hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 187 of 187 FirstFirst ... 87137177184185186187
Results 3,721 to 3,736 of 3736

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Zen 2 on an X470 mobo? Hmmmm.
    Sure, why not? PCIE4 is not going to make a difference for my gaming rig and Zen 2 is rated to work from b350's and up even with dinky 4 phase vrm's. The Asus boards vrm that I'm using can push 360 amps so overclocking should be doable nevermind stock operation.

PCIE4 is cool and all but if you compare SATA ssd's to NVME you get 5x the amount of bandwith and that "only" gets you 2-3 seconds less of long ass loadtimes. PCIE4 will be a smaller jump compared to current gen NVME's.
    Apparently the 570s allow for significantly higher DDR4 speeds as well, which is a factor if you're really going for the highest performance. If someone is thinking of getting a 3800X/3900/3950 then it makes sense to get the 570. For a 3600, yeah, I don't see why a 470 board wouldn't be perfectly fine. Ofc, if you have an existing 470 board, then yes, definitely use that for now and at least see if the 570 boards come down in price and/or come to have a genuine use case over the 470s in a year or so.

NB: There's currently no certainty whether the next series of Ryzens will be AM4 compatible. There's no obvious reason why a hypothetical "Zen 2+" 7nm refresh (if there is one) wouldn't run on an AM4, but it seems pretty likely that the Zen 3 won't be able to. So if your upgrade path is important, that's a consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    NB: There's currently no certainty whether the next series of Ryzens will be AM4 compatible. There's no obvious reason why a hypothetical "Zen 2+" 7nm refresh (if there is one) wouldn't run on an AM4, but it seems pretty likely that the Zen 3 won't be able to. So if your upgrade path is important, that's a consideration.
    Well that wouldn't matter then, would it, as if they didn't work on AM4 anymore you'd need a new board either way. :P

Not going to buy memory kits for hundreds of dollars just to go from 3200 to 3733 Mhz. I don't even have to look at benchmarks to know that that isn't worth it.

Tbh I'm not sure why we won't see a bare bones AM4 mobo just using the Ryzen 3000 series cpu as the chipset. You get x16 lanes for the gpu, x4 for M.2 and x4 for USB/audio peripheral connections from the cpu alone, that's plenty for a super cheap mobo. Doesn't really need a chipset at all. Memory speeds will come down to build quality and the IMC, the chipset really doesn't factor into it.

As for forward compatibility; Obviously you have to cut things off eventually, it will just take too much effort keeping multiple platforms alive. That said, if we assume Zen 3 will get a new socket for DDR5, there really isn't anything stopping AMD from putting zen 3 cores together with the old DDR4 IO die that uses the old socket. You know except for the nightmarish marketing, multiple product lines, validation costs, the tiny marketshare of people that actually upgrades etc etc. But they probably could.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Well that wouldn't matter then, would it, as if they didn't work on AM4 anymore you'd need a new board either way. :P
    That's what I meant by the last sentence you quoted.
    I love Malcanis!

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Getting back to video cards: Is there any indication of how much the new Navi cards will cost, or if there will be lower-end models comparable to the RX 550/560?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Getting back to video cards: Is there any indication of how much the new Navi cards will cost, or if there will be lower-end models comparable to the RX 550/560?
    I think 299 for the 5700, 449 for the 5700XT, 499 for the 5700XT 50th AE.

380 USD for the regular 5700 which is a bit on the painfull side. Polaris replacement my ass, these prices are replacements for Vega.

But with Nvidia readying "Super" versions to steal AMD's thunder we might see some price drops.

It sure would be nice to see AMD's GPU division executing like the CPU guys. I guess they had to pick one, and chose to prioritise CPU development and confine themselves to contesting the mid/low range market for video card. It's going to be at least another generation until we can hope to see them giving Nvidia a fight like they're giving Intel right now.
    I love Malcanis!

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Zen 3, slated to arrive in 2020, basically is Zen 2+. It's a 7nm+ node, with only modest performance gains expected. Since AM4 was promised to be supported until at least 2020 there's a decent chance Zen 3 will also launch on AM4. What comes after that will probably require a new socket, but we'll see.

It sure would be nice to see AMD's GPU division executing like the CPU guys. I guess they had to pick one, and chose to prioritise CPU development and confine themselves to contesting the mid/low range market for video card. It's going to be at least another generation until we can hope to see them giving Nvidia a fight like they're giving Intel right now.
    Intel seriously dropped the ball on their own die-shrink and CPU designs, partly because AMD was so far behind for such a long time. Nvidia hasn't really been in that position and hasn't dropped any major balls recently, so they're much harder to catch up to. Also, for both companies desktop GPU's are becoming less and less important now that datacenter GPU's have really been taking off, and both companies have dedicated (and different) products for that now. AMD is more competitive there, since GCN was always better at compute than Nvidia's designs, but it still depends a lot on your workload.

I don't mind that as I've always been a midrange GPU kind of guy on account of being cheap. +400$ gpu's while interesting, has always been really hard to justify for me. In fact, the 250$ Polaris card I bought in 2017 has been the priciest one thus far.

I've been pretty salty with nvidias latest performance/dollar uplift (or lack thereof) with Turing, we'll see where Navi lands once reviews are out.

Yeah 'mid range' suddenly became $400/350 and everyone seemed to just accept it.
    I love Malcanis!

Indeed. Nvidia caught on pretty quickly when people other than miners kept buying cards at ridiculous prices. AMD can't really be faulted for following suit.

Not sure who deserves the most ire; Miners for being shills for drug trafficking, idiots for parting with their money or Nvidia for being a corporation. Allthough I'm pretty sure it's not nvidia.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    I'm going to be very disappointed if ASUS makes the Navi ROG Strix cards more than 2 slots wide, as that's all my case can handle. I really want one to complete Dashie, but I suspect ASUS will take the piss and charge $500+ for the 5700.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Yeah 'mid range' suddenly became $400/350 and everyone seemed to just accept it.
    Good morning, Sunshine, we've been discussing this for a while now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Why buy asus when Sapphire makes better cards?

Anyway, the reference blower is two slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Good morning, Sunshine, we've been discussing this for a while now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah but now it affects me
    I love Malcanis!