hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An example of how not to do things

Of course it's shit, did you look at where he ordered it? It's one of those terrible "BUILD YOUR OWN PC ONLINE" sites for dummies.

Meh, have seen lots of coverage of CyberPower's higher end machines and they generally seem to be positive, although they are massively guilty of the lazy overclock. I'm surprised at some of the massively low end parts they use, but I guess all boutiques will sell trash as well as nice kit in order to keep margins high.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Your new system is already outdated, and will probably explode due to the $20 PSU.

You could have ordered quality parts from a quality supplier for cheaper. If you are scared to assemble it yourself, you can even get them to assemble it for you for $50 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Your new system is already outdated, and will probably explode due to the $20 PSU.

You could have ordered quality parts from a quality supplier for cheaper. If you are scared to assemble it yourself, you can even get them to assemble it for you for $50 or something.
    Not scared of assembly, just I didn't/don't really see me saving that much money to actually make it worth the :EFFORT:

I have relatively limited free time IRL as it is, and have many other things I'd rather spend my time on(cleaning apt, filling out forms, paying bills, playing piano, investments irl, chilling w/friends, and ofc playing eve with online friends, oh AND PONIES).

Assembling a computer would cut into one or all of those other activities, and at least at the level I'm looking at, I'm not saving enough money for it to be worth it.

I have taken the note of the comments about the gfx card being ~bad~ and the possible PSU issues. Over time, if I'm not satisfied(I'm not looking for something amazing, remember I'm running on ~2004/5 hardware right NOW), I'll prob upgrade the gfx card, and before that/at same time, the PSU. I do plan on adding more RAM shortly as that's the cheapest/easiest to replace/augment.

I wasn't aware that I could order parts and have it assembled by them for an additional fee, next time I buy an entirely new computer(prob 4-10 years down the road). I will keep that in mind as I can almost guarantee my time will be far too valuable to bother wasting on assembling a computer at that point.

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

Assembling a computer takes ~1h unless your a complete retard from the time you got all the boxes on the floor to starting to install win7
    If you can't afford paying for better hardware, why would it make sense to pay for something as easy and non-time consuming as that?

Quote Originally Posted by LordsServant View Post

Not scared of assembly, just I didn't/don't really see me saving that much money to actually make it worth the :EFFORT:

I have relatively limited free time IRL as it is, and have many other things I'd rather spend my time on(cleaning apt, filling out forms, paying bills, playing piano, investments irl, chilling w/friends, and ofc playing eve with online friends, oh AND PONIES).

Assembling a computer would cut into one or all of those other activities, and at least at the level I'm looking at, I'm not saving enough money for it to be worth it.

I have taken the note of the comments about the gfx card being ~bad~ and the possible PSU issues. Over time, if I'm not satisfied(I'm not looking for something amazing, remember I'm running on ~2004/5 hardware right NOW), I'll prob upgrade the gfx card, and before that/at same time, the PSU. I do plan on adding more RAM shortly as that's the cheapest/easiest to replace/augment.

I wasn't aware that I could order parts and have it assembled by them for an additional fee, next time I buy an entirely new computer(prob 4-10 years down the road). I will keep that in mind as I can almost guarantee my time will be far too valuable to bother wasting on assembling a computer at that point.
    Yeah furthering your knowledge in :COMPUTARS: so that you don't buy outdated hardware for a shit price, disregarding all the advice people gave would really be a bad decision.

If you don't want to build yourself, just get some opinions on local hardware shops and choose the best one, let them assemble one for you. That way, everytime something breaks you can waltz in and say "MAGIC BOX BRAEK! MAKE WORK VIDEOGAME!", put down some money to support small local businesses and pick it up a couple days later without having to worry about such things as thinking yourself and mailing parts all around the country and waiting for them to return.

I mean, it should be common knowledge that skimping is never a good idea, and especially not with tools you want to use daily, for years....

My mind, it is full of fuck.

You paid a $200 premium on low/mid range equipment, but apparently an hour of your time is worth more to you than $200? Love to know what you do for a living that you can make that value judgement.

Assembling a PC, as someone already said, takes approximately 1 hour from unboxing to installing operating system. Say 2 hours tops (and 2 hours is only if you install Windows via an optical drive onto a traditional hard drive. Do it via a USB3 stick onto an SSD and it will take less than 10min). If you got any technical minded friends, turn it into a social exercise and get them to help. Have a couple of beers (AFTER you install CPU obvs.) then marvel at your new shiny piece of kit and have more beers.

The major issue in that system is that power supply - it is inefficient, outdated, and unsafe. Companies like that should be taken to court and sued out of existence for selling that kind of part - the part isn't even available in the EU, presumably because it hasn't reached even the minimum safety standards in order to safely sell it here, and believe me, those standards are low. I would not trust that power supply to run my toaster or my kettle, let alone my $800 PC. It will also cost you a fortune on your power bill as it is probably 70% efficient at best.

So by your own admission you are going to upgrade the parts other people have identified as 'bad', probably costing you $300. We are now at a $500 premium for a PC that will do the job quite well for the next 2/3 years but is nowhere near as good as you could have done yourself, whilst also learning something.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

If by "learning something" Zekk means "learning to plug the square peg into the square hole, not the round hole" I suppose building a PC can be a learning experience. But if you need to learn that, get one of these:

The hardest bit is the CPU. You have to make sure the little triangles are at the same corner. I suppose learning to apply thermal paste is something, but since it's "put a dab on, then spread it back and forth to cover the surface" you probably learned that step the first time you made toast.

Kiddy block game + buttering toast + use of a screwdriver = all the skills needed to build a computer. You don't even need to know how to read, since all the instructions that come with various parts are usually pictographic.

I'm not sure what the status of my PC build is, but is there any way I could [*redacted n/a semi-specific stuff*] upgrade my PSU a bit? I've been hearing some bad stuff from a lot of people I know about the one I currently have ordered.

If the computer is already in assembly/done don't worry about it, but if it's not I'd really really like it swapped out for a better one.

-[Lords]
    Yes I actually sign all my emails -MyName irl(It's where the -Lords habit originally came from). Anyhoo, hopefully I can get the PSU swapped out. I don't want an extreme high end PC for two reasons. 1) I have plans for my future that don't involve me having access to a computer very often. I don't want to spend all my money on a computer that I will use max 6-12 months, and then come back in 4-8 and find it obsolete. 2) My method of funding the computer, while sizeable, isn't limitless. I don't want to put myself in a strained financial situation over a computer.

I'd like to see how this works out, and if things are pretty shit with the graphics card, I'll buy one off of newegg or w/e and install it myself(I'm literally halfway through a computer science B.S. irl, temporarily out of money. I honestly don't like hardware that much, I greatly prefer building my constructs out of code, rather than precious metals and silicon). I honestly don't see this being a huge problem. As long as it can run several clients of eve lag-free on low-med settings, or just 1 on high-max/ultra settings I'll be very happy.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default...267#post115267

It might well manage one client on high settings at 30fps.

Nobody said you had to buy an extreme high end PC - hell mine's not by any stretch of the imagination. It's just the budget you have spent on that PC could have been much better spent were you willing to put an hour or so of your own time into doing it.

XenosisReaper
    I read this thread and alternated between YOU MUST BE NEW HERE and WOLOLOLOLOL faces.

Donor

Your story doesn't make any fucking sense at all. You're probably just some just out of school tard who thinks having a job is something speshul.
    Welcome to the world of grownups, where we work 40 hours a week for our boss, 20 for ourselves and find time to relax and put a computer together.

XenosisReaper
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordservant
    I can almost guarantee my time will be far too valuable to bother wasting on assembling a computer at that point.
    You should probably kill yourself right the fuck now.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisReaper View Post
    I can almost guarantee my time will be far too valuable to bother wasting on assembling a computer at that point.
    His time is valuable ok, he spends it lagging out in computer games, posting about spaceships and watching children's cartoons.

THIS SHIT IS SRS. Might as well buy shitty chinese parts and justify it to internet people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

His time is valuable ok, he spends it lagging out in computer games, posting about spaceships and watching children's cartoons.

THIS SHIT IS SRS. Might as well buy shitty chinese parts and justify it to internet people.
    No fucks given.

New pc arrives today.

SOEXCITED.jpg

=-)

XenosisReaper

No fucks given.

New pc arrives today.

SOEXCITED.jpg

=-)
    inb4 "guys my PSU blew up, why didn't you warn me"

Comp arrived, now partially RAGING over having to do exactly wtf I didnt want to do - IE install fucking windows.

Comp doesnt appear to want to boot off of HD, so Im having to boot off the Windows 7 cd they gave me with it...for some reason it contains copies of home, premium, AND ultimate, yet I only asked for premium. Gonna install premium as my guess is ultimate will just ask me for a key I dont have.

Will update with more info once I solve this issue.

Not amused.

Didn't have to install windows after all. Something with the bios was fucked or w/e

Did some fucking around and physically opened up computer to double check connections as it insisted I didn't have an HD for about 5 minutes :S

I paid the premium to avoid having to do EXACTLY THIS. Goddamnit. I want my 30m of my life back ><
    Last edited by LordsServant; March 20 2012 at 03:29:47 PM.

XenosisReaper
    Comp arrived, now partially RAGING over having to do exactly wtf I didnt want to do - IE install fucking windows.

Comp doesnt appear to want to boot off of HD, so Im having to boot off the Windows 7 cd they gave me with it...for some reason it contains copies of home, premium, AND ultimate, yet I only asked for premium. Gonna install premium as my guess is ultimate will just ask me for a key I dont have.

Will update with more info once I solve this issue.

Not amused.

Didn't have to install windows after all. Something with the bios was fucked or w/e

Did some fucking around and physically opened up computer to double check connections as it insisted I didn't have an HD for about 5 minutes :S

I paid the premium to avoid having to do EXACTLY THIS. Goddamnit. I want my 30m of my life back ><
    I'm surpised you can even breath without having someone else squeeze your lungs for you.

Please kill yourself

FINALLY got computer working.

Installed Google Chrome, and watching Pink Party Pony Pandemonium on my new monitor AND pc in glorious high def with absolutely zero lag.

ITS SO BEAUTIFUL MAN! =D

Also, swear if I have another problem with this computer Imma keel something. Didn't have to call tech support (I hate phones) so that's a good thing so far.

Let's see if I can remember my PW to fhc so I can actually log in on that computer for a firstpoast. :P

EDIT - loading up other vids I know and seeing how they run in full 1080 (or at least what utube claims is 1080) in fullscreen. My previous comp couldnt do this....this is so awesome.

Reset PW as couldn't remember old one.

First poast on new comp.

Also, as an FYI - I did get the PSU changed to a better one, so zero fucks given. =D