hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 141 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4191131138139140141142143144 LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 2865

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

  1. #2801
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,111
    So ugh, anything in the rumor mill regarding prices returning to normal / new tech or is this a bend over and take it type of scenario at the moment? I need to upgrade my whole PC but even a 6GB 1060 is like $300. $200 for the 3GB but is that enough for 1600p (probably?).

  2. #2802
    root's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 26, 2011
    Location
    The Camel Empire
    Posts
    2,941
    There was a rumor about a 1070ti a few days ago.
    Has that been busted or confirmed?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

  3. #2803
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    So ugh, anything in the rumor mill regarding prices returning to normal / new tech or is this a bend over and take it type of scenario at the moment? I need to upgrade my whole PC but even a 6GB 1060 is like $300. $200 for the 3GB but is that enough for 1600p (probably?).
    I wouldn't be getting anything less an 4GB of "real" VRAM nowadays

    What will you be playing?

  4. #2804
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,111
    WH2 and ES2 if I had to guess. Hopefully at max settings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #2805
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    WH2 and ES2 if I had to guess. Hopefully at max settings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I might be being dumb but IDK what those are

  6. #2806
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    So ugh, anything in the rumor mill regarding prices returning to normal / new tech or is this a bend over and take it type of scenario at the moment? I need to upgrade my whole PC but even a 6GB 1060 is like $300. $200 for the 3GB but is that enough for 1600p (probably?).
    As long as you aren't buying a 470/480/570/580/Vega or a 1070/1080, prices should be reasonable. I would not get anything with less than 4GB of memory.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  7. #2807
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,111
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    WH2 and ES2 if I had to guess. Hopefully at max settings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I might be being dumb but IDK what those are
    Total War Warhammer 2 + Endless Space 2 (GPU light though).

    Bought a 1060 3GB. Shit's just too expensive to justify the higher end cards right now based on how much I play.

  8. #2808
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    WH2 and ES2 if I had to guess. Hopefully at max settings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I might be being dumb but IDK what those are
    Total War Warhammer 2 + Endless Space 2 (GPU light though).

    Bought a 1060 3GB. Shit's just too expensive to justify the higher end cards right now based on how much I play.
    TWW2 might struggle a bit with that, it needs a couple of optimization patches first

  9. #2809
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,111
    Scratch that. I decided to cancel the order.

    I'm going to try and play on the Geforce Now service since they have a mac version now and then buy a better card when prices come down. Works okay so far over wifi but gonna go and grab a dongle and see how it performs wired.

  10. #2810
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    when prices come down
    Umm... do you know when that might happen?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  11. #2811
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,111
    Probably when ram supply rises to meet demand, miners suffer a shock, or a new platform is replaced.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #2812
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,281
    What I don't get is how the actual fuck new hardware costs much more than RRP. Because this way actual legit gamers are painted derp into a corner by retarded people chasing bits and bobs. Not saying that NVIDIA should do something, but if your product is overpriced and doesn't reach its intended audience and you as a company don't get any monies in the process...?

    Idk. It sucks, tbh.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?©Doomchinchilla 2015

  13. #2813
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,281
    Ok, so checked newegg, 1070 are ~430$ whilst the RRP from NVIDIA is 349$. Sigh
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?©Doomchinchilla 2015

  14. #2814
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    3,094
    Don't expect the demand from miners to go down anytime soon. While several cryptocoins are moving in a direction where GPU mining is no longer viable or possible new ones are jumping up left and right to fill in the gaps. Cryptocurrency as a phenomenon is here to stay, so it might take years before that effect on the GPU market is gone.

    The only thing that can bring those prices down in the foreseeable future is more supply.

  15. #2815
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    What I don't get is how the actual fuck new hardware costs much more than RRP. Because this way actual legit gamers are painted derp into a corner by retarded people chasing bits and bobs. Not saying that NVIDIA should do something, but if your product is overpriced and doesn't reach its intended audience and you as a company don't get any monies in the process...?

    Idk. It sucks, tbh.
    What?

    Why would Nvidia not get any money

    Also, it's mostly the AIB sellers who need to up their supply, but if people are willing to pay more and they keep selling out then I can't see that happening for a while.

  16. #2816
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    6,948
    Nobody has any interest in increasing supply - it's prohibitively expensive for someone like nVidia to get extra fab time to respond to what is a temporary demand increase.

    It's only a matter of time before they start segmenting it with mining specific cards, anyway - the rumoured GTX 1070 Ti is the first step in that direction.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  17. #2817
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Nobody has any interest in increasing supply - it's prohibitively expensive for someone like nVidia to get extra fab time to respond to what is a temporary demand increase.

    It's only a matter of time before they start segmenting it with mining specific cards, anyway - the rumoured GTX 1070 Ti is the first step in that direction.
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ge...d-details.html

  18. #2818
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Probably when ram supply rises to meet demand, miners suffer a shock, or a new platform is replaced.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1. The DAG file size for Ethereum is expected to exceed 3GB mid-2018, which is why so many miners are buying 4GB cards now. That will last for some time, probably until the RX600 series arrives.
    2. The "shocks" that will affect miners are: cracking down on crypto like China has done (which simply eases the difficulty bomb for everyone else and brings coin prices down a bit), developers moving to POS (which is resolved by miners simply moving to another coin which uses POW), and a currency crash (which no one can predict). Regarding the last one, a lot of miners take their pool payouts in bitcoin, so as long as that stays relatively stable, they don't care how volatile the other coins are.
    3. The RX470 is two generations old, but is still king of the heap for AMD hashing efficiency, so it's very much in demand. New is not always better, as Vega shows.

    I agree with Zekk that the best way to fix this is to design one architecture for mining/data computation and one for gaming. Of course, this was done with Tesla, and while they can be used for mining, they are expensive and power-hungry.
    Last edited by Nordstern; October 1 2017 at 06:49:26 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  19. #2819
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,739
    The 470 also doubles as a room heater for cold Chinese winters, win win

  20. #2820
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,111
    Well, Amazon didn't cancel the order fast enough. Do I roll with the 1060 3GB? I'm leaning towards ye.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •