hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 235 of 237 FirstFirst ... 135185225232233234235236237 LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,700 of 4721

Thread: What Video Card can i exchange my kidneys for? [2021]

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    I did a tiny bit of dabbling in mining with my 3090, the card definitely ran at very low core clocks and could undervolt very well, but keeping the RAM at a sensible temperature was hard, mostly because of the RAM on the back of the card. Most backplates were very bad at doing any cooling on those RAM chips. It may be worth seeing if he ran fans blowing on the backs of the cards or extra heat sinks on the back.
    He did, in a sort of ghetto server room style, fans blowing all past the cards. Looks a decent set up. I'm not buying one because i don't need it, I dont even use my 3080 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    I am keeping an eye on the sale, its either a scam or the guy is not having much luck. Its a classified on facebook so no buyer protection, but the guy does offer pickup and to see the card working. SO whon knows? I'm not gonna buy it tho

"All cards have been underclocked and undervolted, kept at a cool and controlled temperature so they'll be great for gaming or mining for years to come and you're more than welcome to test them at my place before you buy!"

Thats the line that caught my attention.
    Probably trying to bypass ebay fees and what not, they're ripping you off doubly - you pay paypal fees and ebay fees as well and at 750 that's not exactly pocket change. Unfortunately I wouldn't touch the sale with a barge pole because I've had stuff just die and buyer/seller protection nowadays is a must when buying or selling stuff online.

You think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Confirming ex-miner cards CAN be a fantastic deal. I have a couple of mates who run ex-miner cards without problems and were really happy with what they paid for them. But I'm completely on board with not buying them without buyer protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Confirming ex-miner cards CAN be a fantastic deal. I have a couple of mates who run ex-miner cards without problems and were really happy with what they paid for them. But I'm completely on board with not buying them without buyer protection.
    I'm fairly certain the whole shtick "don't buy from miners" is another marketing ploy. Thermal limits are governed on bios side and rarely miner bothers to flash every single card they buy etc..., even if they do it's usually undervolting. Memory gets a good load to work with but in my entire life I have never seen memory dying before core does. You get a decent card for a 'bargain' if not all, then most of the time.

I have had RAM go bad on my graphics card before, but this was in the GTX 6000-8000 days, so a very long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    I'm fairly certain the whole shtick "don't buy from miners" is another marketing ploy. Thermal limits are governed on bios side and rarely miner bothers to flash every single card they buy etc..., even if they do it's usually undervolting. Memory gets a good load to work with but in my entire life I have never seen memory dying before core does. You get a decent card for a 'bargain' if not all, then most of the time.
    Would not hesitate to buy a miner card. BIOS flashing isn't done much anymore from what I can tell, the serious miners use HIVE OS where you can set individual card profiles so it's not needed anymore. I might be wary of 3090 cards as they have badly cooled memory modules on the back of the PCB but other than that I'd just make sure the fans work properly.

But I'd also make sure I got it dirt cheap because F miners tbh, they've made their money already.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Would not hesitate to buy a miner card. BIOS flashing isn't done much anymore from what I can tell, the serious miners use HIVE OS where you can set individual card profiles so it's not needed anymore. I might be wary of 3090 cards as they have badly cooled memory modules on the back of the PCB but other than that I'd just make sure the fans work properly.

But I'd also make sure I got it dirt cheap because F miners tbh, they've made their money already.
    If you can reliably distinguish before purchase whether the card is a relatively recent addition to a 'serious miners' stable, then fair enough. Otherwise at best you're playing roulette with a (still pretty expensive) card that's had a far heavier duty cycle than a few hours of gaming per week, has no warranty, is about to be passed by a new generation of GPUs, and as you remark, is helping a filthy cryptominer cash out and thus be encouraged to do this shit to us all over again the next time crypt spikes and/or electricity prices go down.

Fuck miners. Give them nothing.
    Fuck em
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Nvidia hid how many GPUs it was selling to cryptocurrency miners, says SEC: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/...crypto-miners/

Nvidia has agreed to pay $5.5 million in fines to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission to settle charges that it failed to disclose how many of its GPUs were being sold for cryptocurrency mining, the agency announced today.

These charges are unrelated to the current (slowly ebbing) crypto-driven GPU shortage. Rather, they deal with a similar but smaller crypto-driven bump in GPU sales back in 2017.

The agency's full order (PDF) goes into more detail. During its 2018 fiscal year, Nvidia reported increases in its GPU sales but did not disclose that those sales were being driven by cryptocurrency miners. The SEC alleges that Nvidia knew these sales were being driven by the relatively volatile cryptocurrency market and that Nvidia didn't disclose that information to investors, misleading them about the company's prospects for future growth.

Nvidia did disclose how cryptocurrency mining was affecting other segments of its business—the company made and sold some GPUs marketed exclusively to cryptocurrency miners. This created an impression that Nvidia was being transparent about the impact of cryptocurrency mining on its overall business, even though those CMP products didn't stop people from buying regular GeForce gaming GPUs to use for cryptocurrency mining.

Nvidia has not admitted fault but has "agreed to a cease-and-desist order and to pay a $5.5 million penalty," the order says.

If you want to know why this failure to disclose might upset investors, recall the aftermath of the 2017-era crypto bubble, when Nvidia missed earnings expectations and lost billions in stock market value because of a collapse in demand for GPUs. The popping of that cryptomining bubble also led to a glut of inventory that retailers had trouble moving, even after price cuts.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

6900XT on Amazon for 890 in stock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPEEDSTER-M.../dp/B09BZP8KZG

Also XFX Merc 319 6800XTs for 801. This is more like what we should be seeing. Not sure why the XFX cards are leading the price charge, they were one of the better reviewed cards and not a budget marque by any means, but whatever the reason, it's great to see the prices coming down every few days.

That's not bad at all, now hopefully 4090 will launch at a reasonable price.

I mean it's still a bonkers price for a video card but at least it's merely bonkers not actual wallet-rape

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I mean it's still a bonkers price for a video card but at least it's merely bonkers not actual wallet-rape
    It's a top end card so it's an ok price after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    It's a actually reasonable value compared to 800 for a 6800xt. But that means it's reasonable in a bonkers context
    Again, the truly top end cards always were around the $1000 mark. Which is fine. What is not fine is having the mainstream at the $600-$800 mark and the $300-400 cards being ridiculously underpowered (see the 3050 for example or that crappy 6500XT).

It's a actually reasonable value compared to 800 for a 6800xt. But that means it's reasonable in a bonkers context
    Again, the truly top end cards always were around the $1000 mark. Which is fine. What is not fine is having the mainstream at the $600-$800 mark and the $300-400 cards being ridiculously underpowered (see the 3050 for example or that crappy 6500XT).

But top end cards are $1500+ now

FHC derping the post order again

Yes, "MSRP", but they sold for $2500+.

Let me put it this way, if the 4090 comes out for ~$6-700ish and the 4090Ti/Titan comes out for $1000, that's ok. Having a 4070 around $4-500 and a 4060 for 300 would be ideal tbh.

Yeah I just reject the normalising of the idea that 800 is a reasonable price to pay for a video card