hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 234 of 237 FirstFirst ... 134184224231232233234235236237 LastLast
Results 4,661 to 4,680 of 4724

Thread: What Video Card can i exchange my kidneys for? [2021]

It depends how much volume they can get to market and if their drivers become less garbage. The top end SKU is roughly comparable to a 3070 with lower power consumption according to all the leaks, so if they can get that to market with any kind of volume it'll be a disruption. Alternatively they might just join the pricing cartel and go 'we've got a slightly better 3070, yours for £900. Have fun fuckers!'
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

What Video Card can i exchange my kidneys for? [2021]

If thereís any company that can afford to go aggressive pricing to cut into the market and disrupt - thatís Intel. However they donít have a history of aggressive pricing because they never had to cut into a market.

If you remember the days of Athlon and P4, they would still price their EE rather ridiculously even though San Diego and Opteron were slapping them in performance all over the place whilst being much lower priced.

Hereís hoping though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

That's been my line of thinking as well. However, 2 points

1. Last 2 gen CPU's have been very competitive at the medium and low end value wise. I would say the last gen is very competitive at the high end as well bang for buck.

2. Intel has zero good will when it comes to gpu's.

It's a different company today than it was only 5 years ago and if it wasn't for the current market situation I think Intel would have a very aggresive pricing strategy. As it is today the cards will only get scalped if they're priced low I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; February 6 2022 at 12:57:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    As it is today the cards will only get scalped if they're priced low I'm afraid.
    Tucks full of Intel cards found in NVIDIA owned warehouses - calling it now.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Based on my comprehensive survey carried out by clicking on four online store links, UK Nvidia card availability appears to be improving slowly and prices are creeping down slowly:
    https://www.cclonline.com/category/4...-Cards/page_2/

Of course everything is still overpriced. 3070 and 3070ti cards seem to be priced the same within the current pricing situation.

Are Nvidia 40X0 cards still supposed to launch this autumn?

This Autumn would be 2 years since the 3000 series came out, so I'd expect so. It's generally assumed RDNA3 is also due somewhere around summer/early Autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    If thereís any company that can afford to go aggressive pricing to cut into the market and disrupt - thatís Intel. However they donít have a history of aggressive pricing because they never had to cut into a market.

If you remember the days of Athlon and P4, they would still price their EE rather ridiculously even though San Diego and Opteron were slapping them in performance all over the place whilst being much lower priced.

Hereís hoping though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even in the bad days of 14nm+++++, Intel didn't have to cut pricing much because regardless of how much better Zen-x was, AMD simply couldn't supply more than ~20% of the CPU market. Plus Intel still have a vast backfield team doing software support and optimisation.

These conditions do not apply to GPU production.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Rumor has it the 3090Ti's don't work. 10% up on a 3090 isn't exactly titan class performance either. Not that it matters as nobody will ever have one.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

I think fomo will be big this fall among folks who watched gpu prices skyrocket since the 30xx launch. I will at leasr buy 2 cards or so if one fails and wait times could be auper long for supplies or peices go up after the launch. Gpus will be the new toiletpaper for tech folks n gamers.
    Its going to be a paperlaunch / low supply launch again.

GPU prices are real-deal dropping now, and it's great to see. I can see XFX Merc 319 6800XTs for £819 on Amazon; they were £835 on Friday. The resellers are offloading stock and undercutting each other in £10-20 slices every day or two. It's lovely to see.

Be careful about picking up ex-mining stock tho.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

We're now in that kind of odd window where stuff is getting up for 2 years old (the Ampere cards were launched in September 2020) and everyone knows the next gen is coming Soon(tm). A lot of people who've spent the entire generation waiting won't want to pull the trigger now, and at the same time crypto in general has collapsed by around 40% against its November 2021 peak so that extends the breakeven point if you're buying for mining, even more so given that energy prices have skyrocketed in a lot of nations. So demand is suppressed, supply is still...eh.

We'll see what the next six months or so brings, in my completely worthless opinion if you're still hanging on to a 10 series/RX500 you might want to be looking at the mid-high end of the current cards but outside of that, see what Lovelace/RDNA3 brings to the table.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    GPU prices are real-deal dropping now, and it's great to see. I can see XFX Merc 319 6800XTs for £819 on Amazon; they were £835 on Friday. The resellers are offloading stock and undercutting each other in £10-20 slices every day or two. It's lovely to see.

Be careful about picking up ex-mining stock tho.
    Also FYI - "untested" means "I tested it, and it's broken"

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

I saw miners selling 3090's for £750 local to me.

Very tempted.

Still running my GTX 970.

Watching prices and thinking of a 3060 Ti but I don't play too much lately so might just wait to be teased with 4000 series...

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    I saw miners selling 3090's for £750 local to me.

Very tempted.
    Mined cards are usually undervolted and well cared for so I don't see why not. Of course ensure you have buyer protection (so no cash).

They can also have fucked-with BIOSs, and who wants to support such a shitty industry by helping miners cash out? Fuck em.

Zekk nailed it when he said that who the hell wants to pay still-above-MSRP prices for 2 year old cards when a new generation is immanent? If I have to pay £800 to replace my 1060, then why wouldn't I get an RDNA3 instead of an RDNA2? They're going to have to get a lot cheaper to be attractive to me. 6800XTs with manufacturer warranty drop to £375? Yeah OK, I'm in. But if they stay around MSRP+? Yeah nah fuck off I'll hold out for a 7700 with better raster and much better ray tracing.

The MSRP of a 3090 was like £1200, so one that's £750 and not fucked is kinda a good deal. The only issue is that the 3090 is only slightly better than the 3080 and has interesting thermal issues around its RAM.

The 3090 is a beast of a card with 24GB VRAM (which is actually useful for a lot of crap nowadays seeing games are tens of gigs in size and most of it it's textures) and 750 quid is actually a good deal for one. I know I'd take one at that price and honestly the "2 gen old card" trope is just dumb. The 40x0 series can't bring much more power, Ampere has hit the sweet spot between power offered and power drawn and are still monster cards that require a 1kW PSU for that matter. Lovelace will be too power hungry and won't offer too much of a step up in terms of actual processing power imo.

3090Ti would be ideal but 3090 would do and the price is fair - again, you will need buyer protection then put it through its paces the first 30 days.

Edit: 7770 looks interesting but if AMD taught me something is that you'll be able to boil eggs on it albeit yeah them raster numbers will be insane ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    The 3090 is a beast of a card with 24GB VRAM (which is actually useful for a lot of crap nowadays seeing games are tens of gigs in size and most of it it's textures) and 750 quid is actually a good deal for one. I know I'd take one at that price and honestly the "2 gen old card" trope is just dumb. The 40x0 series can't bring much more power, Ampere has hit the sweet spot between power offered and power drawn and are still monster cards that require a 1kW PSU for that matter. Lovelace will be too power hungry and won't offer too much of a step up in terms of actual processing power imo.

3090Ti would be ideal but 3090 would do and the price is fair - again, you will need buyer protection then put it through its paces the first 30 days.

Edit: 7770 looks interesting but if AMD taught me something is that you'll be able to boil eggs on it albeit yeah them raster numbers will be insane ^^
    I have a 3080 FE, so whilst tempting I dont need a 3090. I am keeping an eye on the sale, its either a scam or the guy is not having much luck. Its a classified on facebook so no buyer protection, but the guy does offer pickup and to see the card working. SO whon knows? I'm not gonna buy it tho

"All cards have been underclocked and undervolted, kept at a cool and controlled temperature so they'll be great for gaming or mining for years to come and you're more than welcome to test them at my place before you buy!"

Thats the line that caught my attention.

I did a tiny bit of dabbling in mining with my 3090, the card definitely ran at very low core clocks and could undervolt very well, but keeping the RAM at a sensible temperature was hard, mostly because of the RAM on the back of the card. Most backplates were very bad at doing any cooling on those RAM chips. It may be worth seeing if he ran fans blowing on the backs of the cards or extra heat sinks on the back.