hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 172 of 179 FirstFirst ... 72122162169170171172173174175 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 3571

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

As long as they used the same system in the same comparison I can't give a fuck either way.

Radion 7 is vega at 7nm right?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    As long as they used the same system in the same comparison I can't give a fuck either way.

And some hardware tweaks. Seems like the first Vega was rushed with some features not fullt functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

And some hardware tweaks. Seems like the first Vega was rushed with some features not fullt functional.
    7nm + a whole lotta more power used to match the 2080 in performance.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

I think I remember reading somewhere that it'll use the same amount of power as a Vega 64. And that's before the inevitable undervolting.

That said while I appreciate the effort to mangle a computation chip on a smaller process into a new overpriced high-end competitor I'll wait for the actual gaming cards in the mid-range to come out later this year.

Although with nvidia seeming to support freesync now upgrading to a green card is an option again if/when they release decend mid-range cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post

I think I remember reading somewhere that it'll use the same amount of power as a Vega 64. And that's before the inevitable undervolting.

That said while I appreciate the effort to mangle a computation chip on a smaller process into a new overpriced high-end competitor I'll wait for the actual gaming cards in the mid-range to come out later this year.

Although with nvidia seeming to support freesync now upgrading to a green card is an option again if/when they release decend mid-range cards.
    vega 56 and 64 do just fine as it is though, dont see what the extreme negativity is about beyond usual memes

yeah they were disappointing when they came out for a variety of reasons but theyre competitive just fine, so there is hardly anything wrong with a better refined one surely

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post

vega 56 and 64 do just fine as it is though, dont see what the extreme negativity is about beyond usual memes

yeah they were disappointing when they came out for a variety of reasons but theyre competitive just fine, so there is hardly anything wrong with a better refined one surely
    With the die shrink there is a very good chance it'll run faster and cooler than the 2080, just without the raytracing stuff..

Yup. Hoping they do a solid one on this.

Comments from CES has it at the same power as old Vega. Not sure which one though but assume just below 300w as a worst case scenario.

Comments from CES has it at the same power as old Vega. Not sure which one though but assume just below 300w as a worst case scenario.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e9sFaBKSi4

Sorry don't know how to youtube it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkening View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e9sFaBKSi4

Sorry don't know how to youtube it.
    remove the s from https, then the video tag works
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

"At its CES 2019 press conference, AMD announced the Radeon VII would be launching on 7 February 2019 for a retail price of US$699." 16GB HBM2 memory.. Supposedly the 'same' speed as a 2080... Guessing we will get the actual reviews in the next 3 or 4 weeks then.

If it's about the same speed as a 2080 for the middle price of the 2080 its going to at least stop nvidia from making even more expensive cards.

I'm just a bit pissed off because I finally bought a gsync monitor and now AMD is looking like it might be competitive again and nvidia is going to start supporting free sync..
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; January 12 2019 at 07:59:58 AM.

If it's about the same speed as a 2080 for the middle price of the 2080 its going to at least stop nvidia from making even more expensive cards.
    No it won't.

I also wouldn't dwell on the NVIDIA supporting freesync and similar, the GSync monitors have a chip inside that whilst overpriced af it still delivers. Freesync monitors will be subjected to intense scrutiny and I sincerely doubt you'll see more than a few models being approved to work as GSync.

I also wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over AMD being competitive again on the GFX card market until I see some benchmarks. The 2080 is shit as a card per se, the 1080Ti is faster in a lot of stuff and 4k monitors aren't as ubiquitous as NVIDIA would let you believe (nevermind the retarded scaling of Windows on resolutions >1440p).

Patience is key imho. I just want a new Titan card at a decent price (read: not >800 quid). I can wait for the moment
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

While this card is a significant improvement over previous generation and gaining in on nVidia.
    It will still be years before they can compete for #1 spot.

Agreed. This new Vega release are just instinct cards that didn't make the cut so you might as well use them for something. Since nVidia seems reluctant on releasing a 7nm card in 2019, AMD was handed a freebie when it comes to performance so AMD had better execute their roadmap if they want to keep up once nVidia hits 7nm.

But the meat and potatoes are the 200-300$ cards* and atm that segment is basically the same as it was 2 years ago. Navi can't come soon enough.

*No idea if that's actually true, it's the sort of thing everyone says. STEAM survey says; more than 25% installed base is 1060's and 1050's.

Never with how painful the fanbois are unless nvidia just entirely collapses under its own bs (which won't happen).

It literally doesn't matter even if they come out on top, or if they control most segments bar the top, or anything. The tribal stupidity is too strong, coupled with nvidia worming its proprietary ways into a lot of game development it's just unavoidable.

See people finding every excuse in the universe as to why amd cards today are worse, bad, unstable, whatever when it's anything but true. Literally all nvidia does is dangle the shiny top end dick in front of people and no matter how dumb it is and how much theyre never going to even come close to affording it they're going to wank themselves to sleep over it. Meh.

"I had some unstability problems 10 years ago in a linux system, amd are shit" near literal quote for example.
    Last edited by Isyel; January 12 2019 at 11:51:59 AM.

Well, Nvidia might be alright (or have the better cards even) for the high end, and upper mainstream (I guess its fair to call the 350 2060 that, no?) … but for the actual medium build mainstream AMD currently should own the field , no ?

Even if the lastest RX590 doesn't makes terribly much sense at its 250+ the 580 and 570 are currently awesome value for the buck (you get them here from 170 or 200 € respectively atm, with 8GB RAM no less ;P). And even a 570 is peachy if you just run 1080p, a 580 is great for 1080p and even can cope with 1440p on medium (to high on older stuff) settings still.
    I really don't get why anybody would currently still buy a 1060 for slightly more ...

for 1440p the 2060 and Vega 56 both seem ok. The latter obviously is a bit more power hungry .. but right now price wise pretty enticing too. Saw several offers for the Vega 56 in the 320-350 range recently. The 2060 probably will end up around 350+ ish too. For now the 1070ti still is available too, but will be gone pretty fast once the 2060 rolls out I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

Freesync monitors will be subjected to intense scrutiny and I sincerely doubt you'll see more than a few models being approved to work as GSync.
    That's not how it's going to work. Approved models will have freesync support enabled by default, but it can be enabled on any freesync monitor through the driver settings.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

"I had some unstability problems 10 years ago in a linux system, amd are shit" near literal quote for example.
    I don't want to yank your chain or anything, but literally my last AMD experience (with a 7970 when it was all the rage) was install card then encounter countless BSODs every time the control panel was installed (not the driver, mind you). Card was freaking out and I could not be arsed to reinstall the system (comes with paying 400 quid+ for a computer component). Yes, it most likely probably would have worked with a clean Windows install, but then I found out I need mini DP to DP/DVI active adapters - 25 quid a pop, two - and I just did not have the time and patience to figure it out after being out 400 quid. I then got a 680 and it worked straight away.

Yes, laziness etc yada yada, but if enough customers encounter the same issue and enough of them can't be arsed to reinstall Windows to get their card working, then you get this urban myth reinforced and people will steer clear of the product. AMD are notorious for drivers issues and this has always been the case - I agree, a lot less frequent issues lately, but they are not helping themselves. Remember AMD Crimson drivers? Here, let me refresh that for you:

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

Freesync monitors will be subjected to intense scrutiny and I sincerely doubt you'll see more than a few models being approved to work as GSync.
    That's not how it's going to work. Approved models will have freesync support enabled by default, but it can be enabled on any freesync monitor through the driver settings.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I'm curious how many approved models there will be. Colour me surprised one year from now if it's more than 10 and if more than one of those is actually decent.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Donor
    Yes, laziness etc yada yada, but if enough customers encounter the same issue and enough of them can't be arsed to reinstall Windows to get their card working, then you get this urban myth reinforced and people will steer clear of the product. AMD are notorious for drivers issues and this has always been the case - I agree, a lot less frequent issues lately, but they are not helping themselves.
    AMD has less stability issues than NVidia these days, and I'm not relying on anecdotal evidence saying that. One section of the company I work for builds PCs with mid and high-end GPUs in them to sell to our clients, mostly for video and imaging work (but for damn sure they get used for gaming a ton - we do get calls about games not working, and amazingly the support contract explicitly says we will try to help with that; one of our bigger clients is a wholesaler who's Ebay sales team rang up and asked for help because Fortnite started causing crashes on some of their machines, and apparently they play it a lot at lunchtimes...)

When the crypto mining surge forced us to switch from AMD cards to NVidia there was a noticeable increase in support requests related to GPU driver issues, particularly for multi-monitor systems. We're back on AMD in all but the most high end PCs, I expect the R7 will change that if availability is good.

Granted this is only a four-digit sample size, but it's a bit more valid than "my Radeon crashed, AMD suxxxx".

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    I don't want to yank your chain or anything, but literally my last AMD experience (with a 7970 when it was all the rage) was install card then encounter countless BSODs every time the control panel was installed (not the driver, mind you). Card was freaking out and I could not be arsed to reinstall the system (comes with paying 400 quid+ for a computer component). Yes, it most likely probably would have worked with a clean Windows install, but then I found out I need mini DP to DP/DVI active adapters - 25 quid a pop, two - and I just did not have the time and patience to figure it out after being out 400 quid. I then got a 680 and it worked straight away.
    It does seem like you have a lot of weird computer issues.

I have a 7950 still, It's still on the same windows install from 2012. Was win7 upgraded to win10 and has been on both slow and fast ring, and I've never had a issue with the graphics drivers.

Your anecdotal experience is super dubious TBH.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot