hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 237 of 240 FirstFirst ... 137187227234235236237238239240 LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,740 of 4793

Thread: What Video Card can i exchange my kidneys for? [2021]

We;re in The Dumbest Timeline so who fuckn knows, really?

To me it feels like there's still a long way down for prices to go because there are a fucking shit-ton of mining GPUs out there, but the price drops seem to have stalled a bit recently. Cryptobros love bullshit and they may have some reason to believe that they can profitably mine some new scamcoin with hardware they already have.

If the 4080 appears in quantity for $900ish, then at minimum retailers will look to clear out 3080s quickly. But I think rufuske is being a smidgen optimistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

For owners of 3000/6000 series cards, at least from 3070 and upwards in terms of performance, I'm struggling to see the need for upgrading. Most people game at 1080p or 1440p, and if you are already in the ray tracing game, the cards you have should already be plenty to push most AAA-games to reasonable FPS on those resolutions. 3090 or 4090 is more 4K/Ultra-wide territory, and even then, a 3090 gets you a long way. I bought a 3090 to support my G9 in December 2020, and was "lucky" enough to only pay around $2k, but I think I'll skip the next generation upgrades - the power consumption levels are also looking to be quite ludicrous, at least for the higher tier cards.

I'm in a similar boat. No reason at all to go from a 3x to a 4x, probably none to go to a 5x and marginal 6x.
    By which point the planet will be on fire anyway so it'll be irrelevant.
    technology canít solve economic and political problems

You guys are lucky, I'm still stuck with a 1080 non Ti
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Just recently upgraded to a 1070, but I expect to be able to scrape by on 1080p60 for a few more years yet.

Tempted to try and get a 30-series (3060 Ti or 3070) to upgrade my GTX 970. But also tempted to wait for 40-series.

Don't do much that needs a better graphics card currently, so I'm leaning towards waiting. Which means 40-series will be the same shitshow for prices and availability that will make me wish I just got current gen instead of waiting.

First, advice from someone who really knows his shit:

second: I'd wait for a bit. Crypto-miners are definitely starting to sell of their cards. Bitcoin is going to go down. It's currently being kept at around 20k/usd by desperate meaures of all the players that need it to live a bit longer to get their money out of crypto. But this is definitely the end.
    Don't buy mining cards yet. wait one or two months more and see how prices are then.
    I'm pretty sure used cards will be very cheap soon. (there are a LOT more mining cards than people with gaming PCs, and they only need one card each)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    First, advice from someone who really knows his shit:

second: I'd wait for a bit. Crypto-miners are definitely starting to sell of their cards. Bitcoin is going to go down. It's currently being kept at around 20k/usd by desperate meaures of all the players that need it to live a bit longer to get their money out of crypto. But this is definitely the end.
    Don't buy mining cards yet. wait one or two months more and see how prices are then.
    I'm pretty sure used cards will be very cheap soon. (there are a LOT more mining cards than people with gaming PCs, and they only need one card each)
    That can't be right. We've repeatedly been told that miners had nothing to do with GPU prices skyrocketing. /s

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    for a lower price

extreme_laughter_until_asphyxiation.webm

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Save your stranglewanking for the pony forums
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Bitcoin is going to go down. It's currently being kept at around 20k/usd by desperate meaures of all the players that need it to live a bit longer to get their money out of crypto. But this is definitely the end.
    This is almost certainly not true. For one, Bitcoin isn't mined on GPU's so any effect on GPU prices is only through blockchains like Ethereum which is currently (but not for long) still mined on GPU's. Also, it's retail investors (plebs) who are selling Bitcoin, the big players are buying and buying and buying and buying. I wouldn't hold my breath for crypto prices to get significantly lower than they've been lately.

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    for a lower price
    extreme_laughter_until_asphyxiation.webm
    For a lower price per performance, that's the important bit. Otherwise I quite agree.

Also given how insane the power usage of the 40xx series is likely to be there's an argument to be made the 40xx series won't be better from a performance/watt standpoint than the 30xx series was, which means the 30xx series isn't such a bad buy in the long run. My current 850W PSU might not even be enough for a 4080....

Said it before:. I have a good 750w PSU, and I'm not buying another. Whatever won't run on that is simply out of consideration.

Also, it's retail investors (plebs) who are selling Bitcoin, the big players are buying and buying and buying and buying.
    The way i've seen it, big players are scared shitless that if they start selling their hordes of magic money, it'll tigger mass selling and totally tank the market, so they are all in a holding pattern trying to figure out how to get their money out of the market before somone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Also, it's retail investors (plebs) who are selling Bitcoin, the big players are buying and buying and buying and buying.
    The way i've seen it, big players are scared shitless that if they start selling their hordes of magic money, it'll tigger mass selling and totally tank the market, so they are all in a holding pattern trying to figure out how to get their money out of the market before somone else does.
    100% exactly what is happening. All the exchanges that are left are even currently running promos to get people to give them real money.

100% exactly what is happening. All the exchanges that are left are even currently running promos to get people to give them real money.
    Oh the liquid supply on exchanges is definitely going down, and there are some suspicions about how honest and 100% covered some exchanges are operating, so if that's true their future existence depends on not rocking the boat too much. But my news feed is filled almost daily by large companies (and even small countries) announcing how many thousand bitcoins they've managed to accrue at a discount this week, so that's still going strong.

Oh the liquid supply on exchanges is definitely going down, and there are some suspicions about how honest and 100% covered some exchanges are operating, so if that's true their future existence depends on not rocking the boat too much. But my news feed is filled almost daily by large companies (and even small countries) announcing how many thousand bitcoins they've managed to accrue at a discount this week, so that's still going strong.
    They need to keep the Ponzi scheme alive one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Up your game, that meme has been dead for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Up your game, that meme has been dead for years now.
    Ehm? No?
    First, it's not a meme, however much you would want to believe otherwise.
    Second, more people are realizing crypto for what it is, and more coutries are starting to regulate it. Once that has happened, cryptocurrency is dead.

But my news feed is filled almost daily by large companies (and even small countries) announcing how many thousand bitcoins they've managed to accrue at a discount this week, so that's still going strong.
    Serious question: If the exchanges are going under, then what use are they ? Can a country just decide that One Bitcoin is arbitrarily worth 1 bar of gold, then arbitrarily demand that someone gives them the bar of gold in return for the Bitcoin?

But my news feed is filled almost daily by large companies (and even small countries) announcing how many thousand bitcoins they've managed to accrue at a discount this week, so that's still going strong.
    Serious question: If the exchanges are going under, then what use are they ? Can a country just decide that One Bitcoin is arbitrarily worth 1 bar of gold, then arbitrarily demand that someone gives them the bar of gold in return for the Bitcoin?
    Well that is the problem, Bitcoins don't have a value besides what some wants to pay. It may as well have been cherry stones these exchanges were trading.