hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132139140141142
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 2840

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

And still just a handful of monitors with input lag similar to a CRT TV :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    a good post with lots of detail
    Im excited by all this but i am budget concerned, and also have Nvidia card so RIP no gsync budget for me. Will probably look at AMD next time round for the cheaper freesync. Once you add the fancy stuff together monitors get silly expensive.

Dont see a solid standard HDR experience coming to PC any time soon. There is problems with windows 10 displaying HDR apparently. Fucks up when switching between non HDR and HDR content. Didn't Half Life 2: Lost coast introduce HDR like a decade ago?

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    And still just a handful of monitors with input lag similar to a CRT TV :'(
    Like on that time i ran with you, i was a similar.

I think Valve in part simulate(d) HDR with the Source engine so that color brightness appeared higher than what it objectively was on the display and in part bundled some other color-related features under the term although they are not related to HDR.

Some more info on "Valve HDR" here:
    https://arstechnica.com/features/2005/09/lostcoast/

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Yeah HDR is really an umbrella term meaning a lot of different things. The general thread is to attempt to show more relevant shades of colour/brightness than you usually get working in a traditional way. This can be accomplished at the source end (rendering in larger colour spaces before condensing it down and outputting) or at the display end (accepting larger colour spaces and having the brightness to properly display them). HDR monitors are naturally talking about the display end. HDR photography is something else again, vaguely comparable to doing HDR at the source end.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Didn't Half Life 2: Lost coast introduce HDR like a decade ago?
    Yes and no.
    High-dynamic-range imaging (HDRI) is the compositing and tone-mapping of images to extend the dynamic range beyond the native capability of the capturing device.[1][2]

High-dynamic-range video (HDR video) is greater than standard dynamic range (SDR) video which uses a conventional gamma curve.[3]

High-dynamic-range rendering (HDRR) is the real-time rendering and display of virtual environments using a dynamic range of 65,535:1 or higher (used in computer, gaming, and entertainment technology).[4]
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Just ordered https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigab...gx-188-gi.html

Feels good not having to pay VAT tbh

(went for this one because it's the cheapest non-itx 1070 and they all overclock to roughly the same point anyway)

It is a bit weird that my 1070 is now 100 pound more expensive than when I bought it.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    It is a bit weird that my 1070 is now 100 pound more expensive than when I bought it.
    miners REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Miners and brexit tbh

(also the GTX 1070 is now awful from a price/performance standpoint)
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Miners and brexit tbh

Why is that? They're about 33% more expensive than the 1060's (which aren't in stock anyway) and about the same price as the RX 56 (which is in stock but only with reference design cards, so meh.)

Miners and brexit tbh

uwot

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Miners and brexit tbh

Why is that? They're about 33% more expensive than the 1060's (which aren't in stock anyway) and about the same price as the RX 56 (which is in stock but only with reference design cards, so meh.)
    Looking at it from the other end, a GTX 1080 can be had for around 50 more (or around 11% more) and performs around 20-25% better. Hell even 100 still leaves you doing pretty well in a price/performance way.

It's not like the GTX 1070 is a bad card, because it's really not, it's just that prices are all fucked because various reasons.

I remember the last gen when x70s were 250-300 and x80s were 350-400. That made so much more sense.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

If that's the case I see where you're coming from. I'm seeing 25% differences in the Swedish shops which felt a nit more significant.

Anyhoo... An interesting tidbit I picked up "somewhere", Vega apparantly already have infinity fabric tech in it.

Donor
    Looking at it from the other end, a GTX 1080 can be had for around 50 more (or around 11% more) and performs around 20-25% better. Hell even 100 still leaves you doing pretty well in a price/performance way.
    Given how volatile prices are now I think the 1070's value proposition changes almost day to day. When I bought my 1070 a few weeks back I paid 350 for it and 1080s were selling for 480+, and I just didn't see how the 1080 was worth another 130. Right now the gap is around 100 at most retailers, which is still a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax
    Anyhoo... An interesting tidbit I picked up "somewhere", Vega apparantly already have infinity fabric tech in it.
    Yes, it does. There isn't much use for it in desktop Vega (outside possibly some large GPU compute installations) but the upcoming Raven Ridge APU uses Infinity Fabric to tie the Zen cores and Vega iGPU together.

I'm waiting for some of those AIB V56/64 cards tbh.
    A significant performance jump and quieter card than my Nano would be a nice upgrade.

Too bad Canadian pricing is fucking bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Prom is right and you're dumb.
    Latest Video - The Inner Zone
    YouTube - LiveStream

Got myself a 970 for 130 today \o/

1050 erryday, fuck the haters

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Picked up another RX 560 for cheaper than the last one. Heck, at these prices, it might be worth buying more for crypto.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

1070 installed, solid performance in everything I throw at it on 2560x1080, PUBG is actually playable for me now

A++ satisfied customer