hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 231 of 233 FirstFirst ... 131181221228229230231232233 LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,620 of 4645

Thread: What Video Card can i exchange my kidneys for? [2021]

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    I have said many, many times that AMD would abuse a dominant market position just as hard as Intel does, it's just they very rarely have it.
    Business 101

Pricing products below what people will readily pay for it is an act of business insanity

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Yeah but at this point there are a lot of people who have been paying thousands for a GPU, if that trend keeps on it will just price out people out of PC gaming as a whole.

Who in their right mind would pay 1000 quid for a mid-grade GPU? Everybody, apparently. Does it make it good business practice to price accordingly? Yes. Is that business practice good for the consumers? Not really.

No sane manufacturer is going to leave a 200$ GPU market unattended if they have the capacity to fill it. Nvidia and AMD would _love_ to sell you 200$ cards over not selling you any cards at all. ATM they're capacity constrained as we all know but that price vacuum won't last forever.

I'm mostly surprised both of them haven't released a proper mining card and not just a rebranded gaming one. A small 20 CU cacheless 6700XT class chip with a 512 bit bus would be a miners wet bandwidth dream which they could charge a premium for. It would be totally unsuitable for gamers as they demand bigger chips and they could make tons of them in no time.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    I'm mostly surprised both of them haven't released a proper mining card and not just a rebranded gaming one. A small 20 CU cacheless 6700XT class chip with a 512 bit bus would be a miners wet bandwidth dream which they could charge a premium for. It would be totally unsuitable for gamers as they demand bigger chips and they could make tons of them in no time.
    I think it's mostly PR reasons they haven't. On the one hand they probably don't want to be associated with crypto miners, the stigma of illegality and energy waste combined with the lack of supply of normal gaming GPU's would make many people very angry if they released something like that. And on the other hand both brands have dedicated computing GPU's now (which are insanely fast, dedicated cards like the nvidia A100 are ridiculously good) with business pricing to match. A "cheap" mining GPU would cause some headscratching as to why businesses should pay the premium for the other computing cards I guess.

Well the perfect mining GPU would only need enough compute power to fill the memory bandwith. Current gaming as well as compute gpu chips are nedlessly large for mining as evidenced by the downclocking of every gpu on the market while they're mining.

And while I said "I'm surprised" I'm really not. Crypto is still new and ridicuosly volatile. There's no way to plan for crypto as they've gone from negliable demand to super high demand several times over. I mean why risk manufacturing small gpu chips that gamers doesn't want over bigger chips that miners will buy anyway?

As process nodes get smaller, memory interfaces become increasingly hard to fit simply because of the number of pins. A 20CU 512 bit bus part would have an enormous footprint, thus a lot of wasted silicon.

Have an RX5700XT (Red devil), which are trading at 800+ atm ... what the flying fuck? What the fuck is wrong with people? I haven't seen GPU's this expensive since 1992 ffs.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegs View Post
    Have an RX5700XT (Red devil), which are trading at 800+ atm ... what the flying fuck? What the fuck is wrong with people? I haven't seen GPU's this expensive since 1992 ffs.
    my rtx2070 super is more expensive today than last year when I bought it.
    Blame cryptocurrency assholes.

My 3090 is still up 900. fuuuuu
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Yep, the whole thing is retarded. I'd hoped that things would settle down at the end of this year but now people are saying, "Check back in 2023, and not early 2023 either". Gotta wait for the new fabs to come on line, then wait for the new fabs to have made enough product to satisfy the backlogged demand. And that's assuming that the fucking cryptominers don't just buy all the new production, which is kind of a large assumption to make.

So fuck it, I'm out. PC gaming is too expensive a hobby for me as it stands; I can't compete with people literally making money when I just want to have a little fun. I'll have a PC, but this CPU will last me until it dies, likewise the videocard. And when the GPU dies... if I can't get something decent for about what I paid for the 1060, then I'll get something shit for what I paid for the 1060. Or just go the APU route. The Rembrandt APUs are supposed to be better performance than a 1050GTX, and that's honestly good enough for what I actually do these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Yep, the whole thing is retarded. I'd hoped that things would settle down at the end of this year but now people are saying, "Check back in 2023, and not early 2023 either". Gotta wait for the new fabs to come on line, then wait for the new fabs to have made enough product to satisfy the backlogged demand. And that's assuming that the fucking cryptominers don't just buy all the new production, which is kind of a large assumption to make.

So fuck it, I'm out. PC gaming is too expensive a hobby for me as it stands; I can't compete with people literally making money when I just want to have a little fun. I'll have a PC, but this CPU will last me until it dies, likewise the videocard. And when the GPU dies... if I can't get something decent for about what I paid for the 1060, then I'll get something shit for what I paid for the 1060. Or just go the APU route. The Rembrandt APUs are supposed to be better performance than a 1050GTX, and that's honestly good enough for what I actually do these days.
    Its ridiculous for sure. I have a gaming laptop that I should sell that i bought, I have it incase I need a backup, but tbh its got a 2070, its pretty decent!

As things stand I can't even have the standard No Money plan of "Well maybe I get a 6800XT when people are selling them off for a couple of hundred quid" because we live in a time when 5 year old R580s are going for half a grand or more on Amazon.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

For real:

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Saw a tidbit on GN that said NVIDIA, in an effort to fix the shortage, was going to re-introduce 2060 cards...with 12GB of RAM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Saw a tidbit on GN that said NVIDIA, in an effort to fix the shortage, was going to re-introduce 2060 cards...with 12GB of RAM.
    And those will instantly be bought by miners so...

Yes, they are. It's the weirdest launch ever. They're supposed to launch this week, but there's no product page from nVidia, no official confirmation of specs, and AIB partners are saying they don't know what the MRSP is going to be (not that it matters because they'll get immediately scalped and sold for 500+).

All this for a 3 year old design constrained by low memory bandwidth that doesn't have a hope in hell of doing Ultra 1080p on modern titles, let alone anything higher.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Hilariously it would actually have been cheaper for them to have re-released the 2070s with 10GB but that would have performed too well...

Yes, they are. It's the weirdest launch ever. They're supposed to launch this week, but there's no product page from nVidia, no official confirmation of specs, and AIB partners are saying they don't know what the MRSP is going to be (not that it matters because they'll get immediately scalped and sold for 500+).

All this for a 3 year old design constrained by low memory bandwidth that doesn't have a hope in hell of doing Ultra 1080p on modern titles, let alone anything higher.
    It's a mining card. the 20x0 series cards are not artificially "mining impaired" by the drivers/bios.
    Mining also uses a lot of ram, thus the increased memory on the card.

This is basically Nvidia either:
    a) trying to get miners away from their 30x0 something cards with attractive alternatives to relieve the PC gaming market.
    b) trying make a buck by selling old tech that is easier to produce today.

take your pick.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    that doesn't have a hope in hell of doing Ultra 1080p on modern titles, let alone anything higher.
    Expecting anything with *60* in the name to do 1080p Ultra on recent games is unreasonable. Lower your expectations.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post

It's a mining card. the 20x0 series cards are not artificially "mining impaired" by the drivers/bios.
    Mining also uses a lot of ram, thus the increased memory on the card.

This is basically Nvidia either:
    a) trying to get miners away from their 30x0 something cards with attractive alternatives to relieve the PC gaming market.
    b) trying make a buck by selling old tech that is easier to produce today.

take your pick.
    I believe it is produced on an older process that doesn't compete for wafer space with current gen GPUs