hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 147 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4797137144145146147148 LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 2950

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Btw, a new reason why people shouldn't put too much stock in Steam hardware survey: chinese cyber cafes were doing something (using VMs?) to cause miscounting of language, OS and hardware popularity. AMD gains 4+4% swing in a month from this fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    What's the point though

Well if we just look at the cpu side of things after some quick googling AMD has appeared to be losing market share for the last six months or so which to me seems really weird given the hype/performance/stock situation at various vendors. Not to mention that AMD actually posted some pretty strong financial results.

The huge jump in marketshare in the steam survey isn't a huge jump. Instead AMD has steadily been taking marketshare in 2017 which was temporarily suppressed by Valves software not detecting all those chinese cyber cafe's running VMware for that PubG craze that exploded last year over there.

Not sure it's very important though. I mean it might be accurate statistics of Steam users but I'm uncertain of how accurate it is to the actual PC market share.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; May 4 2018 at 08:49:01 PM.

The point is a heck of a lot of game devs use the Steam Hardware Survey to know what to target for hitting certain %s of potential players w.r.t. features and/or quality levels. If they didn't think there was as much decent multicore support, or Vulkan enabled OSs, they might delay leveraging such features for another expansion/version/game, and bias their implementations towards certain GPU families (which becomes something of a positive feedback loop, or at least nVidia & Intel have always tried to make it so).

Prices actually seem to be coming down. Saw a 1070ti for less than 400!

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Prices actually seem to be coming down. Saw a 1070ti for less than a kidney!
    russian edition

Tried that Geforce NOW beta, pretty good!

Tried WoT which is ping dependent and it was easily tolerable. If anything just to try the ultra graphics.

It's free atm for beta, no idea what it is going to cost when released.... maybe 10 a month?

I think this video card thingie will slowly turn into "preorder or you're screwed until the next generation cards are here". Like truly next gen, not revisions with +few GB.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I think this video card thingie will slowly turn into "preorder or you're screwed until the next generation cards are here". Like truly next gen, not revisions with +few GB.
    Nvidia have come out and said that the 1100 series isn't coming "for a long while" so expect to see 1080/1080ti series cards approaching MSRP soon

Didn't want to start a new thread for this and this is the closest for the hardware.

I'm looking for a new monitor! My choices are limited by whats available (lolstraia) and I've pretty much come down to 3 choices. Happy to take other advice but again, I'm limited in what I can and cant get, plus the pricing here is really odd sometimes so a 'super cheap' monitor for you guys might be super expensive here.

Firstly, im coming from an older 24" 60Hz TN panel. Its a cheap Asus something. It's not even LED, its just an old LCD panel, and as such not got great colour or brightness. I actually have a second slightly smaller monitor (22") LED monitor next to it and I can see the colours are much brighter and its generally a better monitor, but being smaller its not so great for gaming.. My requirements for this new monitor are it has to have a nice bright colour, 120Hz minimum, g-sync is preferred, 24" minimum but preferably bigger because my eyes are getting old. It also cant cost a million dollars or I would already have a better monitor.

Candidate 1: Acer Predator XB241H 24"
    Pros : 144Hz. G-Sync. 'Cheap'
    Cons: Still only 24". Its a TN panel (although reviews says its a very good TN panel).

Candidate 2: Acer Predator XB271HUA 27"
    Pros: 144Hz. G-Sync. 27"
    Cons: Still only a TN panel. 1440p (I'm counting this as a con because I only have a GTX970 so driving this will be tough). Cost.

Candidate 3: Acer Predator XB272 27" (are you seeing a trend here?)
    Pros: 240Hz. G-Sync. 27"
    Cons: TN Panel. Cost.

My other options are really AOC but I don't really know them as a brand and while they review well, there are some horror stories about warranty claims. As I'm looking at spending upwards of $500 (again, lolstralia) I really want it to just work and if ti doesnt, it just get fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

If what you really want is better colors I would recommend buying something with a better panel type instead of going for refresh rate and synchronisation, e.g. a Dell U2412M.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    If what you really want is better colors I would recommend buying something with a better panel type instead of going for refresh rate and synchronisation, e.g. a Dell U2412M.
    What I really want is no blur in games.. Hence the high refresh and g-sync.. Better colours is subjective as my almost 15 year old TN panel isnt the best..

Are you playing some FPS game where >60Hz is a metaphor for minimal input lag, to perform actions as fast as the pros on drugs? While your 'eyes are getting old'?
    Do you have the CPU and GPU (and low latency internet, given lolstralia) to match driving that game at the native res & high Hz of your proposed panels?

P.S. Have you experienced a calibrated IPS/non-TN before?
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; June 7 2018 at 09:51:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    What I really want is no blur in games.. Hence the high refresh and g-sync.. Better colours is subjective as my almost 15 year old TN panel isnt the best..
    You are of course right - if your current display is basically black and white, anything else will look relatively much better in terms of colours. Asus ROG Swift PG248Q might be an additional option. I assume you have checked at a friend's place or a friendly shop whether high refresh rate and g-sync are relevant for you - if not, I would recommend you do.

Just go for the XB271HU

27" 1440p 144hz IPS, mine arrived last week and I'm in love

I recently was in a similar analysis paralysis situation. I wanted a new monitor and couldn't see myself buying one that cost almost as much as I paid for my new gaming system so IPS was right out. I wanted G-Sync, 27", 1440p and at least 144hz. I finally settled on a Dell S2716DGR which I was able to grab brand new for $350 USbux on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    I recently was in a similar analysis paralysis situation. I wanted a new monitor and couldn't see myself buying one that cost almost as much as I paid for my new gaming system so IPS was right out. I wanted G-Sync, 27", 1440p and at least 144hz. I finally settled on a Dell S2716DGR which I was able to grab brand new for $350 USbux on sale.
    S2716DGR is 1000 au fun bux... Same problem with the ips panels..

300GBP is $530AUD. Should be able to get a nice Dell IPS for that, if it's suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Do you have the CPU and GPU (and low latency internet, given lolstralia) to match driving that game at the native res & high Hz of your proposed panels?
    Would a medicore PC or playing high end games not benefit the most from a good "gaming" Monitor with *-sync? Because it still looks decent even when it drops below native refresh rate.

I got three good Dell U2715H without all that jazz, plane 60hz and no *sync. Was the right decision at the time, but I think nowdays I would go for either or both high refresh and *sync. Not for a benefit in competitive gaming, but for the smoothness.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    300GBP is $530AUD. Should be able to get a nice Dell IPS for that, if it's suitable.
    It doesn't work like that though.. Immediately add 20% minimum to all computer hardware in stralia. Add in to that Dell Australia are cunts and frequently don't sell the same gear here and you get the nightmare I live in..