hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Change in Security Status Mechanism - Ratting

Change in Security Status Mechanism - Ratting

Grinding security status sucks - its not "fun", its slow, and the ratio of ratting to PvP kills is easily 10 to 1 or more (must kill at least 10 BS rats to cover the security status hit you take for 1 PvP kill in lo sec or hi sec)

Once upon a time (pre-crucible) our corp (The Executioners - TEXN) used to conduct 0.0 roams (preferably drunken) to get a few kills and also to grind security status. We'd enter a system, scatter to the belts, find the biggest rat, everyone would warp to it and shoot it, and everyone would get the full security status increase. Rinse and repeat as we went.

Now since the release of Crucible, only 1 player is getting the security status increase. We tried different approaches (stay on grid, keep point/neuts on, etc) but the bottom line is that a mechanism that worked one way is now different after Crucible, without any info from CCP that this was changing.

File a petition you say! I did, and the following is the reply I received from CCP:

This MAY have been an unannounced change, I haven't been able to confirm that as we don't have any pre-crucible servers available here in customer service which we can test that on. However it's definitely by design right now that only the player who lays the final blow gets the standing. If you want to see it changed back, then I encourage you to post that on the Features and Ideas Discussion forum. You can find the forums here:

https://forums.eveonline.com/

The devs do read the forums and your input there can influence their decisions in the future.

Best regards,
    GM Zerat
    EVE Online Customer Support

I've posted on Failheap as I thought this might be of interest to some, and also to seek your thoughts about other ways to maintain security status while still conducting regular PvP in lo-sec, with the occasional "lets kill a freighter, shall we" in hi sec.

Thanx in advance for all replies that say "screw security status - just go -10".

Wtf is this shit. If this is the case then the rat sec increase needs to be upped by alot

this is a gay phone post

Quote Originally Posted by Mane Frehm View Post
    Grinding security status sucks - its not "fun", its slow, and the ratio of ratting to PvP kills is easily 10 to 1 or more (must kill at least 10 BS rats to cover the security status hit you take for 1 PvP kill in lo sec or hi sec)
    So you have to kill 10 whole rats to clear your sheet of a crime committed right under the nose of the police?

Pick one:

(a) Boo
    (b) Hoo
    (c) A-bloo

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

I had noticed my main's sec only climbing very slowly running plexes with my alt.

Not a single fuck was given.

It isn't difficult to grab a max DPS AF now and grind sec back, they do 300 DPS with a nice tank, bomber, vaga or cynabal also work very well.
    If you have a gang together in null then why bother ratting, most people don't want to hang about waiting for one person to run errands for themselves.

IS-4, T110E5, T-54, E-50, IS-8, M103, T34, Type 59, M26 Pershing, AMX 13 90, KV-3, SU-122-44, AMX AC Mle. 1946, SU-101, T20, T71, T25/2, KV-1S, T21, Jgdpzr IV, Sherman E8, GW Panther, AMX 12t, M18, Stug III, T-50-2, T-34, PzIV, ELC AMX, Crusader, Covenanter, SU-26, T1, RenaultFT.

I did not notice such behavior at all, while corpmates seem to be suffering from it. I also did not get the final blow all the time, but an increase in sec nonetheless.

Sec is a terrible system.

...posted from a potato.

Quote Originally Posted by Takon Orlani View Post
    Sec is a terrible system.

...posted from a potato.
    This

One of the few things in game I've never done is go below -3 Sec, not because I care about my sec status, but because the thought of having to grind back from -whatever so I can enter HS in the future makes me cry. I would rather quit than grind back from -10 in it's current state.

(+5 sec status crew checking in, but I've lived in null for 4 years)
    yes, I am Le terribad at BF3

I've given up on sec. Spent too much time in the militia so I can't easily go in to Gallente or Minnie space anways. Shit sucks m8rs.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    So you have to kill 10 whole rats to clear your sheet of a crime committed right under the nose of the police?

Pick one:

(a) Boo
    (b) Hoo
    (c) A-bloo

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Marram View Post
    Not a single fuck was given.

It isn't difficult to grab a max DPS AF now and grind sec back, they do 300 DPS with a nice tank, bomber, vaga or cynabal also work very well.
    If you have a gang together in null then why bother ratting, most people don't want to hang about waiting for one person to run errands for themselves.
    The point of the OP is NOT about the amount of rats it takes to grind your sec back up.
    The complaint is that since crucible only the final blow on a rat gets the sec increase.

I have noticed it too. It sucks because with the previous mechanic you could actually make secratting less boring by making a groupthing out of it, now it will be purely a solo activity.

OP if you make a thread on Eve-o i'll gladly support it and link it around

I wonder what other changes were done and not announced.

Reasons for me to enter highsec:

- Gank Miners
    - Gank Haulers

Being -10 does not prevent me from doing these things. Sec is working fine for me.

This sucks.

Donor
    I used to just grab 2 or 3 L4 missions in neighbouring systems and fly between each one, shooting one BS rat then warping out. You end up getting like +0.2 sec every 6 mins or so, consistently. Of course it does rely on you not being much below -2 to begin with, but you can do the same thing in 0.0 too.

Want to keep ganking afk haulers, miners and noob ratters in low and high-sec, enjoy the tedious ratting that comes with it. Don;t like it, there are two mechanics available, move to nullsec or WarDec the CareBears.

I'm glad recovery of sec-status is hard, it should be. You broke the Law in NPC CareBear Space, i.e. you are Space Pirate Arghh!!!, and all you have to do is go shoot a few drones and the Law suddenly goes "oh, you're an ok dude after all, go ahead, gank some more!". If it were up to me, Sec Recovery would be even harder, and Anti-Pirate's would have more power to chase and kill you.

TLDR: Not a single fuck is given.

AFAIK only highest bounty npc within 15 minute ticks is counted. So you could kill 100 BS in that time and it wouldn't matter.

Sec hits in lowsec are too high. Clawing sec back takes ages.

And unless you have a freighter alt, or an alt who can fly everything, getting new spaceships to lowsec is a pain in the bum.

Surprised by the general hostility to the concept of changing lowsec sec loss, surely more pvp is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Want to keep ganking afk haulers, miners and noob ratters in low and high-sec, enjoy the tedious ratting that comes with it. Don;t like it, there are two mechanics available, move to nullsec or WarDec the CareBears.

I'm glad recovery of sec-status is hard, it should be. You broke the Law in NPC CareBear Space, i.e. you are Space Pirate Arghh!!!, and all you have to do is go shoot a few drones and the Law suddenly goes "oh, you're an ok dude after all, go ahead, gank some more!". If it were up to me, Sec Recovery would be even harder, and Anti-Pirate's would have more power to chase and kill you.

TLDR: Not a single fuck is given.
    The problem isn't that you have to grind, grind, grind your way up. The problem is the grind is a mind warpingly boring PvE activity. If for example blowing up -10 sec status PLAYERS raised your sec status I would support your post all the way. As it is though? You get 'punished' for a form of PvP by having to rat? That is too stupid for words.

Make the grind as hard as it needs to be but make it something other then a ridiculous pve activity.

---

As to the OP - raise it on EVE-O and I will support it. Making sec status grind even more of a solo boring activity is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynnik View Post
    The problem isn't that you have to grind, grind, grind your way up. The problem is the grind is a mind warpingly boring PvE activity.
    What alternative "punishment" is there? I'm all for folks choosing to be Evil Space Pirates, but in supposed "Lawful" Space like High-Sec at the least, there has to be some actual Law beyond instapop CONCORD.

If for example blowing up -10 sec status PLAYERS raised your sec status I would support your post all the way. As it is though? You get 'punished' for a form of PvP by having to rat? That is too stupid for words.
    And how long would THAT grind take? Lifetimes, I'd guess.

And abusable. Two -10's shoot each other in T1 Frigs over and over till sec-cleaned, back to high-sec ganking, rinse, repeat.

I'm all for other methods of sec. recovery....the trouble is finding one that is an actual "punishment" for breaking the Law and killing Empire Dwelling "Citizens".

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynnik View Post
    The problem isn't that you have to grind, grind, grind your way up. The problem is the grind is a mind warpingly boring PvE activity.
    What alternative "punishment" is there? I'm all for folks choosing to be Evil Space Pirates, but in supposed "Lawful" Space like High-Sec at the least, there has to be some actual Law beyond instapop CONCORD.

If for example blowing up -10 sec status PLAYERS raised your sec status I would support your post all the way. As it is though? You get 'punished' for a form of PvP by having to rat? That is too stupid for words.
    And how long would THAT grind take? Lifetimes, I'd guess.

And abusable. Two -10's shoot each other in T1 Frigs over and over till sec-cleaned, back to high-sec ganking, rinse, repeat.

I'm all for other methods of sec. recovery....the trouble is finding one that is an actual "punishment" for breaking the Law and killing Empire Dwelling "Citizens".
    So why are you supporting that recovery of sec be something that absolutely has to be done solo because it doesn't work at all in a group? This is an MMO, not a single player game. Forcing someone to go out, all alone, and mindlessly shoot rats to fix their sec is not a good game mechanic because it can not be done in a group at all.