hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 92 of 142 FirstFirst ... 428289909192939495102 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2840

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

  1. #1821
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Are people really using up 16gb of RAM? I've never come close to using it all even with several things running, including famed memory gobbler Minecraft.

  2. #1822
    big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    So I've got a decent rig atm, i5 k series oc'd with 16gb of ram and a gtx 770. So far I've been happy with it.

    I have noticed ram usage is not as comfortable as it was a year ago with some of the games I'm playing. So I was thinking about a small upgrade.

    Also my daughter is big into gaming and her PC (my old one an i7 920) could do with a. Bit more oomph. So I was thinking of a new 950 for her, but that means new PSU.

    So with that in mind, and bearing in mind the improvements in sli in dx12, would it be worth getting a second hand 770, new PSU for me and another 16gig of ram. Giving her my PSU and a 950 plus more ram for her?

    Is this silly?
    Best cards for DX12 right now are AMD. nVidia cards still don't fully support it properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

  3. #1823
    big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Mona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgus View Post
    Could a 390x run something like the Witcher on good settings at 1440p (27")?

    How's the heat on the card?
    I have aftermarked 780ti, which is kinda on the level with stock 980, with good settings at 1440 I have 35-55 fps (most stupid postprocessings are off).
    780 series famously doesn't run as fast as 980/970 in games with nVidia Gameworks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

  4. #1824

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    569
    Yeah but nVidia Gameworks can go suck a dick
    Putin 2012

  5. #1825

    Join Date
    December 15, 2011
    Location
    The Establishment
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgus View Post
    Yeah but nVidia Gameworks can go suck a dick
    Presumably a hairy dick...

  6. #1826
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    4,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    So I've got a decent rig atm, i5 k series oc'd with 16gb of ram and a gtx 770. So far I've been happy with it.

    I have noticed ram usage is not as comfortable as it was a year ago with some of the games I'm playing. So I was thinking about a small upgrade.

    Also my daughter is big into gaming and her PC (my old one an i7 920) could do with a. Bit more oomph. So I was thinking of a new 950 for her, but that means new PSU.

    So with that in mind, and bearing in mind the improvements in sli in dx12, would it be worth getting a second hand 770, new PSU for me and another 16gig of ram. Giving her my PSU and a 950 plus more ram for her?

    Is this silly?
    Best cards for DX12 right now are AMD. nVidia cards still don't fully support it properly.
    What GPU is in your daughters pc? You should in no way be seeing ram issues with 16GB you may well however be having VRAM issues (770's are only 2GB cards).
    Decent options are in order of performance R9 290x/GTX 970, R9 390x, GTX980 and if money is of little concern GTX980Ti. Depending on what is in your daughter's PC she may benefit from taking your old 770 (if putting this in stresses your PSU you must have a very lightweight gpu already). The price difference in the uk between a 390 and a 980 is enough to make any performance issues moot.

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  7. #1827
    Mona's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,261
    Seems like Maxwells will be worse for VR in DX12 than Radeons.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...ort/?limit=500

  8. #1828
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    20,720
    typical Nvidia bullshittery lol
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

  9. #1829
    Tyrehl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    [STUGH] Rote Kapelle
    Posts
    3,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Mona View Post
    Seems like Maxwells will be worse for VR in DX12 than Radeons.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...ort/?limit=500
    At this rate the thread name should be more like 'dont buy nvidia' to save us all some time
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

  10. #1830
    Donor
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,312
    There's some room for squeezing more performance from Maxwell through optimisations but essentially NV is going to be running uphill in any DX12 game that makes use of async shaders, and that'll be most of them since every serious game engine will have support as offloading compute tasks to the GPU is a huge, huge deal on the consoles because of their weak CPUs. And when you can have compute tasks execute concurrently with rendering work it's a major win. Those Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks showing the 290X matching a 980Ti are almost certainly the shape of things to come. The question now is not AMD's advantage with DX12 but the extent of it - is Ashes an extreme case of GCN superiority or, as the devs are suggesting, more of a baseline that will be improved on by later DX12 games.

    I expected AMD hardware to come out looking good under DX12/Vulkan, GCN is a flexible and forward-looking architecture while NVidia designs their GPUs to win benchmarks on launch day with little thought for the future, but Maxwell having no async scheduling capability is a staggering oversight and basically makes it a horrible move to buy any NV card if you expect to keep it beyond about 12 months.

  11. #1831
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,018
    Again, all current consoles are AMD GPUs too, right? So developer education & efforts will consolidate in AMD's favour, as well as ease porting to PC.
    Plus I'd expect consoles can update their OSs to add more recent OpenGL/DX12-equiv APIs to also smooth keeping pace with PC progress.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; August 31 2015 at 01:09:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  12. #1832
    XenosisReaper
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Again, all current consoles are AMD GPUs too, right? So developer education & efforts will consolidate in AMD's favour, as well as ease porting to PC.
    Plus I'd expect consoles can update their OSs to add more recent OpenGL/DX12-equiv APIs to also smooth keeping pace with PC progress.
    >as well as ease porting to PC.

    Where have you been?

  13. #1833
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,018
    Not playing shit console games or their ports tbh.
    There's no reason they can't do a well-working job (and I'm sure many have done successfully to little fanfare), it's just publishers not wanting to pay for it, so they push shit & try justify it with 'par-for-the-course' and 'cinema-fps'.

    Do you have some way to twist this to justifying nvidia still?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  14. #1834
    XenosisReaper
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Not playing shit console games or their ports tbh.
    There's no reason they can't do a well-working job (and I'm sure many have done successfully to little fanfare), it's just publishers not wanting to pay for it, so they push shit & try justify it with 'par-for-the-course' and 'cinema-fps'.

    Do you have some way to twist this to justifying nvidia still?
    Not really?

    I'm just saying if AMD's domination of the console market should be improving the quality of PC ports, it's not working

  15. #1835
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,018
    Because DX12 isn't a viable target w.r.t. market share yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  16. #1836
    XenosisReaper
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Because DX12 isn't a viable target w.r.t. market share yet?
    Oh so is this only with DX12 adoption going forward?

    I probably misread part of your post or something

  17. #1837
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Mona View Post
    Seems like Maxwells will be worse for VR in DX12 than Radeons.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...ort/?limit=500
    *looks at Fury X Card* *feelsgoodman*

    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Again, all current consoles are AMD GPUs too, right? So developer education & efforts will consolidate in AMD's favour, as well as ease porting to PC.
    Plus I'd expect consoles can update their OSs to add more recent OpenGL/DX12-equiv APIs to also smooth keeping pace with PC progress.
    i hope they can properly leverage their advantage better than they did with x64, hopefully they will leverage it enough to make Nvidia's Gameworks shennanigans look even more dodgy than they already do.

    it's classic AMD/ATI though, gambling on where things are heading rather than on what's great now, sometimes it works (Clawhammer) sometimes the requirements dont go where they expect and it fails (Bulldozer).
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  18. #1838
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    4,914
    From the reddit thread by oxide
    Ashes uses a modest amount of it, which gave us a noticeable perf improvement. It was mostly opportunistic where we just took a few compute tasks we were already doing and made them asynchronous, Ashes really isn't a poster-child for advanced GCN features
    And looking at the Ars review seeing the 290x compete with a 980 Ti under DX12 makes me wonder how that lead will stretch if some one goes all out with DX12 parallelisation.

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  19. #1839
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    From the reddit thread by oxide
    Ashes uses a modest amount of it, which gave us a noticeable perf improvement. It was mostly opportunistic where we just took a few compute tasks we were already doing and made them asynchronous, Ashes really isn't a poster-child for advanced GCN features
    And looking at the Ars review seeing the 290x compete with a 980 Ti under DX12 makes me wonder how that lead will stretch if some one goes all out with DX12 parallelisation.
    well, the FLOPS count gives a fairly good indicator on how the compute differences between the cards look, Tom's Hardware has a decent comparison chart, it's by no means everything there is to say though, the GPU architecture is the real killer for current-gen Nvidia chips.

    it does make me wonder how hard the Fury-X is going to be curb-stomping the Titan X in DX12 comparisons though.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  20. #1840

    Join Date
    December 15, 2011
    Location
    The Establishment
    Posts
    1,319
    Does this mean that the 980 Ti has gone from shitting all over AMDs new lineup to being trashed by Dx12 inside of 2 months?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •