hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 149 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4999139146147148149150151152 LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 3038

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Honestly, I wouldn't upgrade just yet. SC has massive performance issues, but they're not caused by your system but by the crap netcode. Arena commander works flawlessly on crappier systems, for example.

Keeping an older configuration helps with assessing how well they're doing with their optimizations IMHO.

Of course, if you need more performance overall for other stuffs, go for it (or if you really need to scratch that itch ). Thing is even 1080Ti is already an old card by all standards (released more than 1 year ago, however Pascal was released >2 years ago), so I'd wait for the new stuff to come out.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

Of course, if you need more performance overall for other stuffs, go for it (or if you really need to scratch that itch ). Thing is even 1080Ti is already an old card by all standards (released more than 1 year ago, however Pascal was released >2 years ago), so I'd wait for the new stuff to come out.

New nvidia stuff is rumored to be released/revealed in August so you're possibly looking at 2 months before you can snag one up.

AMD won't have anything new until next summer, and then only a mainstream part unless they release a 7nm Vega but those chips seems to be destined for other use than desktop so that's unlikely in the near future.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; July 11 2018 at 08:16:29 AM.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    New Nvidia stuff has been rumored "next month" all year.

Don't plan any purchases around it until it's released and waiting for the next best thing is a trap, if you have the money go with whatever you want from this gen (if you're extra paranoid then go with EVGA as they have a rank up guarantee)

There's a difference between Reddit rumours pulled out of a fanboys ass and rumours leaked from hardware dealers, memory deliveries and specs of said memory being published etc.

We're now seeing the latter.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    There's a difference between Reddit rumours pulled out of a fanboys ass and rumours leaked from hardware dealers, memory deliveries and specs of said memory being published etc.

We're now seeing the latter.
    like wccftech? huehuehue

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

New nvidia stuff is rumored to be released/revealed in August so you're possibly looking at 2 months before you can snag one up.

AMD won't have anything new until next summer, and then only a mainstream part unless they release a 7nm Vega but those chips seems to be destined for other use than desktop so that's unlikely in the near future.
    I read somewhere nVidia is stock building, and already got well over a million 1160 & 1180 cards ready for the launch.
    Granted most of these cards will be send to their partners for their modifications.

They want to avoid the supply issues from previous years which benefited AMD greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    go with EVGA as they have a rank up guarantee

What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    go with EVGA as they have a rank up guarantee

What is this?
    https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

TLR if a new product series comes out within 90 days of your purchase, you can send the item back, pay for the difference (if any) and EVGA will ship you the newer model.

Don't plan any purchases around it until it's released and waiting for the next best thing is a trap, if you have the money go with whatever you want from this gen (if you're extra paranoid then go with EVGA as they have a rank up guarantee)
    This is a good principle but having a 970 and a feeling that "I suppose it's time to upgrade" isn't exactly a compelling case for frantic urgency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

This is a good principle but having a 970 and a feeling that "I suppose it's time to upgrade" isn't exactly a compelling case for frantic urgency.
    Yeah fair, I'm eyeing up a 1080ti upgrade from my 1070 for 1440p, 1070 is struggling with certain titles

Yeah fair, I'm eyeing up a 1080ti upgrade from my 1070 for 1440p, 1070 is struggling with certain titles
    Would it make more sense for you to simply buy another 1070 and SLI it?

Help me hardware gurus..

I have my old XFX Radeon GPU (Tonga chip) that i was very satisfied with, but one of its cooler-fans broke down. Other one is also at the end of its life as it is making noise and is not very well centered. Playing games is out of the question, because GPU jumps to 100C in minutes, and performace tanks considerably, when not playing PC works fine.

So, time has come to change my graphics card. I need inexpensive solution, because im still short on money, performance can stay same-ish (well a bit better wouldn't hurt, but cheap is the requirement). Price in my gipsy country for mid-range GPUs is around 200€. Plz help.

Tl;Dr: GPU for around 200€, with best bang for the buck, today

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

SLI really isn't worth the headache now, Nvidia have been trying to drop it for years and it's just janky af (and not all games even scale over 2 GPUs properly)

Performance with 2x1070 is roughly on par with a single 1080ti when SLI is working perfectly, but that's a pipe dream for a lot of games (also I can sell my existing 1070 for 400 vs the 650 cost of 1080ti here)
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; July 13 2018 at 07:00:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

SLI really isn't worth the headache now, Nvidia have been trying to drop it for years and it's just janky af (and not all games even scale over 2 GPUs properly)

Performance with 2x1070 is roughly on par with a single 1080ti when SLI is working perfectly, but that's a pipe dream for a lot of games (also I can sell my existing 1070 for 400 vs the 650 cost of 1080ti here)
    Ah i figured the 1070 was cheaper than that, but yeah if you can get 400 for it definite get a 1080ti, absolutely love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    Help me hardware gurus..

I have my old XFX Radeon GPU (Tonga chip) that i was very satisfied with, but one of its cooler-fans broke down. Other one is also at the end of its life as it is making noise and is not very well centered. Playing games is out of the question, because GPU jumps to 100C in minutes, and performace tanks considerably, when not playing PC works fine.

So, time has come to change my graphics card. I need inexpensive solution, because im still short on money, performance can stay same-ish (well a bit better wouldn't hurt, but cheap is the requirement). Price in my gipsy country for mid-range GPUs is around 200€. Plz help.

Honestly there's no harm in trying to jerryrig a casefan onto the gpu heatsink if you're considering to replace it anyway. Remove/cut out some of the shrouding to get a snug close fit with unimpeded airflow, use some zip ties and see how it goes.

Unless you're thinking of pawning it off to some unwitting fool of course, then you should leave it untouched.

I remember buying a Strix 1070 for roughly 300ish new from Maplin some 1.5+ years ago, wtf is that used sell price lel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Help me hardware gurus..

Honestly there's no harm in trying to jerryrig a casefan onto the gpu heatsink if you're considering to replace it anyway. Remove/cut out some of the shrouding to get a snug close fit with unimpeded airflow, use some zip ties and see how it goes.

Unless you're thinking of pawning it off to some unwitting fool of course, then you should leave it untouched.
    Im not repairing it myself so ill just bite the bullet and get a new one.

Any suggestions for best buy in that price range?

GPU for around 200€, with best bang for the buck

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12050/best-video-cards

Or wait for an update now it's been 3 months and AFAIK prices are recovering after the coin-mining crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Maybe get an aftermarket cooler? I used this one: https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html and it is easy to install and very efficient and quiet (best I have ever had on a graphics card - and I usually pay extra for a model with better cooling).

Im not repairing it myself so ill just bite the bullet and get a new one.

Any suggestions for best buy in that price range?

GPU for around 200, with best bang for the buck

It's hardly repairing, just a few zip ties. I don't mean to badger you about it m8 it's just that for 200 there isn't a good bang for the buck card that will perform better than a 390, maybe not even a 380.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0w6nHIXz7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQHAMz1v5g