hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flipping an Egg

Flipping an Egg

As per topic, somehow I lost the ability to flip eggs. I finally got a job that has me home and not traveling all the damn time. So I've been able to cook more for myself. I have however lost the art of flipping eggs. Not sure if it's the utensils, the temperature I cook at or something else. Either way the number of over-medium, wait nevermind scrambled eggs I have made is reaching troubling proportions.

Help me FHC you are my only hope.

Re: Flipping an Egg

Why would you do that? The yellow should be liquid.

I have just made a mistake of leaving eggs on hot pan to smoke a cig. Tastes like socks.

I used to love sunny side up eggs until I found that restaurants sucked at cooking them. I want the yolk to be runny *without* having a pool of clear liquid surrounding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
    I knew you'd post on here right away you fucking piece of shit

so the yolk keeps breaking? i usually lift the egg out of the pan with a spatula and bring the pan up and slowly flip it into the pan. how is this a thread lol

No need to flip eggs, you simply have the pan too hot (they burn) or too cold (runny alblumen).
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo
    The evolution of the meme. From shipspinning to meatspinning.

My stove has a 10-scale (for reference). I only keep it at 10 to get the pan properly hot in the beginning, so the egg gets a structure fast and doesn't run all over the pan. Then I go down to 7ish. Regardless whether you use oil or butter, what you want to do if you flip your eggs is tilt the pan and spoon the fat over the yolk, which will give it enough "sturdiness" to survive the flipping, at least thats how I do it and the yolk is still runny if you get the timing right.

I don't get it. So you've eggs in the pan, and want to flip it? Why flip it This basicly means you put the yolk directly on the pan or what mindfuck am I suffering from?
    Look, I'm that pro to spell my name incorrectly \o/
    Queers be bitchin'

It sounds like you've gained the ability to not do silly things to eggs rather than lost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Formos Funus
    I don't get it. So you've eggs in the pan, and want to flip it? Why flip it This basicly means you put the yolk directly on the pan or what mindfuck am I suffering from?
    Yes, but you only keep it shortly on that side for the finish. Its mostly done when you serve the fried egg on a toast to eat, so it doesn't explode when you bite into it. Then they look like this:

If you got the timing and technique down, the yolk is still runny.

Quote Originally Posted by chadsexington
    I used to love sunny side up eggs until I found that restaurants sucked at cooking them. I want the yolk to be runny *without* having a pool of clear liquid surrounding it.
    Thats what a sunnyside up egg is, runny yoke with parts of the whites still liquid. You want over easy, or possibly over medium, some places have some whites liquid in over easy.

Gonna make some epic fried eggs and post it here via my shitty 0.3mpx webcam.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar

I dont understand why anyone would flip an egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bielz
    Thats what a sunnyside up egg is, runny yoke with parts of the whites still liquid. You want over easy, or possibly over medium, some places have some whites liquid in over easy.
    Or, as english people know them, "fried eggs"

There is no variation - all eggs should come with firm white and completely runny yolk. Anything else is sacrilege verging on warcrime.

Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielz
    Or, as english people know them, "fried eggs"

There is no variation - all eggs should come with firm white and completely runny yolk. Anything else is sacrilege verging on warcrime.
    I'ma quote the shit out of this...
    I'm not a girl, and I don't know what a "Mendolorian" is.. I think it might be a self healing car that travels through time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuto
    Quote Originally Posted by Formos Funus
    Yes, but you only keep it shortly on that side for the finish. Its mostly done when you serve the fried egg on a toast to eat, so it doesn't explode when you bite into it. Then they look like this:

If you got the timing and technique down, the yolk is still runny.
    Ooooh, that's how they do that! Makes a lot of sense now, should try that today too.

I've 12 eggs left and tomorrow I go on vacation, so lots of eggs to practice \o/
    Look, I'm that pro to spell my name incorrectly \o/
    Queers be bitchin'

If I've ballsed up the temp on the eggs a bit and the white is cooked on the arse and not the top I find putting the frying pan under a hot grill for a few seconds sorts that out sharpish. Much simpler than this over-easy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eszencia
    If I've ballsed up the temp on the eggs a bit and the white is cooked on the arse and not the top I find putting the frying pan under a hot grill for a few seconds sorts that out sharpish. Much simpler than this over-easy stuff.
    eww that ruins eggs.

Srsly just use a good pan that accumulates enough heat and your eggs and pancakes won't be shit if you got temperature and timing right.

Bonus points for cast iron.

AWWW YEAH

Now I'm hungry