hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 229 of 231 FirstFirst ... 129179219226227228229230231 LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,580 of 4613

Thread: What Video Card can i exchange my kidneys for? [2021]

My good old watercooled Vega 64 has been creeping up in temps for a while now. At first I blamed the summer temps, then the pump which rattled like the track on a T-34 when at 100%. Repasted it with no difference so I bit the bullet and disassembled the pumphouse and oh lord was the coldplate gunked up.

My own fault for letting it go that far. I filled it up when I bought it two years ago but only with destilled water and nothing else and kinda forgot about it. Took some work with a tooth brush to remove the worst of it and then a bath in diluted vinegar essence for 10 minutes to get everything between the fins. If I were to hazard a guess with how much was blocked off by gunk I'd say the water was only cooling on half the fin surface and not moving over the rest. Ouch!

Now it's all nice and shiny, the hot spot temps dropped by 30C and regular temp by 15 c under load and the pump is all silent again. Very spiffy and I won't feel like I'm cheating someone once I flip it for a new card.

Oh yeah, for some reason there's a lot less coilwhine now which has been my biggest issue with this card. Must have gotten a better fit with a heatpad while assembling it or something. Really weird but very welcome as it messes with my tinnitus something fierce.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; June 6 2021 at 08:46:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

Income has fallen off pretty spectacularly after the correction and the ensuing sell off and is now back to ~3,3 usd/day. Still worthwhile I guess.
    Is that including electricity cost ?

Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post

Income has fallen off pretty spectacularly after the correction and the ensuing sell off and is now back to ~3,3 usd/day. Still worthwhile I guess.
    I'm currently at 4,9usd/d pre electricity.
    Which for me here in swedenland maybe 0.8-0.9 usd/d.

Am pondering on putting my CPU to hash on Monero, as it is CPU mining only.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post

The system is using 275W at the wall so for a full day it's less than a dollar. Not actually sure about the exact cost /Kwh as I'm on a group contract with 320 other apartments and I haven't bothered looking it up lately. Collective bargaining FTW!

The GPU is fairly well tuned in terms of power/hashrate but the rest of the system could probably shave off some fat. But I'm not going to do that as I'm actually using it everyday and CBA to mess with it too much.

Anyway, we just had a pretty big drop of GPU's this week. This time it even had Nvidia cards showing up as well as AMD 6800's. Haven't seen the latter since christmas. The 6700 XT's were restocked as well and now at lower prices than last time which was 2 weeks ago. That particular stock sold out last friday so they didn't move all that fast thanks to their high pricing.

The second hand market is seeing no buyers for 6700XT's above retailer prices anymore so that's good but the Nvidia side is still crazy. Oh yeah, mining rigs started hitting the market last week in greater numbers as well.

6700Xts on UK Amazon for 720. Still double the proper price for this card, but in stock and ready to buy. Down from the 800-900 they were a couple of weeks ago.

Also scalpers should get lymphatic cancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

FSR is here to save the day whether you've an AMD or nvidia GPU, current gen or previous.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Yeah it's looking pretty interesting; apparently it's pretty easy to add FSR support for at least some games, on the order of 1 dev-day to get it done. Seems like it's better than DLSS 1 but not quite as good as DLSS 2, but also easier to implement and with much wider hardware support (because it's basically a shader).

Also top marks to AMD for releasing it as an open source kit. r/linuxgaming reports that it's already working on the latest Glorious Eggroll version of Proton.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Sold my Vega 64. Didn't go for an insane amount but well over what I paid for it 2 years ago.

Got a loaner GTX 960 in the meantime :/ Better than nothing I guess and on the upside any new GPU will feel like a stonking massive upgrade.

Nice job on cashing out. I reckon you'll have to put up with that 960 for about 3-4 months, depending on what card you aim to get. 6700XTs at a mere 2x SRP are widely available now, and the prices on Amazon seem to be going down by 2-5-10 daily. 6800XTs and 3080s are still near-mythical.

6700xt's can be bought on the second hand market for 650-700 right now. And it's good quality models as well, Nitros and Mercs mostly, that would be on my shortlist to start with. At launch the cheapest ones were 550 so they've got a way to go yet. 6800's have been going for 950-1100 so yeah, still ludicrious.

TL:dr Second hand prices are dropping rapidly even for Nvidia GPU's and retailers looks like they're lagging 4-8 weeks in price.

I'm looking for a 6800 of pretty much any model as I'll be getting a waterblock for it anyway. Guess I got hooked on watercooling thanks to the Vega card.

TL:dr Second hand prices are dropping rapidly even for Nvidia GPU's and retailers looks like they're lagging 4-8 weeks in price.
    This makes me all kinds of happy
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Bought my Asus GTX 980 Ti a few years back for $200, which seemed a bit high. Now I see listings for $330 for the same card.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

6700xt's can be bought on the second hand market for 650-700€ right now. And it's good quality models as well, Nitros and Mercs mostly, that would be on my shortlist to start with. At launch the cheapest ones were 550€ so they've got a way to go yet. 6800's have been going for 950-1100€ so yeah, still ludicrious.

I'm looking for a 6800 of pretty much any model as I'll be getting a waterblock for it anyway. Guess I got hooked on watercooling thanks to the Vega card.
    Fuck giving money to scalpers though.

So China is cracking down on mining again.
    Can we expect cheap cards anytime soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn
    Nope.

user was banned for this lock

GPU prices have fallen pretty sharply these last few weeks, but there's still a long way to go.

I saw the first 6700xt's selling for 700€ last week at a retailer. Reference models but still. On the second hand market they're going for less than 650€ now. 6800's have started showing up as well both in retail and second hand markets. Silly retail prices still but at least the auctions are going for under 1000€ now.

I'm annoyed with myself that I've started thinking "Hmm, this seems like a good deal" when a 6700XT goes for 600€. It's not a good deal ffs. This year has been so damaging in so many ways.

Anyway, prices have fallen sharply and I think they'll continue to fall but I don't think we'll see a crash in prices this year like we did in 2019. TBH, now is probably the worst time to buy a new card. Stocks are on the rise and the scalpers are offloading what they have before the mining cards hit the market.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; July 12 2021 at 02:41:04 PM.

Yep. I found myself very close to pulling the trigger on an RTX 3060/700W PSU deal at 550, until I realised that it still valued the card at over 400 and the PSU isn't actually that good. The market has been so warped.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Yeah don't feed into this shit unless you absolutely have to get a card now.

I see so many cards in stock here in Scandinavia.
    You can get any model you want, maybe not from your preferred manufacturer, but at least you can get them.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I see so many cards in stock here in Scandinavia.
    You can get any model you want, maybe not from your preferred manufacturer, but at least you can get them.
    They're not flying off the shelves though are they? I get the feeling the current stock at retailers have been acquired at stupid high prices from distributors and they don't want to sell them at a loss. Give it a few weeks for the current constipation to ease before you buy.