hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 137 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3787127134135136137138139140 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 2840

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    FeelsGoodMan that i got my vive off my hands before this Rift price crash.
    Rift price crash?
    He means that the OCR is currently on sale

So many questions regarding VR as I haven't bothered to inform myself due to the price. The pricedrop makes it interesting.

How's the compatiblity beteween the main players? Are there Rift/vive only games? Roomscale, I take that's with you actually walking around and not just sitting in front of the computer. Is it just a gimmick or is it a cool feature that game developers have begun taking advantage of?

Roomscale is a great tech but I honestly couldn't tell you if people have been taking advantage of it. It also relies on you having a fairly large space in your home you don't mind being used exclusively for it, but does increase immersion a fair bit.

There are some cross-compatibility issues with the two headsets and not all games are compatible with both - Oculus won't let Vive users play games developed for Rift, Rift users can play most of everything but Rift doesn't do Roomscale so that does throw out some curveballs. Both companies have a vested interest in keeping you locked into their ecosystem - for more info see here
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Smuggo
    Tempting though it is at that price think I'll still hold off. After the initial hype I've not seen much to make me think this incarnation of VR has legs.

Donor
    I was of the same frame of mind, tbh, not really convinced that the current VR tech is fully baked. But I caved and bought a Rift on Thursday, mostly because I'm tired of messing about with wonky head-tracking in Elite Dangerous.

After a couple of days playing with it, my opinion hasn't changed. The Rift (and I'd assume the Vive too, since it's so similar) is not ready for prime time. The glossy packaging and slick software can't hide the fact that it feels like a prototype that escaped from engineering. The headset is bulky and a hassle to put on, there's cables everywhere, intricate setting up is needed, the screen res makes everything seem a bit fuzzy and soft, and you need a good PC to drive it.

But it's like having a prototype starship. The very fact that it exists and mostly works is stunning.

I'm a total convert now, and absolutely get why Facebook bought Oculus. In a few years, once they work the kinks out, VR will be everywhere.

So, cryptomining prices dropped, and now a bunch of these cards are hitting ebay. So if you were thinking of holding off on a purchase, you might not have to wait as long as you thought.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    So, cryptomining prices dropped, and now a bunch of these cards are hitting ebay. So if you were thinking of holding off on a purchase, you might not have to wait as long as you thought.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Be wary of people being autistic about buying used PC components. Most of them will be in fine shape

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

VEGA

http://www.techradar.com/news/amd-sh...its-final-form
    http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-vega-64-p...99-liquid-599/

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Air: $499
    AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Air Limited Edition: $549
    AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid : $599
    AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid Limited Edition : $649 [UPDATED $649/$699]
    AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 : Pending [UPDATED $399]
    Last edited by Nordstern; July 31 2017 at 05:08:52 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    So probably roughly similar to an 1080 for slightly less money? Nothing to sneeze at, but not groundbreaking either.

Donor
    Can't say I'm that impressed by the Vega lineup, everything is at least $100 too expensive. Vega 56 looks like the only one with any value, provided it's a typical AMD cut-down card and doesn't give away much performance over the fully enabled version.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    So probably roughly similar to an 1080 for slightly less money? Nothing to sneeze at, but not groundbreaking either.
    And more power consumption.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Basically it seems stock 1080 is still better than stock air cooled Vega top and roughly the same as the watercooled (?o/c) Vega. Which is p. awful, the Vega seems like an electricity hog
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Donor
    The RX cards should draw less power in at least some games due to the tile-based rasterizer, which wasn't enabled in the Vega FE drivers.

What also remains to be seen is how adoption of packed FP16 goes. That could give Vega a very sizeable boost in any games that can use it, since it can almost double shader throughput. Apparently Doom is getting FP16 support, as is Wolfenstein 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see community patches for some older games, too.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    everything is at least $100 too expensive
    Well if miners stop meddling with things that's probably something that'll easily correct itself in a couple of months.

Edit: oh god, given how hard they're creaming over the current RX cards these Vega cards must be absolute gold to them, especially the 56 model.

AMD do always seem to do really well at driver optimisations so we'll see how that pans out.

If they can keep power consumption down it'll be an interesting time, but nothing to compete at the halo end. The 295W TDP on Vega 64 doesn't leave me with a lot of hope.

everything is at least $100 too expensive

Donor
    Edit: oh god, given how hard they're creaming over the current RX cards these Vega cards must be absolute gold to them, especially the 56 model.
    I can't see Vega being popular with miners. Vega FE had horrible mining efficiency, and even with some power tweaks all the Vega RX cards, except perhaps the Nano, are likely to make little or no profit at current price and difficulty levels. Only miners who have cheap electricity and are prepared to bet the farm on a steep rise in coin prices will even look at Vega, and even then it's likely the 1070 and 1080 will remain much more popular due to their low power consumption.

My guess is AMD have gone with high prices for Vega simply because they don't have many to sell. The Vega/HBM2 package is hideously complex to build and I'm pretty sure AMD is much more interested in using its production allocation at GloFo to build Ryzens, which are way more profitable than any GPU and critical to AMD's survival.

The RX cards should draw less power in at least some games due to the tile-based rasterizer, which wasn't enabled in the Vega FE drivers.

What also remains to be seen is how adoption of packed FP16 goes. That could give Vega a very sizeable boost in any games that can use it, since it can almost double shader throughput. Apparently Doom is getting FP16 support, as is Wolfenstein 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see community patches for some older games, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    AMD do always seem to do really well at driver optimisations so we'll see how that pans out.

If they can keep power consumption down it'll be an interesting time, but nothing to compete at the halo end. The 295W TDP on Vega 64 doesn't leave me with a lot of hope.
    Basically this, I don't think "they'll optimise stuff and then it'll be gud". Depending on software developers to implement stuff after the game is out is always a gamble, not everybody is ID to put in Vulkan support in after the game is out. Either the tool is good or the tool needs adjustments to work just as good as another tool - the latter doesn't make Vega desirable since the baseline is not so good
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Vega vs 1080Ti: Completely unscientific gameplay testing by HardOcp but still an interesting way of doing things.