hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: An example of how not to do things

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar

An example of how not to do things

So I've finally gotten to the point where I have two steady jobs and a weensy bit of disposable income (not really).

After watching Prom's new video (ZOMG ITS SO SEXEH U SHOULD GO WATCH IT NAO) I came to the conclusion that no matter how good I pvp, it's still not gonna be as enjoyable to watch as I get shit fps, can't get too close, and always play on minimum graphics, mostly with effects turned off.

Additionally, 7/10 of my losses are due to my computer being a bad (random fps drop, random freeze, etc etc) with only 1/10 being actual legit losses(the other 2/10 are due to me just being lazy/bad and dieing due to taht - like Garmon's recent adrestia loss).

My current main computer is a desktop running a Pentium 4, 1gb of RAM (not sure what type, but its from like 2003-4, or earlier) and a 500gb HD. With that said, I think you can understand my frustration. :P

What I'm asking is what sorta PC should I be angling for?

I was originally thinking http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-one-2320/pd due to zomg sexy screen, decent hardware specs, and due to very big screen I can actually enjoy my new graphics instead of playing overview's online like I currently do, due to having >9000 chat channels open most of the time(I have smallish screens atm).

I understand that its ~premade~ and a ~dell~ but as long as it doesn't crash and burn for at least a year or two I'm good.

I have a fair bit of Computer Science/PC tinkering background, so I could build one myself but not sure if worth the :EFFORT: and I kinda want a new screen(which would be expensive).

What I want/what I'm using it for

-Eve
    -Ponies (big sexy screen for HD PINKIE PIE ACROSS THE ENTIRE SCREEN OMG)
    -Frapsing Eve/Editing for pvp videos
    -Listening to Music(I fucking love my music and big screen for visualizers is a big up)
    -TV??(I dont watch TV but I think I can get a couple channels for like $5 more with my internet, and the all-in-one has a big screen for that purpose)
    -Contributing to the fine community that is FHC =D

EDIT - Oh yeah and I'm trying to keep it <1000, the 899 is really as high as I would consider going tbh. Not looking for a high end pimpmobile, just something better than what I have now that can run eve on max graphics for lower end situations without compromising FPS too much. I'm also fairly certain my playing overview/spreadsheets online for the past year or three has cranked my bittervet syndrome thru the roof too - new PC will help with this.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips/ideas?

Also, I'm fairly certain my eyesight is suffering due to constantly playing eve on my old computers with FPS of 15-30 (30 being like tops). o.0
    When I watched prom's vid I actually felt good watching the screen. :S

I am open to your feedback...

-Lords
    Last edited by Sofia Roseburn; March 21 2012 at 11:16:41 PM.

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

First off, I'd avoid pre-built if you're even moderately technically inclined.

Secondly Eve-wise: Get a solid state drive. Get a solid state drive. Get a solid state drive. I cannot recommend this enough. I don't have one myself, but I've played on rigs that do. The difference in grid load times is easily noticeable. I'd recommend getting a mid-sized SSD to load your games and programs off, plus run your OS, and larger platter drives for media storage.

Shoot for at least 4 gigs of RAM, more if you can afford it. RAM is life.

Investing in a separate screen is a good idea, as decent screens don't die unless you abuse them. Sure it's an up-front cost now, but a good 28" screen will last you through two or three computers, and if you get one with HDMI in you can hook up other stuff (consoles, blu-ray players, etc.) to it as well.

Audio-wise, get a dedicated sound card. They're not hideously expensive and they help.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Get a Intel i5-2500k
    We are about 2 months away from the new generation intel cpu's, but the difference for your average user (this would be you) is somewhat minimal, and the 2500 is a solid CPU that will do all you need from it
    You can get a custom CPU cooler if you want (links can be sorted on request), but the stock ones will prob do just fine

Get yourself 8/16gb of RAM, you won't use more then 8 but 4x4gb packs (i got a pack of corsair ones for my file server) are stupidly inexpensive so you may as well

You want a small (120gb) SSD-drive for your operating system, intel makes relible ones but there is a lot of debating going on on this very forum as to what brand is the superior
    You want a bigger drive (1-2tb x1-2) for storage, this is where you install games/store ponies

Get a 6950 (or 7950 if you can afford it) and hook up 3x 24" screens, one for eve, one for irc/failheap and one for ponies

All of that should run fine on a 500w proper supply, get a 600 if you intend to buy fuckpiles of harddrives/fans or something stupid

Iv'e always had a longtime hardon for the antec p183 chassis, they also released a new one that looks quite ace, but this is something that normally comes down to flavor and bad taste more then anything (ask a hooligan friend to spraypaint pinkiepie to it)

Aquire said components and ask a nerdy friend to assemble and install windows 7, jobs done!

As for sound, the integrated one in most of today's z68 motherboards are more then appropriate and really good stuff becomes expensive quickly, as well as needing matching speakers/headphones for it

I could from personal experience recommend the Asus Xonar Essence soundcard together with the Denon AH-D2000 headset, works really well (ALL MY .FLAC'S)
    If your not going down that path, why even bother, use the mobos integrated and a pair of steelseries 5h2
    Last edited by Muffinsrevenger; February 15 2012 at 12:44:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinsrevenger View Post
    Helpful Stuff
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072

$229

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150524

$239

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277

$30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167047

$150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811121031

$25

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817154026

$40

Total - ~$713

Don't I need a motherboard or w/e too? That looks like it'd run me anywhere from 40-150, which would put it at 800-900, depending. Any extra monitors would put me straight over on budget. Atm I have my current 21" or w/e Square (not widescreen) monitor from my desktop I could use along with my keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

I don't see myself getting/having enough money for 3 screens anytime soon. Would I be better downgrading gfx card if I only plan on one screen? Also, I don't have a soundcard - how would that affect me playing music. (Also, wouldn't I have to buy a copy of Win 7 or suffer thru figuring out eve on linux if I built from the ground up like this?)

I understand the hardware might be better, but looking back to the all-in-one I linked, I'd have 6gb of memory, 1tb of HD space (I could get an SSD when I have more money later, install it or just get a portable USB one?) along with all the :EFFORT: of putting it together, and I get a copy of windows etc etc included. AND I could take my existing screen and hook it up and have two screens that way.

Comparing this way it still looks like the All-In-One is my better option (I have an ipad 2, only luxury I have/had to show for working mad hours this summer, so touchscreen adds several extra layers of sexy on top too). Is there something I'm missing?

-Lords
    Last edited by LordsServant; February 15 2012 at 01:08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordsServant View Post
    Don't I need a motherboard or w/e too?
    U-hu, your going to need to get a socket 1155 motherboard to support the shiny new CPU
    I just recently aquired myself a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and it works just fine, but there are so many different competitors doing the same thing that it all comes down to personal preference and what added functions the random manufacturers add, as well as perceived previous history of flaws in drivers (etc etc ad inifnitum)
    Check out the sticky about this stuff to get some recent advice, lots of people have writen lots of things on this here forum about the very subject

I don't see myself getting/having enough money for 3 screens anytime soon.
    RMT your titan!

Would I be better downgrading gfx card if I only plan on one screen?
    You could, there are a lot of choices as far as midrange cards go (for both nivida and ati), i just picked the 6950 (got the 70 myself) out since i have personal experience in using it and know they play eve/bf3 smoothly

Also, I don't have a soundcard - how would that affect me playing music.
    In little to no way unless you do fancy bullshit (see stuff linked in my other post), the integrated soundcard has a tiny mesurble effect on other hardware's performance but you won't ever notice it in real life

Also, wouldn't I have to buy a copy of Win 7 or suffer thru figuring out eve on linux if I built from the ground up like this?
    Three options:
    Ask a student friend - it-students have coazy MSDNA-win7-for-free deals going
    Pirate 7 and crack it - should be a thread somewhere on the forum (or just google it, literary fuckpiles of ways of doing this)
    Just buy it - It's not that expensive and it's a stupidly useful bit of software, worth paying for

As far as pre-built vs self-built
    Pre-built gives you a much higher price, less hazzle and some sort of support if shit breaks (have you ever used this? google works better most of the time)

Self-built gives you self-esteem and a feeling of accomplishment, more better hardware for a lower prize, as well as not having to deal with OEM-bloatware
    Think of it as buying cider from the applejack family (honest hard-working yourselfs) or the strange cidertruck (pre-built-applemashers)

[QUOTE=Muffinsrevenger;372154]
    I don't see myself getting/having enough money for 3 screens anytime soon.
    RMT your titan!

As far as pre-built vs self-built
    Pre-built gives you a much higher price, less hazzle and some sort of support if shit breaks (have you ever used this? google works better most of the time)

Self-built gives you self-esteem and a feeling of accomplishment, more better hardware for a lower prize, as well as not having to deal with OEM-bloatware
    Think of it as buying cider from the applejack family (honest hard-working yourselfs) or the strange cidertruck (pre-built-applemashers)
    I don't have a titan(or any supercaps) anymore, they've been gone for a while(just before I left Raiden). Also, where you think I'm getting the money for the computer? *wink* (Ask VS what the going Rate for a Titan is, now check my budget for computer.....) (Totally not saying I did it, but maybe I did. I still have plenty of isk either way, and am living in WHs atm to get even moar, so...) =D

Ugh I hate u for using that analogy about pre-built vs self-built...now I have to build myself or I'll LET APPLEJACK DOWN! /o\

In general, could u suggest lower/mid-end options. The cheaper the better tbh. Also, would it be better just to try and upgrade my old comp? IE buy moar ram, new cpu/gfx card, etc etc. The whole rig is ~2003-4 hardware tho, so I might not be able to update that much....

-Lords

That graphics card is massive overkill, you could easily get away with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125397 ($110)

I'm currently able to run Eve pretty nicely on mid-high settings with an 8800 GT, a card so old you can't even buy the damn things anymore.

There's not much difference between the 2500k and the 2500, this saves you 30-ish bucks right there: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115073 ($210)

If you don't mind dropping down a few more notches, this one's got a promo sale going on and will still handle everything on your to-do list just fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115076 ($185 - $15 if you get it soon)

Assuming you've already got sufficient platter storage and just need a system drive to go along with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148441 is cheaper (but smaller) than the SSD you're looking at. ($90)

Total cost of $465-505 + mobo cost, which also leaves you enough for a nice big flatscreen and a sound card. If you skip the sound card it's not really a big deal, you won't generally notice it so long as your mobo's onboard isn't utter crap.

-O

Edit: And because I'm a horrible person I should note that money you save on not buying a Dell-created abomination is money you can spend on ponies.
    Last edited by Ophichius; February 15 2012 at 01:42:58 PM.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.

Eh, I don't spend any money on ponies so far. I bought a few ep's for my ipad 2 to watch with my niece(having a niece who likes Ponies makes for the BEST CONVERSATIONS EVER - she flew right past both my nephews in awesomeness right there, she also would make a great excuse/person to bring with me if I go buy ponies) but that's it as far as RL money. I'd like a few figurines or w/e, but don't feel any pressing need to get them(inb4 u link me a $900 Pinkie Pie custom on e-bay and THERE GOES ALL MY COMPUTER FUND =P).

Also, despite the Flim/Flam Analogy I still feel like the dell All-In-One is my best bang/buck(Don't you DARE link me a sad Applebloom pic). None of the other options have touchscreen either, which Steve Jobs has addicted me to.

-Lords

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinsrevenger View Post
    Helpful Stuff
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072

$229

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150524

$239

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277

$30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167047

$150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811121031

$25

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817154026

$40

Total - ~$713

Don't I need a motherboard or w/e too? That looks like it'd run me anywhere from 40-150, which would put it at 800-900, depending. Any extra monitors would put me straight over on budget. Atm I have my current 21" or w/e Square (not widescreen) monitor from my desktop I could use along with my keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

I don't see myself getting/having enough money for 3 screens anytime soon. Would I be better downgrading gfx card if I only plan on one screen? Also, I don't have a soundcard - how would that affect me playing music. (Also, wouldn't I have to buy a copy of Win 7 or suffer thru figuring out eve on linux if I built from the ground up like this?)

I understand the hardware might be better, but looking back to the all-in-one I linked, I'd have 6gb of memory, 1tb of HD space (I could get an SSD when I have more money later, install it or just get a portable USB one?) along with all the :EFFORT: of putting it together, and I get a copy of windows etc etc included. AND I could take my existing screen and hook it up and have two screens that way.

Comparing this way it still looks like the All-In-One is my better option (I have an ipad 2, only luxury I have/had to show for working mad hours this summer, so touchscreen adds several extra layers of sexy on top too). Is there something I'm missing?

-Lords
    That PSU is a pile of crap dont bother buying it, take a look at the ones I suggested in my (out dated but not irrelevant) thread.

Your GFX is massive overkill save yourself some money on that front.

Please for the love of god spend more than $40 on a motherboard. A decent one like the Gigabyte should be around $120.

Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra
    HERE! YOU'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING ELSE! TAKE MY PANTS!

Eh, I don't spend any money on ponies so far. I bought a few ep's for my ipad 2 to watch with my niece(having a niece who likes Ponies makes for the BEST CONVERSATIONS EVER - she flew right past both my nephews in awesomeness right there, she also would make a great excuse/person to bring with me if I go buy ponies) but that's it as far as RL money. I'd like a few figurines or w/e, but don't feel any pressing need to get them(inb4 u link me a $900 Pinkie Pie custom on e-bay and THERE GOES ALL MY COMPUTER FUND =P).

Also, despite the Flim/Flam Analogy I still feel like the dell All-In-One is my best bang/buck(Don't you DARE link me a sad Applebloom pic). None of the other options have touchscreen either, which Steve Jobs has addicted me to.

-Lords
    Just consider that the latest lineup of toys actually appears to be pretty solidly aimed at bronies. Proper high-res Celestia figure, Vinyl Scratch fig (Woohoo!), high-res Nightmare Moon, etc.

More on topic: Figure with a decent mobo + PSU the kit I linked will cost you 600-ish, that leaves 300 for other stuff. If you absolutely must have a touchscreen, this will go about $20 over your $900 cap, but is a 23" touchscreen: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009303

Alternately, if touchscreen isn't worth $100 bucks to you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236102 is on sale today for $35 off, here's another decent one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001388

I'm currently running this and enjoying the hell out of it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=hanns%20g

-O

Edit: If you buy Dell... http://mylittlefacewhen.com/f/1819/

Yeah, I'm a bastard.
    Last edited by Ophichius; February 15 2012 at 03:11:49 PM.

Touch on a PC is a waste of time, you may think that it will be awesome but it will be a gee wow for all of 5 min and then back to using the mouse+keyboard. Touch is only effective on tablets and phones.

Windows as an OS simply does not work well with touch.

Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra
    HERE! YOU'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING ELSE! TAKE MY PANTS!

but looking back to the all-in-one I linked, I'd have 6gb of memory, 1tb of HD space
    You'd have 6gb in a 2gb+4gb configuration which is really suboptimal for a dual channel setup, as well as being SoDIMMs. And you'd have 1TB of HDD space in a 5400rpm drive, which is a needless performance hit. I really dislike all in ones.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Ophicius - WHAI OH GOD WAIIIIIII?????? ;(

Ryas - Meh I guess so. What would you suggest as a general mid-end build? EDIT JUST FOUND YOUR THREAD AND AM READING - DOUBLE EDIT DO YOU HAVE AN UPDATED SUGGESTION THO AS THOSE ARE A YEAR OR SO OLD

Also, just to clarify, I've never built a computer from the ground up before. I've installed RAM, video cards, and other misc stuff(sorta kinda not really maybe?) and have a very solid grasp on most computer stuff, but I've always been more of a programming/software guy.

Is building my own computer a reasonable option, or am I gonna totally fuck it up if I try? I'm good with directions, can follow common sense, know that it's totally a good idea to wear a fuzzy sweater and install stuff in a carpeted area(no, not really, I know static jolts) etc etc.

Are all these components going to come with proper cables/directions on where to plug in or w/e?

Should googling stuff (I will still have access to two perfectly internet capable computers, despite them being p. awful at running eve nowadays) solve most of my problems?

I will prob not be getting a Dell due to my one weakness being turned against me.(Altho their financing options add in a whole nother level of options for paying for it) I'm just not sure how much bang/buck I'll be getting building my own and how easy/doable it is.

-Lords
    Last edited by LordsServant; February 15 2012 at 03:29:41 PM.

I've built all my own systems, it's pretty simple. If you can do basic maintenance you can build one. It's pretty much just Tab A, Slot B, tuning fork and live alligator C.

These days it's very, very hard to screw up. In the days of yore you had to mess around with jumpers and such on everything which was a pain. Now with SATA drives it's plug-and-go. Obey basic static safety precautions and you're good. Everything should come with proper cables, directions optional but should be easy to figure out. I'd say definitely read your included mobo and GPU manuals, as those will be the critical ones.

Google + common sense is more than adequate to solve 99% of all your problems.

-O

Just outta curiosity - would buying a couple of cheapy gfx cards and SLIing them or something work rather than spending money on an expensive one? I'm really looking for cheap as possible while still running eve at half decent FPS with mid-upper end graphics. If I can put it on high gfx just to drool every now and then/for non-fps intensive activities that'd be good too. Also, bear in mind I'm just talking ONE client at good/max graphics. I will most likely be running the other accounts on my shit laptop/desktop. If I am multiboxing on the new comp, I will have gfx turned down(and tbqh I'm not sure I can handle more than 4 accounts actively pvping or doing something besides mining(but I got rid of those accounts years ago), but then again not having to deal with the epic lag I have to deal with now could be a deciding factor....)

The biggest thing I'm concerned with is installing the motherboard. From there it's p. much plug and go right? Do I have to physically screw the board into the chassis or w/e? Is it tough to fit, etc etc?

Winged Nazgul - I'm approaching it from the opposite end. I haz no moneys(or very little) and am only upgrading due to perceived health problems (my eyes) and that I am extremely tired of borderline painful play experiences with my existing computers.

Also, a big TY to everyone who's taken the time to give me tips advice, it is VERY appreciated.

-Lords
    Last edited by LordsServant; February 15 2012 at 03:44:32 PM.

Typically SLI won't get better results if you're trying to tie two bargain basement GPUs together, At best it's going to cost about the same for similar performance but twice as many potential monitors connected.

Motherboard isn't too bad, it will have standoffs that you screw/snap into the chassis, then attach the mobo to them.

For single client you should be able to run pretty close to max settings at say, 1600x1200 (or 1920x1200 widescreen). Can't vouch for higher than that.

-O

If you just want to run a single client, you could likely get by with something like an 8800GT. Check craigs, I bet you can find a used one cheap for <$50. Just don't get shot/stabbed trying to buy it. You are taking a risk with used hardware like that but at least you aren't risking much.

Freshly unbanned, and still don't have new comp quite yet. I'm leaning towards picking up something from cyberpowerpc.com atm, as they seem to have decent prices for a lot of stuff, and I can get a solid system while staying in my budget.

I'm leaning against building my own as I really don't have that much free time, and don't want to put forth the :EFFORT: for the very little/nothing that I'd save over some other options (not the dell or lolalienware options obv).

-Lords

You really should get the parts and build it yourself, you can always post on here and we'll help you. Once you do it once, you'll be good and it's well worth it for the knowledge gained alone, not to mention the options for customizing and future upgrades. if you can build a PC there are few times where you'll need to pay someone to help you with one ever again.

fakedit: pretty drunk, I hope this makes sense.

realedit: I bought a PC from cyberpower and learned to do all my own stuff by modifying it and replacing broken parts since 07, if you don't feel ready to do it yourself I can recommend them.