hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Metal Thread

The Metal Thread

Bands I like:

Spoiler:

Led Zepplin (arguably the first metal band)

Tyr (Viking Metal)

Queens of the Stone Age (The reason I joined the corp. And Weirda)

System of a Down

Symphonic metal/similar:
    Aesma Daeva (Melissa Ferlaak is my second favorite singer, they have her for a few albums)

After Forever

AINA

Amaran

Apocalyptica (Metal Cello)

Artosis
    Avirgus
    Dreams of Sanity
    Elis

Epica (Favorite band)

Fairyland
    Haggard
    Lacuna Coil

Leave's Eyes

Lunatica
    Magica
    Nemesea

Nightwish (Tarja era)
    Peccatum
    Rain Fell Within
    Rhapsody of Fire (can be overdramatic, even for power metal)
    Sirenia (Fabienne Gondamin was their best lead)

Sylver Myst
    Theatre of Tragedy
    Therion (great band, very varied style)

Trail of Tears
    Trans Siberian Orchestra
    Tristania
    Visions of Atlantis (Second favorite band)

Within Temptation

Misc:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/331Erock "Meets Metal" series.

(will keep editing in videos as I have time)
    Last edited by SAI Peregrinus; January 30 2012 at 09:37:14 PM. Reason: Spoilered the big list.

Some of my fav.

Gojira - Heavies Matter In The Universe

Spoiler:

Immortal - Antarctica

Spoiler:

Death - To Forgive Is To Suffer

Spoiler:

Satyricon - K.I.N.G

Spoiler:

Dimmu Borgir - Puritania

Spoiler:

Ulver - Capitel I: I Troldskog Faren Vild

Spoiler:

Arcturus - Radical Cut

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Tordin Varglund; March 9 2012 at 04:24:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

Some good stuff in this thread... Arcturus especially, they are one of my favorite bands.

Ensiferum. Finnish Folk metal.
      Spoiler:

Shining. Norwegian Jazz Metal... I'm guessing you'll either love or hate this one.
      Spoiler:

Borknagar. Some more Norwegian stuff. Love Simen Hestnśs' vocals on this one (and in general).
      Spoiler:

Mastodon. Their latest album is awesome imo
      Spoiler:
    Last edited by Silas; January 30 2012 at 10:19:57 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags

In wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself

i mow lawns for a living Rai Deo's Avatar
    Led Zeppelin is Hard Rock, not Metal.

Also, no metal thread is complete without Iron Maiden

Amon Amarth - Arrival of the Fimbul Winter (demo ver)

Opeth - Master's Apprentices
    Quote Originally Posted by brent209 View Post
    what the fuck you want
    i'm the nigga runnin this
    get off my back hoe

by brent209

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Metal is for angsty teens with anger issues

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Metal is for angsty teens with anger issues

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
    Majority of it? Very much so. But you can find so many gems there that make up for all the shitty bands. Stays true for every genre to be honest.

Re: first heavy metalband (Led Zeppelin)

No.

Sir Lord Baltimore

But I'm in danger of slowly turning the metal thread into "classic rock it's all come from blues anyway" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Deo View Post
    Also, no metal thread is complete without Iron Maiden
    Coolest maiden cover I have ever heard! Some of their other songs pretty cool too.

Also content:

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    Re: first heavy metalband (Led Zeppelin)

No.

Sir Lord Baltimore

But I'm in danger of slowly turning the metal thread into "classic rock it's all come from blues anyway" thread
    I can't see anything wrong with that direction. I'll even help you.

Last edited by rufuske; January 29 2012 at 12:18:14 PM.

I don't know if I consider Ulver a "metal" band. These guys had one of the most interesting musicall genre progressions I ever heard a band have, from acoustic black metal to trip hop and back is how I'd describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    I don't know if I consider Ulver a "metal" band. These guys had one of the most interesting musicall genre progressions I ever heard a band have, from acoustic black metal to trip hop and back is how I'd describe it.
    I know, it's one of those bands, where it's absolutely impossible to put them in a drawer with genre name on it, so I figured I may as well post them here.

tbfh you could probably post an Ulver song in every thread in this subforum

furthermore: "stoner" rock/metal content

I won't post classics like Iron Maiden, AC/DC or Judas Priest here assuming everyone knows them already. Opeth et al. are popular enough too, here are some lesser-known cool bands.

Angizia
      Spoiler:

Ayreon
      Spoiler:

Diablo Swing Orchestra
      Spoiler:

Kalisia
      Spoiler:

Not metal but cool and somewhat related.

Snakeskin
      Spoiler:
    Last edited by Shinah Myst; February 1 2012 at 08:13:32 AM.

Movember 2012Donor
    More stoner-type metal:

Black Pyramid - Visions of gehenna
      Spoiler:

Sleep - Dragonaut
      Spoiler:

Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis
      Spoiler:

Uncle Acid and the deadbeats- Death's Door
      Spoiler:

Witch - Seer
      Spoiler:

also confirming that ulver is awesome
    Last edited by dynamical; January 31 2012 at 10:33:02 PM. Reason: derp, spoilers

Clearly, this was the first metal song:

For actual content, I'm not a fan of the really growly vocals, so a lot of otherwise good bands manage to really annoy me(though some are just hilarious, like Arch Enemy or a certain infamous Britney Spears cover).

Some stuff I do like that hasn't been mentioned yet:

(Spoiler tagged in hopes of keeping page load times down)
      Spoiler:
    Amorphis

Sonata Arctica (I've seen these guys live twice, so they get two videos)

In Flames (Not a huge fan, for reasons of aforementioned growliness, but they've got a couple cool songs)

Sabaton (The least subtle band in existence lyrically)

Dragonforce (The least subtle band in existence musically)

Alestorm (True Scottish Pirate Metal)

Blind Guardian (Naming your albums after Queen is metal, right?)

Dream Theater (As much prog as metal, but they certainly have their moments)

Kamelot (Sadly, their vocalist recently quit because he found Jesus. Which is odd, because they weren't even close to satanic)

Evergrey (I actually only know this one song, but it's a good one)

Powerglove (Instrumental covers of video game music and TV themes. Odd, but it works)
    "Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Quote Originally Posted by Wall View Post
    Herschel Yamamoto is owning in this thread.

witch's first album was awesome, i thought the second one was a bit rubbish though.

everyone should check out 'without judgement' by death, i would provide a video but youtube's blocked at work.

I grew up listening to in flames, and the shifting soundtrack and different sounds of their albums have sort of always been with me
    I first started listening to in flames back around 2000 (what the fuck how is that 12 years ago?), at this point while we had the internets and kazaa we did not have anything similar to youtube to find new bands and songs, instead it was down to burning cdís (or minidiscs), as well as listening to new albums that someone had acquired on winamp
    Now, to someone who came from Pink Floyd, taking the step to Clayman was defiantly interesting, but the whole melodic guitar perfection of Satellites and Astronauts has a lot of things in common with what I was used to, and the intensity of Brush the Dust Away was simply to great not to embrace

This was the time just before Reroute to remain, what some would call In Flames greatest days
    Colony had Ordinary Story with its ďUs few versus the worldĒ mood, it also Insipid 2000, a song defiant song just grabs you by the neck and keeps you moving

Then there is Whoracle
    It Starts off nicely with Jotun, and itís at first a messy and chaotic blend of guitars and drums, but once you focus on it's diffrent parts it reveals layers of interwoven riffs and accords flowing in and out of eachother

Then there is this little masterpiece:

The guitars accompanies Anders slow dragging voice, leading up to the chorus where it all bursts out into a vivid painting of a dystopian species

It also comes with two excellent melodic pieces, Dialouge with the Stars provide an intensive three minute guitar masturbation that have been used in so many counterstrike-videos that everypony who grew up during the last few years could not possible have avoided stumbling over it
    The other one is Whoracle itself, showing off In Flames ability to do perfected serene soundscapes

To be fair, if you havenít already (and most of you reading this thread probably have) listen through it, go find yourself Colony, Whoracle and Clayman and just listen through them, preferably on a long drive somewhere giving you the time to think it through properly

At around 2002 Reroute to Remain showed up
    It was at the time universally accepted as the ultimate proof of in flames selling out entirely and becoming another linkin park, yet in retrospect Iím not sure that is entirely fair
    Yes, the sound lost a lot of its purity and brutality compared to what we were used to (and wanted them to give us), but it did contain things like Dawn of a New Day that I honestly think is one of the more underrated songs they ever made

Iím also intensely fond of Black and White, and while itís short on growls it still has a controlled intensity that is hard to find in music in general
    Both these songs were dragged down by a few lesser ones (Metaphor, Iím looking at you!), but are none the less worth a proper listen

While it was released as a single, one can't say in flames without mentioning Trigger

This songs video is the reason I eventually started looking closer at Soilwork, who I had disregarded as ripoffs (oh dear I was wrong about something again) due to the fact that they shared it with soilworks Rejection Role
    Saw trigger live a few months ago, and there is nothing to describe it, you just have to be there enjoying it to grasp itís greatness live (itís one of those who really benefit from being played live)

With the idea of In Flames dying in my mind, just like many others, started looking for other things to fill our time with, like previously mentioned Soilwork or Dark Tranqulity (cathoood-raaay, sunshieeeene), but what I was not expecting was to find yet another treasure-trove of greatness buried in history

Thatís right bitches, Iím talking about The Jester Race
    Released before I was into metal, itís what came after the few fumbling steps of becoming in flames, following up on a nice but still not quite mature Lunar Strain
    Let me just leave you with this little vid from the Used and Abused live DVD, witch admittedly was released way later and have some influences from their ďnew soundĒ

The Jester Race as an album that has influenced my thinking and way of thinking of music the most, with its mixture of growling and guitars creating something that is so much more than the sum of its parts, a sound that triggers things in the back of your mind with itís almost mystical bits
    Case in point, Artifacts of the Black Rain
    Had it not been for the jester race I doubt that I would have given Scar Symmetry a proper chance, I honestly think that giving the jester race a proper chance is what has defined my taste in music the most through the years

Now, at running a risk of turning this into a wall of text, Iím not going to go into depth of what followed after Reroute to Remain, but in retrospect all the albums have had some really bright points, and while their sound has changed a lot as they have grown themselves I still think that the essence of In Flames remain, the complete lack of any doubt in their songs, be it old or new, is what sets them apart from most bands

There is, and always has been a core of musical confidence, itís like they know exactly what they are doing without even trying

Even StrŲmblads departure, The Jesters Door, is properly delivered

Iím writing this from my fancy computer, in my own apartment while listening to .flacís of Sounds of a Playground Fading from my really expensive headset connected to a really expensive soundcard, all of which ive deserved by worked up the money myself, using the things Iíve learned so far in life to contribute something to someone, and even though what plays on my headset is nothing like The Jester Race or Whorecale that I grew up with, I still canít help it

I love the sound of it