hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An example of how not to do things

I'm fucking terrible with electronics and I made my own computer last year easy enough.

Yes, putting together a PC isn't hard. It's mostly a thing of overcoming the "omg, electronic components open to the air, what if I damage them by looking at them wrong!!" panic.
    You do not need to be a technical guru there, it is virtually impossible to wire them wrong. Pretty much the only way to noob it up would be to try to force components (like Ram) in the wrong way. With "wrong way" meaning "physically impossible to fit because of shape". So just check and double check if something is aligned the right way and you are at the right slot (check manual) before applying force on it (it can take a bit of preassure to insert the Ram and Graphics Card).

It is harder to get a good mix of components than putting them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryas Nia View Post
    Touch on a PC is a waste of time, you may think that it will be awesome but it will be a gee wow for all of 5 min and then back to using the mouse+keyboard. Touch is only effective on tablets and phones.

Windows as an OS simply does not work well with touch.
    And even if it does or claims it does (hello, windows 8) it is still kinda pointless on a larger screen. You simply have to move your arm too much for it to be more ergonomic than using a mouse. Its only useful for those moments when you forget that you are not on a touchscreen and forget to use the mouse.

Er you do need to take a bit of care with static and which parts you touch. You can't just start the party by rubbing balloons on your jumper and then licking all the slots.
    Also there's reading which bits to put together before you put the mobo into the case, and which are best done after.

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotDaneel View Post
    Er you do need to take a bit of care with static and which parts you touch. You can't just start the party by rubbing balloons on your jumper and then licking all the slots.
    Also there's reading which bits to put together before you put the mobo into the case, and which are best done after.
    Anti-static: ground yourself first. Touch a pipe or something with a grounded case (3-pin power connector). I tend to just touch my soldering iron, as it's on the workbench and grounded anyway (Hakko FX-888 is ESD-safe with conductive grounded plastic).

Best done before sticking the MB in: Anything that isn't bulky (no heatsink, no video card) and anything that won't block you from screwing the MB in. Some cases have a MB tray so you don't have to worry about screws. That said, nothing has to be done before putting the MB in, it can just be a bit harder to get things like a front-panel audio+power switches header plugged in right.

Making golden statues and raising your insurance premiums
    That depends how awkward the heatsink is and how much space you have to manouvre around it once the motherboard is screwed in. Sometimes it can be much easier to attach the heatsink first.

Yeah, I would generally do an external install of the heatsink, especially for an aftermarket job. They're bulky and awkward. Generally I do CPU, RAM + Heatsink externally, prep the case wiring, then install the board.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

I personally just used rubber gloves when touching computer components, like those really cheap latex throwaways. It prevents static because rubber conducts very poorly. What I am more worried is touching the components with my hands which can have dirt or oil on them and I'd rather not put that on the components.

Quote Originally Posted by Devec View Post
    You can't just start the party by rubbing balloons on your jumper
    I personally just used rubber gloves when touching computer components, like those really cheap latex throwaways. It prevents static because rubber conducts very poorly.
    :notsureifserious:
    How do you think something gets & keeps a static charge if it's a good conductor anyway... what do you think balloons are made from?

Personally I always dislike the pressure required to push RAM in, I can't believe anyone would want to do that to the mobo once it's suspended by 6-9pins.
    Last edited by TotallyNotDaneel; February 26 2012 at 12:20:10 PM.

plug PSU in wall(but do not turn on), touch, proceed to build PC.. Seriously its not that fucking hard... Unless you are actively trying, you are not going to mess anything up.. Ive probably buildt one or two PCs a month for the last 6-7 years for friends and family and i have yet to experience anything die from static electricity.. Its a non issue effectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

We had chips die in Electronics class from people touching their pins. I've just been taught to not be a retard like them. I'm not saying it's complex, it's just there is at least 1 step required to avoid having to RMA your new toy.

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    So I went out and purchased a 23" Widescreen monitor yesterday while browsing my area's local electronic/pc stores. Took it home, put it on existing desktop hardware, and tried to play eve.

FPS is actually up(45-50fps @ old settings) and I can still keep it in playable fps for me(15-25) @ medium settings with effects. Wtf? Should I be getting fps boosts from buying a monitor only? I would've thought if anything fps would go down as the gfx card is working at filling more pixels/space.

Can anyone explain exactly what happened/is happening? The new monitor gave me a huge boost in performance, and altho I still want a new computer, it isn't quite as urgent now.

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

I would go with whatever Ryas says tbh. The somewhat outdated hardware thread still gives pretty solid advice imo. These days more people go with SSD than a year ago (well, a LOT more people). But really the advice in there is still good and nothing much seems to have happened since the last updates.

If you can find a i5 2500 based system with any geforce 460 or similarly specced card and 8 GB of RAM you should be golden. You could probably go with even cheaper gfx, but not sure its worth it. Cheapass 24" screens get the job done well enough for most parts - find the cheapest you can and buy it (well, obivously you want HDMI/DVI input and full HD. But dont think they try selling screens without anymore?).

Quote Originally Posted by LordsServant View Post

Can anyone explain exactly what happened/is happening? The new monitor gave me a huge boost in performance, and altho I still want a new computer, it isn't quite as urgent now.
    Either you lowered your ingame resolution when installing new screen and didnt notice or its magic. (Could also be that your old screen was so old it ran in some insane driver compability mode that ate your CPU cycles, but that sounds rather far fetched.)

CyberPower H67 Configurator (NO MONITOR) CFGI3Z, http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/C..._Configurator/
    *BASE_PRICE: [+459]
    BLUETOOTH: None
    CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-14]
    CASUPGRADE: None
    C 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    CD2: None
    COOLANT: Standard Coolant
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [+80]
    CS_FAN: Default case fans
    ENGRAVING: None
    FA_HD None
    FAN: Intel LGA1156 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
    FLASHMEDIA: None [-3]
    FREEBIE_CS: None
    GLASSES: None
    HD 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+16] (Single Drive)
    HDD2: None
    IEEE_CAR None
    IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    KEYBOAR Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    MB_SRT: None
    MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+48] (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MONITOR: None
    MONITOR2: None
    MONITOR3: None
    MOTHERBOAR * [CrossFireX/SLI] GigaByte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 mATX MB w/ Lucid Virtu Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X4 & 1 PCIe X1 (All Venom OC Certified) [+68]
    MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    NCSW: None
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
    OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    POWERSUPPLY: 450 Watts - Standard Case Power Supply
    RUSH: RUSH!!! READY TO SHIP IN 5 BUSINESS DAYS [+49]
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    SOFT1: Free Microsoft® Office® 2010 STARTER EDITION (Reduced-Functionality versions of Word and Excel that include advertising) [+0]
    SOUN HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    SPEAKERS: None
    TEMP: None
    TUNING: None
    TVRC: None
    USB: None
    USBFLASH: None
    USBH None
    USBX: None
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+49] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    VIDEO2: None
    VIDEO3: None
    WNC: 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+26]
    _PRICE: (+862)

This is the end result of my computer buying.

I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to buy it right now but in a fit of rage after having my computer freeze from a lag spike (they happen very often) AFTER pressing jump and then not loading up til I was already in the next system and UNCLOAKED from the timer...I decided no fucks would be given about the bill and bought one. Its not top top notch but it should run eve quite well for a while to come.

New monitor DOES still give me FPS boost, but it randomly seems to crash when I jump into systems and/or change WHs.

Any thoughts?

My personal guess is my old screen was so old/awful it ran in that driver compat mode u were talking about. Also, my CPU was/is a Pentium 4, so nbs that it would rape my CPU no matter what :P

Not surprised the dude who starts a stoner thread is too dumb/lazy to build his own PC or even format the info so that it is readable for the people he wants help from properly.

Adjust list:

POWERSUPPLY: 450 Watts - Standard Case Power Supply

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [+80]

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+49] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

MOTHERBOAR * [CrossFireX/SLI] GigaByte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 mATX MB w/ Lucid Virtu Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X4 & 1 PCIe X1 (All Venom OC Certified) [+68]

MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+48] (Corsair or Major Brand)

HD 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+16] (Single Drive)

CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-14
    FAN: Intel LGA1156 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
    C 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    COOLANT: Standard Coolant

CS_FAN: Default case fans
    KEYBOAR Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
    OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    SOFT1: Free Microsoft® Office® 2010 STARTER EDITION (Reduced-Functionality versions of Word and Excel that include advertising) [+0]
    SOUN HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    WNC: 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+26]
    Also you will get what you pay for, that is cheapish, with the risk of a shit PSU.

edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention the terrible GPU.
    Last edited by FatFreddy; February 28 2012 at 06:12:00 PM.

GT 520? Have fun with lower performance than an 8800GT (no, seriously). Methinks your framerate woes will not be going away any time soon.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    GT 520? Have fun with lower performance than an 8800GT (no, seriously). Methinks your framerate woes will not be going away any time soon.
    Eh, I'm gonna choose to be optimistic. I'm fairly certain just about anything is better than what I have atm.

Lords in "La, la, la, I paid lots for it so it'll be powerful..." non-shocker

Across how many years and cards did NVidia rebrand that 8800GT? At least the next 2 series had the exact same chip rebadged, didn't they?

No, it's not. High Sierra went from an 8800GT to a GT 520 and had 15-20% performance drops in any game you care to mention.

GT 520 is a massively underpowered card and one of the weakest cards nVidia have ever released, I'd be very surprised if it was capable of anything. Look to be upgrading that and the power supply (always wary when boutiques don't name the vendor of the power supply, they don't generally use trash but even so) within 6months to a year. The rest of the kit is solid enough, but you'd still have done a lot better for your money by doing it yourself *shrug*
    Last edited by Zekk Pacus; February 28 2012 at 06:37:48 PM.

Infact, some more research leads me to two things....

1) buy a fire extinguisher and keep it near your PC.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1212/2 is the power supply in question, a $20 piece of crap passive PFC chinese firecracker. The actual output is around 250w, expect it to blow up much beyond that, and take most of your components with it given that it has no OCP, OVP or short circuit protection beyond a slow fuse.

2)

I spent 15 minutes on Newegg and came up with a machine with the same spec, minus a graphics card, that costs $628 plus whatever shipping they charge. That gives you over $200 dollars to spend on a graphics card which would put you in high end territory, with the added benefit of not being a fire hazard.