hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 210 of 211 FirstFirst ... 110160200207208209210211 LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,200 of 4219

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

You say that, and your post is entirely reasonable, but the hype from some people even in this thread is edging on the ridiculous.

I'd be damn fucking glad to see my cynicism be entirely off though. The numbers do look promising af between the leaks and the consoles.

Another thing I worry about is how is Raytracing gonna work out with them and if Nvidia is gonna do some weird ass shenanigans with games that support rtx now. Anyone knows if anything is known about that?
    Last edited by Isyel; October 15 2020 at 10:18:12 AM.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    I'm more interested in that architecture-agnostic raytracing API that Crytek was working on.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

I just want a good 1440p card TBH.
    I don't give a flying fuck about 4k because as far as I'm concerned, native 4k is still ultra high end and not worth the money.
    I have no interest in spending a grand or more on a "small" 4k monitor, and even less interest in gaming on my TV (which is also not 4k).

If a 3090 is the 4k behemoth at the moment, then true 4k gaming for "mainstream" is still another generation or two away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Prom is right and you're dumb.
    Latest Video - The Inner Zone
    YouTube - LiveStream

Bruh the 3090 brings "8K gaming" here today...

I really don't get why they thought to try jump to 4x-the-pixel-res as the next thing, again. Nothing but an embarassing push of their current upscaling deadend solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Bruh the 3090 brings "8K gaming" here today...

I really don't get why they thought to try jump to 4x-the-pixel-res as the next thing, again. Nothing but an embarassing push of their current upscaling deadend solution.
    Part of the problem is that the devlopment of monitors and TVs is way ahead of GPUs. Nanufactureres need to sell the new stuff. 8K isn't really out there at the moment apart from a few very pricey items, but it will probably be here well before we have a GPU that can truly support it. The first 4K monitors appeared in 2013/2014? And we're just now getting cards that can run > 60 FPS with high/ultra settings.

1440p feels like enough pixels to me, tbh. 4k might be prettier or something but when I'm sat 50-70cm back from the screen anyway, I find it hard to see the pixels as it is.

EDIT: I hear good things about 144hz though, and I can see that making a difference.
    Last edited by Malcanis; October 17 2020 at 01:18:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Technically resolution has no bearing on ease to see, but we can all assume you mean a fairly regular DPI, some <28" monitor. I agree that <=1440p while <=24" is a very reasonable limit, and would love to have full array local dimming/microLED/OLED be affordable with IPS colour at 90+Hz. Given that such things are taking their sweet time, I think GPU theoretical performance is doing fine.

It's just game devs that need to fully leverage the latest GPGPU tech such as async scheduling, and assume NVMe storage.

So Nvidia are apparently going back to TSMC anyway, cap in hand, please sir may we have some 7nm wafers after all
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Technically resolution has no bearing on ease to see
    Can you elaborate on your thinking here? The difference in DPI between a 4K monitor and a 1440P monitor at the same viewing distance (with the same display size) is pretty significant, so I assume you mean something else? Autism aisde, I'm fairly certain most people who go with 4K, either for gaming or TV go by the logic "4K is better so I must have it" or "4K looks shiiiiny", rather than going "Hm, I can see the individual pixels, I had better upgrade".

I disagree on the need for tech; while it's not mainstream, the technology you mention is there. It's just very expensive, but so is the GPUs that will power such monitors. And at present, you can buy a 144 HZ IPS FALD monitor (the Predator X27 for one), but no GPU currently in existence will push recent graphic heavy AAA-games at 144 FPS in 4K with high/ultra settings. At ultra, not even the 3090 pushes them at > 100 FPS. Agreeably, the "need" is very niche; both for the GPUs and the monitors. I'm not sold on 4K; I rather prefer UWD for both gaming and productivity, but that's also GPU intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Technically resolution has no bearing on ease to see, ...
    Can you elaborate on your thinking here? The difference in DPI between a 4K monitor and a 1440P monitor at the same viewing distance (with the same display size) is pretty significant, so I assume you mean something else?
    ... but we can all assume you mean a fairly regular DPI, some <28" monitor.
    Try finishing the sentence before parroting
    Autism
    next time

Well, unlike most discussion here, I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I'll rephrase, are you refering to pixel density or pixel dimension when you use the term "resolution"?

The reason I asked is that in the latter half of your sentence, you are refering to pixel density. Now, we can have a "fairly regupar DPI and some <28" monitor", but if we change the pixel dimensions (what is commonly referred to as resolution), the pixel density will change. The "ease to see" will be rather different if you change the resolution and leave the other parameters the same. Thus it was a honest question how you defined "ease to see" and "resolution". But by all means, make fun of me instead of answering my question, it's pretty easy to interpret that at least.

I don't think you quite appreciate either the length or girth of daneel's nerd-cock

That's why he needs to keep waving it around

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I don't think you quite appreciate either the length or girth of daneel's nerd-cock

Iím sure we can measure this forum in dicks per inches..

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

Iím sure we can measure this forum in dicks per inches..
    Can't measure infinity though!

Jeez, I was just trying to say you can't talk display resolution alone. As in the count of pixels in a 2D array, uncoupled from a specific display size and thus DPI. Or distance and the relationship of point-blank DPI to filled arc-seconds of FOV.
    1080p at a usual desktop ~1-2' distance and ~26" is going to look better than "4K" 2160p on a display more than twice the size in both dimensions but about the same distance away (and fill rather more of your vision).
    The same as 720p on your phone at arms length is going to look better/more 'photo'-realistic/easier on the eyes, but fill far less of your field of view.

P.S.
    But by all means, make fun of me
    Sorry who starting slinging terms like 'autist' around first?!

What Video Card Should I Buy?

Overspark: Touchť!

Daniel: Iím sorry it wasnít clearer, but the autism comment was meant towards my question, not your post. I was engaged in a fairly autistic and heated debate on this subject with Razor a month or two ago.
    Last edited by morpheps; October 17 2020 at 10:28:17 PM.

Jeez, I was just trying to say you can't talk display resolution alone. As in the count of pixels in a 2D array, uncoupled from a specific display size and thus DPI. Or distance and the relationship of point-blank DPI to filled arc-seconds of FOV.
    1080p at a usual desktop ~1-2' distance and ~26" is going to look better than "4K" 2160p on a display more than twice the size in both dimensions but about the same distance away (and fill rather more of your vision).
    The same as 720p on your phone at arms length is going to look better/more 'photo'-realistic/easier on the eyes, but fill far less of your field of view.
    Yes, you are correct. However, pretty much nobody into gaming etc. these days will buy a 20 inch or sth so most monitors people are talking about are in the mid to high 20s and it's sort of assumed that's what everyone is talking about res wise. If not it's mentioned (either smaller or larger, or specific needs) etc.

If you need an explanation as to why you're being mocked.

I literally set up the obvious point to quibble ("technically") and then addressed and dismissed it in the second half.

but we can all assume you mean a fairly regular DPI, some <28" monitor.

Or can we indeed.

P.S. morpheps, it reads like you got what I mean by resolution first time, and why it wasn't an important side-topic to get in to.
    I guess I was short with you as I'm bored of still reading the cheap, vague usage of 'autism' in every Eve-related thing.

Isyel, why does everything seem to be adversarial with you? This is just some little text forum we're skimming and casually discussing in, text being what it is sometimes we talk past each other or miss nuances like sarcasm. I don't think there even was any mocking??
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 17 2020 at 10:53:27 PM.

oh god

I agree that display resolution (1440p or 4K or what have you) alone doesnít make that much sense alone. My point was that all other parameters being equal, changing the resolution changes the experience. But I think we pretty much agree.

And fair point on the autism usage. Itís easily misunderstood as it can sometimes be a badge of honor (at least with me) and sometimes the opposite.