hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Metal Thread

dialogue with the stars and pallar anders visa (or whatever the fuck it's called) are two of my favourite in flames songs, and they both happen to be instrumental

I like the symphonic/power metal stuff, anything that sounds big and grandiose, catchy but cool. Fun fact: I was originally introduced to many of these bands through Eve videos, though I'm featuring other songs of theirs that I like, as opposed to those songs I first heard:

Spoiler:

Nightwish:

Nobody does symphonic like Nightwish of course, I owe the Mercenary Coalition a lot for putting me onto these guys. Tarja-era best era, naturally.

Kamelot:

This is one of their better known tracks, a 2005 duet with Simone Simons from Epica. Sucks that Roy left the band, everything of Kamelot's from the last decade or so is great.

Within Temptation:

From last year's album The Unforgiving. Some of their most accessible stuff yet, I feel like I should hate it for this reason but I just can't.

Manowar:

This is two tracks combined from the 2007 album Gods Of War, probably Manowar's most symphonic release. Builds up slowly, but give it a couple of minutes and the blood starts a-pumping.

Rhapsody Of Fire:

The Dark Secret Saga spans 4 albums and an EP from 2004 to 2011, much of which is straightforward speed metal, but when they go into storytelling mode, they can't be beaten. This is the final track from the final album in the story, featuring narration by Christopher Lee. For the epic climax, fast forward to the final four minutes.

This next lot are just some individual tracks I like from various metal bands I otherwise can't quite get into like the ones above.

Spoiler:

Symphony X:

These guys are known for their signature changes throughout their music; the effect is more subtle in this track but still nice.

Apocalyptica:

These are those cello guys, though this one sounds like it has at least as many guitars in it as well.

Sirenia:

Found this tune in someone else's home-made "songs I like" Youtube medley, and decided I agreed.

Lordi:

Best. Eurovision Song Contest Winners. Ever. Not that that's saying much I suppose, but it's still true.

Stratovarius:

The final track from their self-titled album from a few years ago. Not a single, but my favourite track of theirs.
    Last edited by Ben Derindar; February 16 2012 at 06:57:15 AM.

Nightwish: Annette has actually grown on me a fair bit. They're different acts, certainly, but I'm not sure the new one is worse. Though looking them up, I see that they've got another new album out, so I'll have to give that a listen.

Within Temptation: I dunno, their last album really doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, it's just not the same. I picked up the Black Symphony CD/DVD a few months before it came out, and wallowed in the glory of an awesome band backed a full symphony...and then they release their next album, which goes exactly the opposite way.

Rhapsody: Honestly, the narration is the part I like the least of theirs. If I wanted to watch LotR, I'd watch LotR - I prefer my music to be musical.

Symphony X: Hadn't heard them before. I like.
    "Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Quote Originally Posted by Wall View Post
    Herschel Yamamoto is owning in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    tbfh you could probably post an Ulver song in every thread in this subforum
    Too right.
    MAX damage posting

So I listened to the new Nightwish album on Youtube. Not impressed at all. The one single is good, and none of it's really bad, but it feels like they made an entire album of the most forgettable songs off all their other albums.

Spoiler:
    "Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Quote Originally Posted by Herschel Yamamoto View Post
    So I listened to the new Nightwish album on Youtube. Not impressed at all. The one single is good, and none of it's really bad, but it feels like they made an entire album of the most forgettable songs off all their other albums.
    Pretty much agree. I like the lullaby style first track that builds into Storytime immediately after, but for me it goes downhill from there. There's so much diversity that it comes across as disjointed as a greatest hits album, but without the comforting familiarity of the hits themselves to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Herschel Yamamoto View Post
    Within Temptation: I dunno, their last album really doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, it's just not the same. I picked up the Black Symphony CD/DVD a few months before it came out, and wallowed in the glory of an awesome band backed a full symphony...and then they release their next album, which goes exactly the opposite way.
    Also agree, Black Symphony was awesome. The Unforgiving is still a good album in its own right imho, a somewhat unexpected change of style for them perhaps, but I still like it.

They've always been a bit disjoint - they have three completely different main singers plus instrumentals, sing in two languages, and they're a metal band who does Andrew Lloyd Webber and Pink Floyd covers. Thing is, I don't mind Whoever Brings the Night and The Islander being on the same album, even if they do sound as different as any two songs taken from the same(non-Therion) album I can think of, because I like them both.

That said, I'll give it another listen in a couple days, maybe it'll grow on me.

I feel like parts of the album just don't sound like nightwish, even post tarja nightwish.

Saying that, taken as a whole, I like it

I just doubt I will listen to any of the invididual songs in like 2 months~

Needs more death metal in all it's flavours and variations.
    Septic Flesh are completely fucking awesome. Listen to Communion if you haven't.
    Obscura are in my opinion, one of the best, if not the best death metal outfits in the past ten years.

No introduction needed.

Death have already been posted but they're the first and the best.

This thread needs a lot more Hatebreed and Lamb of God.

Spoiler:

Hatebreed - Defeatist

Hatebreed - Proven

This thread also needs more Blind Guardian (first metal band I've listened to)
      Spoiler:

The Hobbit

By The Gates of Moria

Contributing some whiney vegan pussies to the thread:

Spoiler:

Also, some randoms:

Job for a Cowboy
      Spoiler:

Saw them live. First thing bassist said into the mic was "lets get ready to rock this joint." It didn't get any better.

Suicide Silence
      Spoiler:

Saw them live. Singer had a raised platform he is so short. Only guy in a SS shirt I saw was a fat neckbeard with thick eyeliner & bad hygiene. Sums it up nicely.

Strapping Young Lad
      Spoiler:

Hate
      Spoiler:

Static X
      Spoiler:

Not nearly enough trash in here tbh
    Testament
      Spoiler:

Slayer
      Spoiler:

Sepultura
      Spoiler:

Metallica (well, the first 4 albums - the rest are just a figment of realities imagination)
      Spoiler:

And some more awesome stuff thrown in for good measure that i didnt see in this thread (might have missed some of the vids)

Spiral Architect (arguably they released the single best metal album ever produced anywhere)
      Spoiler:

Rage against the machine
      Spoiler:

Sikth
      Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by brent209 View Post
    what the fuck you want
    i'm the nigga runnin this
    get off my back hoe

by brent209

some stuff I am currently listening to
      Spoiler:

Hatesphere -Hate

Biohazard - Get Away (no yt)

Burzum - A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit

Gorgoroth - (Under) The Pagan Megalith

Quote Originally Posted by brent209 View Post
    what the fuck you want
    i'm the nigga runnin this
    get off my back hoe

by brent209

Some of my current fav`s..

Amon Amarth - Free will sacrifice

Danko Jones - Bad thougths

Wintersun - Beyond the dark sun
    Last edited by Beh3motH; May 17 2012 at 12:17:55 AM.
    -.-

Iron Maiden on tamburica guitars, Croatian folk instrument

Spoiler:
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Since it was missing.

"Discovered" them just like half a year ago, so sad. It's impressive, no matter what live video you watch, they just seem to refuse to suck live, unlike a large amount of other bands.

Only recently discovered The Cumshots. I love stuff that gets the lazy "death'n'roll" label..
      Spoiler:

Last edited by Qall; June 20 2012 at 09:05:39 PM.

Funfact: The vocalist in The Cumshots (Christopher Schau) is also known for having sterilized himself, making waffles from his own puke and eating it (or was it someone else? i cant remember), performing blashemic acts on TV etc etc..

In other news, the new Gojira album is insanely good, to the point of me actually going out and buying it as a physical copy and not just digital DL.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.