hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 196 of 198 FirstFirst ... 96146186193194195196197198 LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 3948

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

  1. #3901
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    So I bought an MSI 5700 XT Gaming X card 11 days ago. Here's my n=1 story on how that went.

    I knew going in that the drivers for Navi cards were still a bit shaky. Assumed I could probably get it to acceptable levels with some tinkering and that I could return it within 2 weeks if it didn't go as expected. First thoughts were that the hardware is absolutely fantastic. Card looks nice, well built and the cooler is insanely good, so it doesn't make much noise under full load. It's audible, but that's about it (I hate using the word quiet for things you can still hear).

    Then the problems started:
    - Order in which you plugged in the DisplayPort cables really mattered. I had tons of problems starting VR at first, those went away once I figured out which DP port was the "first" and "second" and "third" port and plugging in my main monitor, 2nd monitor and VR glasses respectively. Since the manual doesn't mention any of this that was a bit awkward to figure out.
    - Random crashes, at least one per day. All monitors would go black and the computer would stop responding. Reset button was the only option. Tried many different driver versions but was unable to fix this. Sometimes it happened after hours of gaming, sometimes 5 seconds after starting a benchmark. Incredibly inconsistent. Known problem many people suffer from.
    - Performance in games on my 2560x1080 monitor was very inconsistent (bought the card for VR, not because I needed the performance on this monitor). Sometimes the drivers failed to notice that they needed to do stuff so the card would remain clocked <300Mhz which obviously led to choppiness. Known problem many people suffer from.
    - After wiping all GPU drivers off of my system with DDU and reinstalling 19.12.1 (last version with 2019 software as the 2020 software in the 19.12.2 and 19.12.3 versions is very beta atm) things got worse. Playing an embedded youtube video without making it fullscreen led to very choppy video playback, other browser window (one per monitor) going completely white and only coming back after vigorously mousing over it for a few seconds, and eventually a blue screen. I'm assuming this is related to the known problem of not always clocking up enough (like the previous point).
    - Wattman software (for overclocking) barely worked. Half the time it wouldn't show anything if you opened it, and the other half it showed less than I expected with a completely borked layout. You can barely overclock a 5700 XT anyway, so I didn't really mind, but it's still bad.

    Yesterday I gave up, returned the card, and got an MSI 2070 Super Gaming X Trio instead. This card is even quieter because it has an oversized 2080 cooler on it, but it's also even bigger and needs a huge brace to stay upright. Everything else on this card is super boring because it all just works the first time I try it and I haven't encountered a single problem yet. Even overclocking was push butan for automatic MHz boost and dial in +1000 Mhz on the memory with zero problems. I haven't even rebooted since installing the drivers yet and it all works. Downside is that it's 33% more expensive than the 5700 XT was (in NL) and only like 10% faster, so a worse deal. But at this point I'm really happy with it.

    I really hope team Red get their shit together because the Navi driver situation is appalling. I'm convinced all my problems were software and not hardware. When the 5700 XT worked it worked beautifully, that just didn't happen often enough.
    This mirrors almost exactly my issues with the XFX 7970. Ended up sending it back for a GTX680. Pretty disappointing to see it's 2019 and the same issues are still there - mainly with failing to clock up the card when needed, likely a thing encountered more often with multimonitor setups.

    The "card was defective" and "it's not the card, it's you, you need to reinstall Windows for the card to work are just as bad.


    I really want AMD to come up with another X800GTO or another X800XT PE. They made it happen with Ryzen for CPUs, so I still have faith in them <3
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  2. #3902
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    3,795
    Well I've spent the past 3 years with an RX 480 I was always really happy with and didn't have issues with, so it's not like AMD makes bad (GPU) products all the time, they've made plenty of good ones too.

    The drivers were great for GCN cards. Vega was shaky at first but got better. Radeon VII was a total rip-off that never had it's major issues fixed. And Navi is apparently surprisingly bad for a lot of people but not for all people. Honestly I'm surprised the same driver version that worked absolutely fantastic on my old RX 480 was such a pile of shit on Navi.

  3. #3903

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Well I've spent the past 3 years with an RX 480 I was always really happy with and didn't have issues with, so it's not like AMD makes bad (GPU) products all the time, they've made plenty of good ones too.

    The drivers were great for GCN cards. Vega was shaky at first but got better. Radeon VII was a total rip-off that never had it's major issues fixed. And Navi is apparently surprisingly bad for a lot of people but not for all people. Honestly I'm surprised the same driver version that worked absolutely fantastic on my old RX 480 was such a pile of shit on Navi.
    It's a bit strange I agree. My RX470, RX570 and Vega have been faultless since the day I installed them. The onboard graphics of the Ryzen 5 2400G was however a bit iffy at times with flickering on the secondary monitor once in a while.


    My geforce 760 OTOH turned into an ugly mess with microstutters across the entire system from sound to network to graphics. Yay for anecdotes!
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; January 1 2020 at 01:12:59 PM.

  4. #3904
    walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Posts
    6,664
    My anecdotal two cents: I've had a 9800 pro, HD2600 XT and a 7950, and now I've got a 5700.

    Never had a problem with any of em.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

  5. #3905
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    5,095
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    So I bought an MSI 5700 XT Gaming X card 11 days ago. Here's my n=1 story on how that went.

    I knew going in that the drivers for Navi cards were still a bit shaky. Assumed I could probably get it to acceptable levels with some tinkering and that I could return it within 2 weeks if it didn't go as expected. First thoughts were that the hardware is absolutely fantastic. Card looks nice, well built and the cooler is insanely good, so it doesn't make much noise under full load. It's audible, but that's about it (I hate using the word quiet for things you can still hear).

    Then the problems started:
    - Order in which you plugged in the DisplayPort cables really mattered. I had tons of problems starting VR at first, those went away once I figured out which DP port was the "first" and "second" and "third" port and plugging in my main monitor, 2nd monitor and VR glasses respectively. Since the manual doesn't mention any of this that was a bit awkward to figure out.
    - Random crashes, at least one per day. All monitors would go black and the computer would stop responding. Reset button was the only option. Tried many different driver versions but was unable to fix this. Sometimes it happened after hours of gaming, sometimes 5 seconds after starting a benchmark. Incredibly inconsistent. Known problem many people suffer from.
    - Performance in games on my 2560x1080 monitor was very inconsistent (bought the card for VR, not because I needed the performance on this monitor). Sometimes the drivers failed to notice that they needed to do stuff so the card would remain clocked <300Mhz which obviously led to choppiness. Known problem many people suffer from.
    - After wiping all GPU drivers off of my system with DDU and reinstalling 19.12.1 (last version with 2019 software as the 2020 software in the 19.12.2 and 19.12.3 versions is very beta atm) things got worse. Playing an embedded youtube video without making it fullscreen led to very choppy video playback, other browser window (one per monitor) going completely white and only coming back after vigorously mousing over it for a few seconds, and eventually a blue screen. I'm assuming this is related to the known problem of not always clocking up enough (like the previous point).
    - Wattman software (for overclocking) barely worked. Half the time it wouldn't show anything if you opened it, and the other half it showed less than I expected with a completely borked layout. You can barely overclock a 5700 XT anyway, so I didn't really mind, but it's still bad.

    Yesterday I gave up, returned the card, and got an MSI 2070 Super Gaming X Trio instead. This card is even quieter because it has an oversized 2080 cooler on it, but it's also even bigger and needs a huge brace to stay upright. Everything else on this card is super boring because it all just works the first time I try it and I haven't encountered a single problem yet. Even overclocking was push butan for automatic MHz boost and dial in +1000 Mhz on the memory with zero problems. I haven't even rebooted since installing the drivers yet and it all works. Downside is that it's 33% more expensive than the 5700 XT was (in NL) and only like 10% faster, so a worse deal. But at this point I'm really happy with it.

    I really hope team Red get their shit together because the Navi driver situation is appalling. I'm convinced all my problems were software and not hardware. When the 5700 XT worked it worked beautifully, that just didn't happen often enough.
    Sounds to me like you got a faulty card in general mate. Drivers are shaky yes, but that just screams *something is wrong with this card, return it* more than simple driver issues.

    In b4 REEEE FANBOI
    Yea sounds like a defective card.
    But i too have seen alot of posts about weird driver issues with the cards.
    I have had a gigabyte 5700xt myself for about a month now, and haven't had a single issue, sofar. No crashes, black screen or all the other various problems. But i also haven't tried to play around with OC yet
    I am suffering with almost exactly the same issues my self with my 5700XT, I have had to turn of hardware rendering in both twitch and chrome as each would use between 30 and 50% of my gpu playing videos at 1440p and playing a video and a game as well would cause crashes. Not happy atm with it but not impressed atm at all with PC's I have had many issues with drivers in my build, from nvme drivers destroying performance to audio drivers causing blue screens and some driver somewhere causing readonly memory write?? errors, I have reinstalled various drivers multiple times and have reached a point where it is mostly stable :/ for now.
    Last edited by Tailn; January 3 2020 at 11:14:35 AM.

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  6. #3906
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Everything else on this card is super boring because it all just works the first time I try it and I haven't encountered a single problem yet. Even overclocking was push butan for automatic MHz boost and dial in +1000 Mhz on the memory with zero problems. I haven't even rebooted since installing the drivers yet and it all works. Downside is that it's 33% more expensive than the 5700 XT was (in NL) and only like 10% faster, so a worse deal. But at this point I'm really happy with it.
    What software did you use to overclock the card?

  7. #3907
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Everything else on this card is super boring because it all just works the first time I try it and I haven't encountered a single problem yet. Even overclocking was push butan for automatic MHz boost and dial in +1000 Mhz on the memory with zero problems. I haven't even rebooted since installing the drivers yet and it all works. Downside is that it's 33% more expensive than the 5700 XT was (in NL) and only like 10% faster, so a worse deal. But at this point I'm really happy with it.
    What software did you use to overclock the card?
    MSI Afterburner. Works for cards from other brands too. Overclocking is very limited as NVIDIA doesn't want it to endanger the 2080 but it's still good anyway.

  8. #3908

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,663
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    My anecdotal two cents: I've had a 9800 pro, HD2600 XT and a 7950, and now I've got a 5700.

    Never had a problem with any of em.
    ^ Had a bunch of them and never had any major issues.

    No more than with nvidias I've had at least. Some of their software is atrocious.

  9. #3909
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,733
    ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB: $280
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  10. #3910
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB: $280
    I have that card. It's beefy, 30.5cm long and 2.5 slots.

    I've seen so many itx builds lately that I'd love to move my hardware (2600x) onto an itx board but the card severely limits what cases would work.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  11. #3911
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB: $280
    I have that card. It's beefy, 30.5cm long and 2.5 slots.

    I've seen so many itx builds lately that I'd love to move my hardware (2600x) onto an itx board but the card severely limits what cases would work.

    Tapapapatalk
    I got a STRIX 980 Ti to fit in my Fractal Design Define Nano S. You can get the newer Strix cards to fit if you use an SFX PSU.

    edit: Manufacturer website says they support up to 315mm cards.
    Last edited by Nordstern; March 30 2020 at 01:19:29 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  12. #3912
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB: $280
    I have that card. It's beefy, 30.5cm long and 2.5 slots.

    I've seen so many itx builds lately that I'd love to move my hardware (2600x) onto an itx board but the card severely limits what cases would work.

    Tapapapatalk
    I got a STRIX 980 Ti to fit in my Fractal Design Define Nano S. You can get the newer Strix cards to fit if you use an SFX PSU.

    edit: Manufacturer website says they support up to 315mm cards.
    And lots of ITX cases only do 30cm or less. It was just a heads up.

    Good to know though, I like their cases and I regret buying this RGB explosion that's my Thermaltake monster.

    Edit: Further research shows that the case doesn't handle 2.5 slot cards such as the Asus. At least not with an ATX PSU. One could get an adapter plate for a SFX but then I'd be replacing my PSU as well as the mainboard etc.

    Might as well see what the smallest ATX case is at that point.
    Last edited by Joe Appleby; March 30 2020 at 10:39:37 PM.
    nevar forget

  13. #3913
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Edit: Further research shows that the case doesn't handle 2.5 slot cards such as the Asus. At least not with an ATX PSU. One could get an adapter plate for a SFX but
    Yes...I said as much in my earlier post.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  14. #3914
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Edit: Further research shows that the case doesn't handle 2.5 slot cards such as the Asus. At least not with an ATX PSU. One could get an adapter plate for a SFX but
    Yes...I said as much in my earlier post.
    Yeah...

    Still sucks that there are no easily available ITX cases for 2.5 slot cards. Or rather ITX cases that take advantage of the form factor.
    nevar forget

  15. #3915
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,509
    Not editing my last post because postcount is irrelevant.

    Oh god... a rabbit hole swallowed me.

    So the only ITX case that has an actually decently small footprint and is capable of holding a 2.5 slot GPU is the Phanteks Evolve Shift. Which is a pretty hot running system, but they introduced the air version with mesh sidepanels. I could even move that case onto my desk.
    nevar forget

  16. #3916
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    2,909
    The case looks pretty. Do it!

  17. #3917

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    3,424
    There are so many cool itx cases out there and it makes me want to build build build.

    Unfortunately I have zero need for another pc but my nephew does need a replacement..... Yeees, I shall "have words" with his father about sponsoring the lad some new hardware. The Phantek shift case isn't even that expensive.

  18. #3918
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,509
    I would be replacing the PSU, mainboard and case just to ... safe some space that doesn't need saving? I will also need to replace the cooler, currently the 2600x is watercooled, but a 240 radiator wouldn't fit. Luckily I kept the stock cooler unless I decide to grab another 120 radiator.

    It's more of a project to pass the time if school stays closed until the summer.
    nevar forget

  19. #3919
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    2,909
    Ah, not man enough to do it eh eh eh

  20. #3920
    prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3,880
    I had a Fury Nano in my M1, and switched over to a Strix Vega 64 last year.

    Had to deshroud it, and remove the stock fans. It's not a golden chip, but it's undervolted runs two NF-F12s in exhaust. 6 fans in the case, no issues!
    Will probably switch over to whatever the big RND2 card will be next spring. Hell, I'm still on my ancient 6600k :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Prom is right and you're dumb.
    Latest Video - The Inner Zone
    YouTube - LiveStream

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •