hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 195 of 196 FirstFirst ... 95145185192193194195196 LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 3908

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Does ray tracing feel a little gratuitous for anyone else for vidya games? I can't imagine ray tracing looking better than high res meshes/textures/mappings for the same resources.

In the end it's always down to the art direction. Many a game with lower or worse tech and 'lower res' assets can look better than wannabe realistic shit through the power of art direction and design.

RT done *well* looks absolutely insane and good lighting is probably the single largest impact on the image you could possibly get though.
    Last edited by Isyel; October 24 2019 at 07:12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Does ray tracing feel a little gratuitous for anyone else for vidya games? I can't imagine ray tracing looking better than high res meshes/textures/mappings for the same resources.

In the end it's always down to the art direction. Many a game with lower or worse tech and 'lower res' assets can look better than wannabe realistic shit through the power of art direction and design.

RT done *well* looks absolutely insane and good lighting is probably the single largest impact on the image you could possibly get though.
    Yea that's a great video describing the changes a good RT for lighting brings. I think the team that worked on Control knew this was going to be the poster child for RT stuff given how good it seems to be optimized and performing smoothly. He mentioned the stuttering at certain portions but what you said about art direction makes me wonder if it could be on purpose as a mini slowmo or pause to make throwing a barrel at someone feel like it has more impact.

Still I like the look of it, now if only blender's cycles could give me real time RT.

The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

Regarding Control, it's interesting how two examples of the same game with similar settings can alter your opinion. That Shadowlag™ when raytracing was on really annoyed me.

I guess developers are still learning how to best use the (limited) resources without tanking performance. Not there yet as a technology but it's still early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    That Shadowlag™ when raytracing was on really annoyed me.
    I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about with the above.

12:30 into the video.

Yup, still no idea sorry.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    12:30 into the video.
    Are you referring to shadows in the pot being different from shadows on the table? Because I'm not really seeing it.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

No, it's the shadow from the pillar on the floor. It grows for a while after you stop moving.

No, it's the shadow from the pillar on the floor. It grows for a while after you stop moving.
    Should probably have mentioned it's in the other video not directly talking about control itself.

Also, have you actually played the game with RT on?

I have, you literally never notice that unless you're focusing on it something fierce. I know I didn't and I played it all the way through and more.

When the character stopped moving, the shadow was still in motion.
    Hence Shadowlag™
    The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

Shadows tend to be behind in rendering by a few frames so you see lighting and shadow misplaced a little. More noticeable when things are moving like the reflections of a car off a street. Could be fixed by some clever artwork like baking the reflections as a separate 3D scene and having the reflections be a portal for it or something.

I noticed the noise on some surfaces but only when he pointed it out. I think it was just that one room that had really bad noise though. Would also be fixed by being careful where to use RT and leave it out.

Ordered a Red Devil 5700 XT. The GN videos did help me decide, and the Black Friday discount motivated me to get it.

I have never spent more than $210 on a video card, and this was twice that. I hope it's worth it.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Ordered a Red Devil 5700 XT. The GN videos did help me decide, and the Black Friday discount motivated me to get it.

I have never spent more than $210 on a video card, and this was twice that. I hope it's worth it.
    Never? Then you're in for a treat. Welcome to the world of above 60fps. Just don't plug it in to a 4k display.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Never? Then you're in for a treat. Welcome to the world of above 60fps. Just don't plug it in to a 4k display.
    I ran my RX580 at 75 fps on a 1080p ultrawide. This will allow me to crank everything to max.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    So I bought an MSI 5700 XT Gaming X card 11 days ago. Here's my n=1 story on how that went.

I knew going in that the drivers for Navi cards were still a bit shaky. Assumed I could probably get it to acceptable levels with some tinkering and that I could return it within 2 weeks if it didn't go as expected. First thoughts were that the hardware is absolutely fantastic. Card looks nice, well built and the cooler is insanely good, so it doesn't make much noise under full load. It's audible, but that's about it (I hate using the word quiet for things you can still hear).

Then the problems started:
    - Order in which you plugged in the DisplayPort cables really mattered. I had tons of problems starting VR at first, those went away once I figured out which DP port was the "first" and "second" and "third" port and plugging in my main monitor, 2nd monitor and VR glasses respectively. Since the manual doesn't mention any of this that was a bit awkward to figure out.
    - Random crashes, at least one per day. All monitors would go black and the computer would stop responding. Reset button was the only option. Tried many different driver versions but was unable to fix this. Sometimes it happened after hours of gaming, sometimes 5 seconds after starting a benchmark. Incredibly inconsistent. Known problem many people suffer from.
    - Performance in games on my 2560x1080 monitor was very inconsistent (bought the card for VR, not because I needed the performance on this monitor). Sometimes the drivers failed to notice that they needed to do stuff so the card would remain clocked <300Mhz which obviously led to choppiness. Known problem many people suffer from.
    - After wiping all GPU drivers off of my system with DDU and reinstalling 19.12.1 (last version with 2019 software as the 2020 software in the 19.12.2 and 19.12.3 versions is very beta atm) things got worse. Playing an embedded youtube video without making it fullscreen led to very choppy video playback, other browser window (one per monitor) going completely white and only coming back after vigorously mousing over it for a few seconds, and eventually a blue screen. I'm assuming this is related to the known problem of not always clocking up enough (like the previous point).
    - Wattman software (for overclocking) barely worked. Half the time it wouldn't show anything if you opened it, and the other half it showed less than I expected with a completely borked layout. You can barely overclock a 5700 XT anyway, so I didn't really mind, but it's still bad.

Yesterday I gave up, returned the card, and got an MSI 2070 Super Gaming X Trio instead. This card is even quieter because it has an oversized 2080 cooler on it, but it's also even bigger and needs a huge brace to stay upright. Everything else on this card is super boring because it all just works the first time I try it and I haven't encountered a single problem yet. Even overclocking was push butan for automatic MHz boost and dial in +1000 Mhz on the memory with zero problems. I haven't even rebooted since installing the drivers yet and it all works. Downside is that it's 33% more expensive than the 5700 XT was (in NL) and only like 10% faster, so a worse deal. But at this point I'm really happy with it.

I really hope team Red get their shit together because the Navi driver situation is appalling. I'm convinced all my problems were software and not hardware. When the 5700 XT worked it worked beautifully, that just didn't happen often enough.
    Last edited by Overspark; December 31 2019 at 10:29:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    So I bought an MSI 5700 XT Gaming X card 11 days ago. Here's my n=1 story on how that went.

I knew going in that the drivers for Navi cards were still a bit shaky. Assumed I could probably get it to acceptable levels with some tinkering and that I could return it within 2 weeks if it didn't go as expected. First thoughts were that the hardware is absolutely fantastic. Card looks nice, well built and the cooler is insanely good, so it doesn't make much noise under full load. It's audible, but that's about it (I hate using the word quiet for things you can still hear).

- Order in which you plugged in the DisplayPort cables really mattered. I had tons of problems starting VR at first, those went away once I figured out which DP port was the "first" and "second" and "third" port and plugging in my main monitor, 2nd monitor and VR glasses respectively. Since the manual doesn't mention any of this that was a bit awkward to figure out.
    - Random crashes, at least one per day. All monitors would go black and the computer would stop responding. Reset button was the only option. Tried many different driver versions but was unable to fix this. Sometimes it happened after hours of gaming, sometimes 5 seconds after starting a benchmark. Incredibly inconsistent. Known problem many people suffer from.
    - Performance in games on my 2560x1080 monitor was very inconsistent (bought the card for VR, not because I needed the performance on this monitor). Sometimes the drivers failed to notice that they needed to do stuff so the card would remain clocked <300Mhz which obviously led to choppiness. Known problem many people suffer from.
    - After wiping all GPU drivers off of my system with DDU and reinstalling 19.12.1 (last version with 2019 software as the 2020 software in the 19.12.2 and 19.12.3 versions is very beta atm) things got worse. Playing an embedded youtube video without making it fullscreen led to very choppy video playback, other browser window (one per monitor) going completely white and only coming back after vigorously mousing over it for a few seconds, and eventually a blue screen. I'm assuming this is related to the known problem of not always clocking up enough (like the previous point).
    - Wattman software (for overclocking) barely worked. Half the time it wouldn't show anything if you opened it, and the other half it showed less than I expected with a completely borked layout. You can barely overclock a 5700 XT anyway, so I didn't really mind, but it's still bad.

Yesterday I gave up, returned the card, and got an MSI 2070 Super Gaming X Trio instead. This card is even quieter because it has an oversized 2080 cooler on it, but it's also even bigger and needs a huge brace to stay upright. Everything else on this card is super boring because it all just works the first time I try it and I haven't encountered a single problem yet. Even overclocking was push butan for automatic MHz boost and dial in +1000 Mhz on the memory with zero problems. I haven't even rebooted since installing the drivers yet and it all works. Downside is that it's 33% more expensive than the 5700 XT was (in NL) and only like 10% faster, so a worse deal. But at this point I'm really happy with it.

I really hope team Red get their shit together because the Navi driver situation is appalling. I'm convinced all my problems were software and not hardware. When the 5700 XT worked it worked beautifully, that just didn't happen often enough.
    Sounds to me like you got a faulty card in general mate. Drivers are shaky yes, but that just screams *something is wrong with this card, return it* more than simple driver issues.

In b4 REEEE FANBOI
    Last edited by Isyel; December 31 2019 at 10:34:07 AM.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Sounds to me like you got a faulty card in general mate. Drivers are shaky yes, but that just screams *something is wrong with this card, return it* more than simple driver issues.

In b4 REEEE FANBOI
    Naw, pretty much all my issues are known problems that reddit is REEEEing about and are acknowledged by AMD in the known issues of their driver packages. 19.12.3 specifically states it should fix the crashing problem, but most redditors say the crashes are still there.

In b4 REEEE FANBOI
    Yea sounds like a defective card.
    But i too have seen alot of posts about weird driver issues with the cards.
    I have had a gigabyte 5700xt myself for about a month now, and haven't had a single issue, sofar. No crashes, black screen or all the other various problems. But i also haven't tried to play around with OC yet

Everything else on this card is super boring because it all just works the first time I try it and I haven't encountered a single problem yet. Even overclocking was push butan for automatic MHz boost and dial in +1000 Mhz on the memory with zero problems. I haven't even rebooted since installing the drivers yet and it all works. Downside is that it's 33% more expensive than the 5700 XT was (in NL) and only like 10% faster, so a worse deal. But at this point I'm really happy with it.
    Piece of mind is worth a premium.
    Nvidia is expensive, but you can't fault them. Good products.
    All we can do is wait for AMD to catch up and start giving proper price competition.

But I don't think AMD cares about contesting in the top shelf league.