hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 135 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Re: What Video Card Should I Buy?

well photo says its an MSI, so my only concern is who are they really sourcing cards from. But no other than that if its a 1gb 460 than its a 1gb 460

Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra
    HERE! YOU'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING ELSE! TAKE MY PANTS!

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando
    any problems with getting a 460s like this? http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...ov-gtx461.html
    No problem other than being not very good value for money when faster cards like the 5850 are selling for a fair bit less:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1711

XenosisReaper

<3 my sapphire 460GTX

nVidia cards don't do MSAA in directx10 at all apparently!? I am disappoint. You can set any options you want but no AA gets applied (forced thru control panel or via software). There has been much mud-slinging between two companies about this.

Consequences:
    My software (boring charts dx10.1) will look shit on nvidia card.
    Even if I write a dx11 codepath it will still look shit on an nvidia dx10 card.
    I will recommend software only be run on AMD cards because then it looks like sex.

Note: Not totally irrelevant to gamers, there has been shit about some dx10 games and benchmarks because of this. But hey, fuckers are still releasing dx9 games right? (crysis2, shogun2 etc)

edit: irrelevant to new current generation cards. But not irrelevant to me because my software has to run on average PCs, even shitty intel integrated graphics >.<

Need a new card since my 4870x2 has died. Really disappointed with ATi at the moment from a driver POV, but I'd still give them another go if I can actually get some stability.

Got 200 to spend, 650w Corsair modular PSU.

I'm looking at this at the moment, although this looks good as well.

Suggestions please, want to buy tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

check if that 6950 is unlockable, i picked up an asus 6950 2gig last week
    unlocked to 6970 and oc'd to 950/1400 which is significantly faster than a stock 6950, but iirc only the reference designs unlock so dunno about that particular one

Making golden statues and raising your insurance premiums

Out of curiosity, what are people actually playing these days that sees a worthwhile gain in performance from unlocking & OC'ing a 6950?

Quote Originally Posted by kzig
    Out of curiosity, what are people actually playing these days that sees a worthwhile gain in performance from unlocking & OC'ing a 6950?
    EVE?
    Need more speakers

Ignoring BIOS unlocking, is there any advantage in getting a 6950 2GB over the 1GB version?

Theoretical argument points: would there be performance differences at high resolutions (2560x1600+)? high AA settings (8xEQAA)? or Crossfire scaling (2x2GB vs 2x1GB).

From benchmarks I've seen there isn't much difference between the two, aside from the fact the 2GB costs a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganbacca
    Ignoring BIOS unlocking, is there any advantage in getting a 6950 2GB over the 1GB version?

Theoretical argument points: would there be performance differences at high resolutions (2560x1600+)? high AA settings (8xEQAA)? or Crossfire scaling (2x2GB vs 2x1GB).

From benchmarks I've seen there isn't much difference between the two, aside from the fact the 2GB costs a little more.
    A 2x1GB card only has 1GB of effective framebuffer. EVE at 2560x1600, everything maxed and 16xQ AA needs a frame buffer just over 1200MB. As a videocard can't use the equivalent of a swap file you will get about 0.5fps when you blow the memory limit (if it even loads in the first place).

If you are a fan of playing with multiple clients with high AA you need to have a card with a lot of frame buffer. I have the 3GB GTX 580 for this very reason as it has a full 3GB of memory to use.
    Need more speakers

Yup 2560x1600 is the reason you need insane graphics card. And you need an e800+ monitor for that.

Getting 60fps at 1080 doesn't need a top of the range card.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana
    Quote Originally Posted by Loganbacca

A 2x1GB card only has 1GB of effective framebuffer. EVE at 2560x1600, everything maxed and 16xQ AA needs a frame buffer just over 1200MB. As a videocard can't use the equivalent of a swap file you will get about 0.5fps when you blow the memory limit (if it even loads in the first place).

If you are a fan of playing with multiple clients with high AA you need to have a card with a lot of frame buffer. I have the 3GB GTX 580 for this very reason as it has a full 3GB of memory to use.
    Stupid question department - does a non-visible EVE client need frame buffer also? I run two clients in full screen on a single 2560x1600 monitor, alt-tabbing between them. Would a regular 1.5GB GTX 580 suffice, or would that second EVE instance still need another 1.2GB of frame buffer and therefore I should go with a 3GB version?

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Koshka
    Stupid question department - does a non-visible EVE client need frame buffer also? I run two clients in full screen on a single 2560x1600 monitor, alt-tabbing between them. Would a regular 1.5GB GTX 580 suffice, or would that second EVE instance still need another 1.2GB of frame buffer and therefore I should go with a 3GB version?
    That is correct, the memory is not released just because the client is hidden.

The memory need has changed a bit with the latest SiSi build as you no longer have the option to set 16xQ AA, just high/medium/low whatever they are.

With two clients in space at 2560x1600, everything ingame maxed, I use more or less on the dot 1.5GB in total. Dock one of the clients and it goes to 1.7GB, dock the second one and it will reach 1.9GB. However if you just log in without undocking both clients use 1.2GB in total.

If you can afford it, aim for the 3GB model as things only will get more resource hungry from here.
    Need more speakers

[quote=Mashie Saldana]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Audrey Koshka":1cetaf2h

The memory need has changed a bit with the latest SiSi build as you no longer have the option to set 16xQ AA, just high/medium/low whatever they are.

With two clients in space at 2560x1600, everything ingame maxed, I use more or less on the dot 1.5GB in total. Dock one of the clients and it goes to 1.7GB, dock the second one and it will reach 1.9GB. However if you just log in without undocking both clients use 1.2GB in total.

If you can afford it, aim for the 3GB model as things only will get more resource hungry from here.[/quote:1cetaf2h]

Thank you so much for the excellent information and advice!

[quote=Audrey Koshka][quote="Mashie Saldana":306cbp56]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Audrey Koshka":306cbp56

If you can afford it, aim for the 3GB model as things only will get more resource hungry from here.[/quote:306cbp56]

Thank you so much for the excellent information and advice![/quote:306cbp56]

Forgot to ask, single card or SLI, and what sort of framerate in space / in CQ are you able to get? Does the second non-visible client still take up render power or is the system smart enough to skip that?

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Koshka
    Forgot to ask, single card or SLI, and what sort of framerate in space / in CQ are you able to get? Does the second non-visible client still take up render power or is the system smart enough to skip that?
    As I upgraded to SLI last week I can answer this question as well...

All settings in game to max, vsync on (interval 1 in game), fullscreen 2560x1600, 2 clients running

Single GTX 580
    Space 60fps
    CQ 40-42fps

Dual GTX 580
    Space 60fps
    CQ 60fps

As you will be running on a LCD for this resolution it's no point at all to run with vsync off.

If you run in windowed mode the performance will be cut quite a bit in CQ (20-30fps single card and 1920x1440 windows, 40fps same settings and SLI).
    Need more speakers

[quote=Mashie Saldana]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Audrey Koshka":1qgjd36w
    As I upgraded to SLI last week I can answer this question as well...

All settings in game to max, vsync on (interval 1 in game), fullscreen 2560x1600, 2 clients running

Single GTX 580
    Space 60fps
    CQ 40-42fps

Dual GTX 580
    Space 60fps
    CQ 60fps

As you will be running on a LCD for this resolution it's no point at all to run with vsync off.

If you run in windowed mode the performance will be cut quite a bit in CQ (20-30fps single card and 1920x1440 windows, 40fps same settings and SLI).[/quote:1qgjd36w]

Sweet, I can live with 40fps and thereby avoid spending over 1k on video cards. I'll build my machine with a HX850 instead of the HX750 from Ryas' guide so that I've got headroom to go SLI down the road. You rock, btw.

What is best, Nvidia 560 or ATI 6850? I've got about 150 to spend on myself! (<3 fathers day)

Enlighten me!

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo
    What is best, Nvidia 560 or ATI 6850? I've got about 150 to spend on myself! (<3 fathers day)

Enlighten me!
    I went with the msi 560 ti myself about a month ago and my god its fucking amazing so if you can plumb up the extra cash i'd go for a ti over the standard 560 & also the 6850 cant be flashed unless its a reference PCB board which i don't think you can buy easily now. I'd go with the 560 ti myself as the extra 48 cores make a difference over the bog standard 560 & you can pick up a Gigabyte version over at scan.co.uk for 173.47.

Will 1Gb be enough memory for me? I run a 1920x1200 monitor.