ACE;@ALiVE;@ACE_Server then simply run up the game and join your own server. Alternatively you can use the ArmA3 Launcher to run a server and tweak command lines - just set the Server checkbox in parameters.

ACE has guidance on their website for how to export all the settings and create a custom userconfig so you can tweak everything to your personal preference.

By all means post on the ALiVE forum if you have questions - it's a good community there and they'll readily offer hints and tips.
    Thanks for the reply!

I've been using ACE server all the way on my dedicated box - altho I was not aware you didn't need ACE modules placed in the mission.
    That opens up a whole lot of options mission-wise (don't have to look for ACE-specific ones..).

We tried the mission "Hearts and Minds" tonight - so far it seems to fit the bill quite nicely, even tho we are too few players.

I'd recommend Antistasi for smaller number of players. Works fine with ACE and is an awesome mission for playing the insurgent.

I'd recommend Antistasi for smaller number of players. Works fine with ACE and is an awesome mission for playing the insurgent.
    +1 on that

I used to play tons of Benny's Edition Warfare many moons ago in Arma 2. Is they an Arma 3 equivalent? I bought it prior to beta and it occurred to me that I've not actually played/installed Arma 3 since it release yet at all

Lots of warfare style game modes around. I think BE may even have a direct port.

Lots of warfare style game modes around. I think BE may even have a direct port.
    Is your ALiVE thingy similar? an evolution of that sort of thing?

Not really, no. Warfare is sort of a first person RTS - build base, buy toys for eMoney, attack enemy base. ALiVE otoh is designed to simulate the operational level of warfare, which is otherwise entirely missing from pretty much every game ever. Our aim was have an AI commander conduct a discernible military campaign, including all aspects of Command, Control, Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance and Logistics (C2ISR & Log), then allow players to influence it in a tactically meaningful way. The other objective was to make a mission building framework that was flexible but intuitive enough that you could throw together a full-map dynamic campaign in a few minutes. It does a reasonable job of both, given the painful limitation of the RV scripting engine and the godawful AI. One of my biggest issues at the moment is that a lot of the clever shit that goes on under the hood is not obvious to the player, so unless you know what to look for you wouldn't be aware that interdicting that convoy of battle casualty replacements would have a significant impact on the AI commander's capability to advance. Plus a million other ideas that we'd love to implement but never had the time!

Will the new update affect ALiVE significantly, friznit? (for example Dynamic Simulation)

Dynamic Simulation is largely redundant in the context of ALiVE as we virtualise units at range from the player anyway, with the added benefit that we can continue to simulate movement and battle interactions in the virtual world whereas DS simply freezes everything. x64 client should speed up loading, especially with many mods, and our testing shows that it reduces stuttering when units spawn in significantly. It will also give you a massive 1 FPS increase. Beyond that, unless anything is hopelessly broken by BIS (very likely), there are some handy new functions we can play with. Should be a new release out soon, all being well.

Arma 3 is now 64 bit, how do I change my Steam shortcut to run the 64 bit .exe instead of the 32 bit?

Do you need to change Arma 3's launcher's "Play" target somehow?
    Edit: Launcher -> Parameters -> Platform: 64-bit.
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Arma 3 is now 64 bit, how do I change my Steam shortcut to run the 64 bit .exe instead of the 32 bit?

Do you need to change Arma 3's launcher's "Play" target somehow?
    Edit: Launcher -> Parameters -> Platform: 64-bit.
    I wondered the same - apparently, at least for me, the change was automatic (seems the game recognizes your systems setup)

Bohemia made it so it defaults to 64-bit now.

Btw, anyone here have experience in transitioning from TFAR to ACRE2? Group gameplay adjustment specifically.

Every time we try ACRE2 we run into some bug that makes us go back to TFAR, though I've not tried for a few months. Essentially there's no massive difference from a gameplay perspective though - some buggering around with keys so you can have 2 PTT's for each radio same as with TFAR (only relevant if you're in a command role with more than one net) and/or alternate channels depending how you roll. The rest is just figuring out which buttons to press to make frequency changes. ACRE2 has much better spatial chat and the signal attenuation is very well done of course. Otoh, TFAR isn't broken and is good enough for what it does so I've never had a strong enough case to switch (plus there's the need to update all our in house mods).

Ref x64 ArmA - I was mooching around on Kalu Khan today after re-indexing it for ALiVE. Whacked view distance to 20k, dropped some ALiVE modules with 2000 virtual groups and put spawn to 3000m, then took a jet out on a flight through the mountains. Game was smooth as you like...until I got a SAM up the arse anyway.