hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 151 of 152 FirstFirst ... 51101141148149150151152 LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 3038

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

We'll talk more when you actually have some experience getting 24/7 stable overclocks with more than 8-16GB RAM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    We'll talk more when you actually have some experience getting 24/7 stable overclocks with more than 8-16GB RAM.
    Given the rate that your RAM is failing I wouldn't call anything you do "stable"

edit: I'm really kinda curious as to why you have an overclock, a 4930k and that RAM

Did you just google "most powerful PC 2013" and slam everything into your shopping basket? Or were you socket locked to LGA 1155? You're aware that DDR4 has been the norm for about 4 years now, right? Smartphones have been using it since 2015 or earlier.

you're acting like getting an overclock working with 16GB of RAM is somehow hard? most modern motherboards have a button that literally does that for you (if you trust them to not fuck it up)
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; July 28 2018 at 11:28:13 AM.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    cosmin you are occasionally guilty of sounding like a literate version of lordssavant when it comes to computers.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    cosmin you are occasionally guilty of sounding like a literate version of lordssavant when it comes to computers.
    to be fair to Cosmin, it sounds like he actually built his PC himself, which already puts him way ahead

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    We'll talk more when
    No we will not.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...t-to-do-things

This is the man you sound like. Now rethink everything about everything.

God I love that thread. It is the best thread.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

edit: rong thred
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; July 28 2018 at 12:16:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lp/in...?__ckdesktop=1

I7-8086K, Maximus X Hero, 16GB 4000MHz RAM, 240mm AIO, Intel 760p SSD + 100 worth of games - 899.99

HMM
    Approved, next please.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

if i ever need a giggle i read that thread

Quote Originally Posted by lords
    I can almost guarantee my time will be far too valuable to bother wasting on assembling a computer at that point

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Given the rate that your RAM is failing I wouldn't call anything you do "stable"

edit: I'm really kinda curious as to why you have an overclock, a 4930k and that RAM

Did you just google "most powerful PC 2013" and slam everything into your shopping basket? Or were you socket locked to LGA 1155? You're aware that DDR4 has been the norm for about 4 years now, right? Smartphones have been using it since 2015 or earlier.

you're acting like getting an overclock working with 16GB of RAM is somehow hard? most modern motherboards have a button that literally does that for you (if you trust them to not fuck it up)
    Sigh. More than 16GB RAM. It isn't easy. BTW that butan that literally does that stuff will pump too much voltage in your CPU, but ymmv.

I'm sorry I sound a bit over the top. When I got it I needed the most cores on a budget and per-clock capability and the Ivy-E was the obvious (only) choice. The RAM I bought off memoryc.com because you couldn't get it off Amazon, but warranty was with the manufacturer. There are a lot of rules for long-standing stable o/c at least for Ivy (e.g. RAM and VCC voltage so you don't fuck up your hardware), but the true challenge which I came across previously (ever since Athlon64 overclocking) was to make it stable with lots of RAM. The memory controller being in the CPU instead of the northbridge makes it harder to clock it higher. It was like that and it still appears to be (most recent I tried was 5960X, though, so I may be wrong).

Now what I noticed (may be also placebo) is that Xeon CPUs and "EE" CPUs (4930k is more of a semi EE CPU, comes with cores and HT but without the exagerrated price tag) are better in terms of clocking with higher amounts of RAM. Probably the binning Intel does, idk. But trust me when I say the samples that were tested were a bit more than anecdotal

Reason I've got it is I'm doing a lot of 3D stuff (models, animations) for my work (I do teaching at times) and my personal projects are also CPU/GPU intensive. The reason I actually got my video card was to at a time test GPU-computing related stuffs CUDA based, so... (had to be gud, but hold up in time for at least a couple years).

So yeah, there's your explanation. I'm sorry I sound over the top, but I've been doing this shit for close to 2 decades now and people who think it's "simple" don't really appreciate what goes on behind that one screenshot with "dis b stable".

Also, RAM failures every few years doesn't mean it's not stable. Especially when the hardware fails with an overclock that is actually beneath their stated speed (they're DDR2400 but I run them at DDR2133 for increased stability). Manufacturer has lifetime warranty. I don't understand why bash me when clearly the product is at fault (I have made sure there's plenty of air going to the RAM, btw, they're not cooking there).

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

I did, I'm sowwy

Well at least you have to be pretty happy with the current cpu market. More cores being pushed into mainstream/lower end and high end platforms with quad/octa memory channel cpu's are dropping in price. Even I could afford a quad channel system without morgaging the house these days.

Good things all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Well at least you have to be pretty happy with the current cpu market. More cores being pushed into mainstream/lower end and high end platforms with quad/octa memory channel cpu's are dropping in price. Even I could afford a quad channel system without morgaging the house these days.

Good things all around.
    Issue is that Intel is axing Hyperthreading on i7s, which is hilariously bad tbh. Most likely my next CPU will be a Ryzen, but at the moment my system is still holding up p. well.

But yeah, gud stuff nowadays. The Intel drip performance increases over the past few years made a lot of older systems hold up much better in time. 5 year system 10-15 years ago would be due for an upgrade asap, not so much today.

the i9 9900k looks pretty good imo.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga...card-3584-core

1080ti for 650 (well, 550 without VAT)

also includes step up program if the 1100s come out in september

All this talk of RAM and im about to purchase 1.2TB of it..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    All this talk of RAM and im about to purchase 1.2TB of it..
    Just remember to get a dual channel kit.

Check check. Monitor purchased. Got this https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6260...Gaming-Monitor

So far very happy. Uses the same panel as the Preditor and the Asus one but is a bit uglier and a bit cheaper. Once you turn off all the LEDs the ugly goes away though so it turns out its just a really nice panel. Next to no light bleed except in pitch black I can see just a little bit on the bottom right, but under normal (even low) light conditions you cant see it.

So... How do you tell if g-sync is working on a monitor that doesnt have an indicator for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.