hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 184 of 187 FirstFirst ... 84134174181182183184185186187 LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,680 of 3736

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

No reason for AMD not to duck just under the price performance curve at launch, but it's what happens in the months after that interests me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. AMD has been banging the "We Innovate" and "driving performance up" drum on the CPU side of things. It would be weird for their GPU side to stagnate and replace their Vegas with similarly performing equally priced cards. Mixed messaging and all that.

And it was supposed to be a replacement for Polaris in the midrange, there's not a whole lot of performance to drop before you end up at the 590 and those cards go for 220 USD. That's a pretty wide price delta.

Anyway, won't be long until E3. We'll know then.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. AMD has been banging the "We Innovate" and "driving performance up" drum on the CPU side of things. It would be weird for their GPU side to stagnate and replace their Vegas with similarly performing equally priced cards.
    The GPU side has stagnated a bit because all the R&D money was spent on Ryzen. AMD came really close to going out of business not so long ago and GPU development was cut down to the bone, the only work done on GPUs was basically spin-offs form the custom console stuff. That's why the GCN architecture hasn't changed much since the 290X.

I don't expect Navi to be a revolution, it's likely to be 7nm Vega with tweaked shader cores and better geometry throughput. It takes 3-5 years for GPU architecture improvements to make it into a shipping product, so Navi isn't going to see much benefit from the cash generated by Ryzen sales. One thing AMD may be able to do is actually produce a full top-to-bottom range of dies this time, something they haven't had to resources to do since the HD7000 series.

I'm not expecting to have any reason to be rushing to replace my Vega 64 with a Navi card.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    I just want an upgrade to the RX580 that can fit in 2 slots (my case can't take anything larger). The Sapphire cards are 2.2 slots and the ROG STRIX cards are usually 2.5 to 3 slots.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

I'm more concerned to get a card that doesn't suck down more watts than a beserk-mode microwave.
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. AMD has been banging the "We Innovate" and "driving performance up" drum on the CPU side of things. It would be weird for their GPU side to stagnate and replace their Vegas with similarly performing equally priced cards. Mixed messaging and all that.

And it was supposed to be a replacement for Polaris in the midrange, there's not a whole lot of performance to drop before you end up at the 590 and those cards go for 220 USD. That's a pretty wide price delta.

Anyway, won't be long until E3. We'll know then.
    Navi is Vega without expensive HMB2. Sould be cheaper than that leak imo, but they just got some profit margins back by using gddr6. Word is still that radeon groupd cant wait to fuck it off though

Other new leaks. New X580 mobos for Zen2 have been a bit fuckey. Need active cooling fans and big heat sinks. Slowing the release somewhat. However, Zen 2 has a 5 gig OC 12 core part with 10 to 12% ipc improvements over thelast gen ryzen stuff. Spicey. Means that theres a 16 core part out there.

I've seen people saying that some of the 570 chipset boards have active cooling because of the PCIe 4
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Excuse me, what the fuck. So AMD, instead of going for more performance for a decent price decided to match their competitor's prices?

Fucking 2019...
    AMD is a business, not a charity.
    I would have done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I've seen people saying that some of the 570 chipset boards have active cooling because of the PCIe 4
    C

They will all have beefy heatsinks and might be a tad closer to equivalent intel mobo rather than the cheaper 470s and so on of past amd, because of these requirements and a few other issues. The interposer is supposed to cost the suppliers $50 before you even start.

Donor
    Yes, that does seem to be the case. It's likely the fan won't spin unless you plug in a PCIe 4.x device driven by the chipset's lanes, which in practice means a 4.x capable M.2 SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    Yes, that does seem to be the case. It's likely the fan won't spin unless you plug in a PCIe 4.x device driven by the chipset's lanes, which in practice means a 4.x capable M.2 SSD.
    One would hope. Those chipset fans from the past were truly annoying. A thin sheet of aluminum together with a 30mm fan that shredded its ball bearings after 6 months...God I hated those things.

Chipset fans were the main reason I built my first watercooled pc and when it was time to upgrade all chipsets were passively cooled again. Packed up the watercooler kit and stowed it away.

Found it.

I that Asetek gear? Haven't seen something like that in a really long time.

I like the stuff coming out of AMD lately and tbh the market will speak up if their GFX prices are unreasonable.

I did start recently thinking about an upgrade, but at the current RAM prices I'd rather go for another tattoo
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I that Asetek gear? Haven't seen something like that in a really long time.

I like the stuff coming out of AMD lately and tbh the market will speak up if their GFX prices are unreasonable.

I did start recently thinking about an upgrade, but at the current RAM prices I'd rather go for another tattoo
    I think RAM prices have actually dropped a lot these last few months. At least my Corsair Vengeance are now close to half the price of when i bought them about a year ago, and i have noticed several other Vengeance series also are a lot cheaper now

GSKill 64GB DDR4 kits are close to 1000 quid, I paid like 500 for mine (yes, it was 2013 or so, still...).

Unsure if Corsair adjusts their pricing bit better, but I was happier with GSkill (less RMA-ing so to speak).

Edit: apparently 128GB kits are around 800 quid, which is acceptable (in 8 modules). I suppose it's not so bad, depending on what you can find. RGB kits are more expensive for some reason?
    Last edited by Cosmin; May 23 2019 at 07:33:58 AM.

RAM prices have indeed been dropping but its a bit hit and miss around here (and still higher than before the great ram price hike). eg, from the same store I can get 16GB kits of Vengeance LPX 2666MHz for the same price as Vengeance LPX 2400MHz and for $10 LESS get Vengeance LPX 3000MHz.. RGB seems to add almost $50 to the price..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

In the meantime i got a set of 2x8gb rgb 3200 ram that's working flawlessly for 100 dollars.

Ram prices have dropped a shitload.

less RMA-ing so to speak
    I swear to god.

Yet 10 years ago 12GB of DDR3 was only 120, so slower and a little less of it but I am not impressed by 10 years of innovation.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

I paid 82€ 3 years ago for 16 gb of ddr3...

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Yet 10 years ago 12GB of DDR3 was only 120, so slower and a little less of it but I am not impressed by 10 years of innovation.
    They innovated their pricing scheme.

Also, this is the video card thread, not the RAM thread.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    I swear to god.

It's a personal preference based on personal anecdotal experience. Are you happy now?