hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 141 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4191131138139140141142143144 LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 2865

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

So ugh, anything in the rumor mill regarding prices returning to normal / new tech or is this a bend over and take it type of scenario at the moment? I need to upgrade my whole PC but even a 6GB 1060 is like $300. $200 for the 3GB but is that enough for 1600p (probably?).

There was a rumor about a 1070ti a few days ago.
    Has that been busted or confirmed?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    So ugh, anything in the rumor mill regarding prices returning to normal / new tech or is this a bend over and take it type of scenario at the moment? I need to upgrade my whole PC but even a 6GB 1060 is like $300. $200 for the 3GB but is that enough for 1600p (probably?).
    I wouldn't be getting anything less an 4GB of "real" VRAM nowadays

What will you be playing?

WH2 and ES2 if I had to guess. Hopefully at max settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.

I might be being dumb but IDK what those are

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    As long as you aren't buying a 470/480/570/580/Vega or a 1070/1080, prices should be reasonable. I would not get anything with less than 4GB of memory.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post

Total War Warhammer 2 + Endless Space 2 (GPU light though).

Bought a 1060 3GB. Shit's just too expensive to justify the higher end cards right now based on how much I play.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post

Total War Warhammer 2 + Endless Space 2 (GPU light though).

Bought a 1060 3GB. Shit's just too expensive to justify the higher end cards right now based on how much I play.
    TWW2 might struggle a bit with that, it needs a couple of optimization patches first

Scratch that. I decided to cancel the order.

I'm going to try and play on the Geforce Now service since they have a mac version now and then buy a better card when prices come down. Works okay so far over wifi but gonna go and grab a dongle and see how it performs wired.

when prices come down
    Umm... do you know when that might happen?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Probably when ram supply rises to meet demand, miners suffer a shock, or a new platform is replaced.

What I don't get is how the actual fuck new hardware costs much more than RRP. Because this way actual legit gamers are painted derp into a corner by retarded people chasing bits and bobs. Not saying that NVIDIA should do something, but if your product is overpriced and doesn't reach its intended audience and you as a company don't get any monies in the process...?

Idk. It sucks, tbh.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?©Doomchinchilla 2015

Ok, so checked newegg, 1070 are ~430$ whilst the RRP from NVIDIA is 349$. Sigh
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?©Doomchinchilla 2015

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Don't expect the demand from miners to go down anytime soon. While several cryptocoins are moving in a direction where GPU mining is no longer viable or possible new ones are jumping up left and right to fill in the gaps. Cryptocurrency as a phenomenon is here to stay, so it might take years before that effect on the GPU market is gone.

The only thing that can bring those prices down in the foreseeable future is more supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    What I don't get is how the actual fuck new hardware costs much more than RRP. Because this way actual legit gamers are painted derp into a corner by retarded people chasing bits and bobs. Not saying that NVIDIA should do something, but if your product is overpriced and doesn't reach its intended audience and you as a company don't get any monies in the process...?

Idk. It sucks, tbh.
    What?

Why would Nvidia not get any money

Also, it's mostly the AIB sellers who need to up their supply, but if people are willing to pay more and they keep selling out then I can't see that happening for a while.

Nobody has any interest in increasing supply - it's prohibitively expensive for someone like nVidia to get extra fab time to respond to what is a temporary demand increase.

It's only a matter of time before they start segmenting it with mining specific cards, anyway - the rumoured GTX 1070 Ti is the first step in that direction.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Nobody has any interest in increasing supply - it's prohibitively expensive for someone like nVidia to get extra fab time to respond to what is a temporary demand increase.

It's only a matter of time before they start segmenting it with mining specific cards, anyway - the rumoured GTX 1070 Ti is the first step in that direction.
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ge...d-details.html

Probably when ram supply rises to meet demand, miners suffer a shock, or a new platform is replaced.

1. The DAG file size for Ethereum is expected to exceed 3GB mid-2018, which is why so many miners are buying 4GB cards now. That will last for some time, probably until the RX600 series arrives.
    2. The "shocks" that will affect miners are: cracking down on crypto like China has done (which simply eases the difficulty bomb for everyone else and brings coin prices down a bit), developers moving to POS (which is resolved by miners simply moving to another coin which uses POW), and a currency crash (which no one can predict). Regarding the last one, a lot of miners take their pool payouts in bitcoin, so as long as that stays relatively stable, they don't care how volatile the other coins are.
    3. The RX470 is two generations old, but is still king of the heap for AMD hashing efficiency, so it's very much in demand. New is not always better, as Vega shows.

I agree with Zekk that the best way to fix this is to design one architecture for mining/data computation and one for gaming. Of course, this was done with Tesla, and while they can be used for mining, they are expensive and power-hungry.
    Last edited by Nordstern; October 1 2017 at 06:49:26 PM.

The 470 also doubles as a room heater for cold Chinese winters, win win

Well, Amazon didn't cancel the order fast enough. Do I roll with the 1060 3GB? I'm leaning towards ye.