hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 174 of 191 FirstFirst ... 74124164171172173174175176177184 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 3814

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

  1. #3461
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Saw something on reddit the other day showing how the 2060 has better framerates than the 1070Ti
    It should tbh. Its the shittest value proposition yet though. For that price you should get a 2070. Fuck, the GTX970 cost 270. Enjoying 2070 at 450? Nah

  2. #3462
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,113
    yes, jumping to the next or over 1 generation is not cost-effective

    thank u, next!


      Spoiler:
    i have went from 8800gt/256 to 560/1gb and recently to 980/4gb

  3. #3463
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    yes, jumping to the next or over 1 generation is not cost-effective

    thank u, next!


      Spoiler:
    i have went from 8800gt/256 to 560/1gb and recently to 980/4gb
    For us that do, cost effectiveness is not a high priority.

  4. #3464

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Saw something on reddit the other day showing how the 2060 has better framerates than the 1070Ti
    It should tbh. Its the shittest value proposition yet though. For that price you should get a 2070. Fuck, the GTX970 cost 270. Enjoying 2070 at 450? Nah
    Idk the prices here and in the US make it a p great deal right now tbh. Same price as a 1070, not ti.
    Last edited by Isyel; January 24 2019 at 08:57:02 AM.

  5. #3465
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,605
    Prepare for AMD world domination :3

    No, really, this makes so much sense.

    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  6. #3466

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,637
    God that is impossible to listen to.

  7. #3467
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Saw something on reddit the other day showing how the 2060 has better framerates than the 1070Ti
    It should tbh. Its the shittest value proposition yet though. For that price you should get a 2070. Fuck, the GTX970 cost 270. Enjoying 2070 at 450? Nah
    Idk the prices here and in the US make it a p great deal right now tbh. Same price as a 1070, not ti.
    You dumb motherfucker. How is a lower tier gpu at the tier above's price good value?

  8. #3468

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Saw something on reddit the other day showing how the 2060 has better framerates than the 1070Ti
    It should tbh. Its the shittest value proposition yet though. For that price you should get a 2070. Fuck, the GTX970 cost 270. Enjoying 2070 at 450? Nah
    Idk the prices here and in the US make it a p great deal right now tbh. Same price as a 1070, not ti.
    You dumb motherfucker. How is a lower tier gpu at the tier above's price good value?
    I don't really give a fuck about what they call them cause I give zero fucks about their marketing. Just looking at the performance vs price, always. And for that right now it's a good deal.

    I don't know why would you even care what they call their shit anymore, it's entirely arbitrary anyway.

  9. #3469
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Saw something on reddit the other day showing how the 2060 has better framerates than the 1070Ti
    It should tbh. Its the shittest value proposition yet though. For that price you should get a 2070. Fuck, the GTX970 cost 270. Enjoying 2070 at 450? Nah
    Idk the prices here and in the US make it a p great deal right now tbh. Same price as a 1070, not ti.
    You dumb motherfucker. How is a lower tier gpu at the tier above's price good value?
    I don't really give a fuck about what they call them cause I give zero fucks about their marketing. Just looking at the performance vs price, always. And for that right now it's a good deal.

    I don't know why would you even care what they call their shit anymore, it's entirely arbitrary anyway.
    their naming isn't just marketing, it is indicative of the silicon used in the manufacturing (Full fat chip is a XX102 for the titans and x80ti, xx104 for a x80 and x70, xx106 for the x60 chip, and so on). They have their full fat generational chip, then cut it down variously for the consumer gaming parts. They have successfully, every recent generation (6 series onwards) given more hampered silicon (compared to the master) while increasing cost to customer. Hence now we have, in just 2 generations a nearer to doubling of cost for the equivalent chip.

    Of course comparing last gen to this gen process will show improvements. Check out the generational improvements across a bit of time. 670 > 970 > 1070 > 2070. Less and less each gen, with a hefty price bump each time.

    You are so bamboozled by it youre willing to call a lower midrange chip at 350 value.

    Its of course down to nvidias dominance. Much like intels in the cpu game over the last decade, we have been bent over as consumers. Ytou dont have to bleat their marketing wank like its actually real though ffs. Roll on some competition. Because of instead of being fucked over we might get a bit of decent competition. Much better for consumers now in the cpu market than it was a few years ago.
    Last edited by Duckslayer; January 25 2019 at 11:09:40 AM.

  10. #3470
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Saw something on reddit the other day showing how the 2060 has better framerates than the 1070Ti
    It should tbh. Its the shittest value proposition yet though. For that price you should get a 2070. Fuck, the GTX970 cost 270. Enjoying 2070 at 450? Nah
    Idk the prices here and in the US make it a p great deal right now tbh. Same price as a 1070, not ti.
    You dumb motherfucker. How is a lower tier gpu at the tier above's price good value?
    I don't really give a fuck about what they call them cause I give zero fucks about their marketing. Just looking at the performance vs price, always. And for that right now it's a good deal.

    I don't know why would you even care what they call their shit anymore, it's entirely arbitrary anyway.
    their naming isn't just marketing, it is indicative of the silicon used in the manufacturing (Full fat chip is a XX102 for the titans and x80ti, xx104 for a x80 and x70, xx106 for the x60 chip, and so on). They have their full fat generational chip, then cut it down variously for the consumer gaming parts. They have successfully, every recent generation (6 series onwards) given more hampered silicon (compared to the master) while increasing cost to customer. Hence now we have, in just 2 generations a nearer to doubling of cost for the equivalent chip.

    Of course comparing last gen to this gen process will show improvements. Check out the generational improvements across a bit of time. 670 > 970 > 1070 > 2070. Less and less each gen, with a hefty price bump each time.

    You are so bamboozled by it youre willing to call a lower midrange chip at 350 value.

    Its of course down to nvidias dominance. Much like intels in the cpu game over the last decade, we have been bent over as consumers. Ytou dont have to bleat their marketing wank like its actually real though ffs. Roll on some competition. Because of instead of being fucked over we might get a bit of decent competition. Much better for consumers now in the cpu market than it was a few years ago.
    Its pretty much marketing...
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  11. #3471

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,637
    They can call it however they fucking like, if it works it works.it's all entirely arbitrary naming wise.

  12. #3472

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    3,097
    It effectively replaces the 1070 at the 350$ launch MSRP and it's only 15-20% faster than the older model. As far as progress go this is at the lower end of the scale. (6-7 series was 25% ish and 7-9 and 9-10 was 35% ish IIRC)


    That doesn't mean it can't be good value though. From where I'm sitting it's clearly the best value oriented option for 1440p gaming right now.


    Price is the only "tier" that matters.

  13. #3473
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    They can call it however they fucking like, if it works it works.it's all entirely arbitrary naming wise.
    Pretty much this. I could care less if they name their cards after short swords (Gladius, Wakazashi, Cinquedea, etc). I look at the performance.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  14. #3474
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    It effectively replaces the 1070 at the 350$ launch MSRP and it's only 15-20% faster than the older model. As far as progress go this is at the lower end of the scale. (6-7 series was 25% ish and 7-9 and 9-10 was 35% ish IIRC)


    That doesn't mean it can't be good value though. From where I'm sitting it's clearly the best value oriented option for 1440p gaming right now.


    Price is the only "tier" that matters.

    So rather than replace the gp104 with a tu104, we get a tu106 instead for the new low prioce of what the tu104 should have been. Which was my point.

  15. #3475

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    It effectively replaces the 1070 at the 350$ launch MSRP and it's only 15-20% faster than the older model. As far as progress go this is at the lower end of the scale. (6-7 series was 25% ish and 7-9 and 9-10 was 35% ish IIRC)


    That doesn't mean it can't be good value though. From where I'm sitting it's clearly the best value oriented option for 1440p gaming right now.


    Price is the only "tier" that matters.

    So rather than replace the gp104 with a tu104, we get a tu106 instead for the new low prioce of what the tu104 should have been. Which was my point.

    Not really a point worth making in regards to price/performance. Nvidia is extending its product line and raising prices while doing it, no point in being upset in which chip replaces which. Nvidia has chosen to do a mediocre performance uplift in the 350$ segment but it's still the best value in this segment.

  16. #3476
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    It effectively replaces the 1070 at the 350$ launch MSRP and it's only 15-20% faster than the older model. As far as progress go this is at the lower end of the scale. (6-7 series was 25% ish and 7-9 and 9-10 was 35% ish IIRC)


    That doesn't mean it can't be good value though. From where I'm sitting it's clearly the best value oriented option for 1440p gaming right now.


    Price is the only "tier" that matters.

    So rather than replace the gp104 with a tu104, we get a tu106 instead for the new low prioce of what the tu104 should have been. Which was my point.

    Not really a point worth making in regards to price/performance. Nvidia is extending its product line and raising prices while doing it, no point in being upset in which chip replaces which. Nvidia has chosen to do a mediocre performance uplift in the 350$ segment but it's still the best value in this segment.
    the exact point is price to performance gains over previous generations. The idea that the only way to measure what a good buy is is current comparisons only is somewhat short-sighted imo. Or do tech consumers just have short memories?

  17. #3477

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    the exact point is price to performance gains over previous generations. The idea that the only way to measure what a good buy is is current comparisons only is somewhat short-sighted imo. Or do tech consumers just have short memories?
    Tech loyalty/grudges are dumb and bad for the consumer. Go for whatever is best when you're buying, fuck them otherwise.

    You're really mistaking this for some defense of Nvidia or something. Nah fuck them right up the arse the greedy asscunts. But if i'm buying something i'll sure as hell get the best value for whatever budget i'm at no fucks given.

  18. #3478

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

    The idea that the only way to measure what a good buy is is current comparisons only is somewhat short-sighted imo.

    No one said that. Not sure why you think I'm lauding nvidia after calling the 2060 a "mediocre performance uplift".

  19. #3479
    Ski Boot Fortior's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,728
    Today I say fuck it all and ordered an RTX 2080 FE. I'm running a mini ITX with very limited space, and that was one of few cards that would fit. Time to chuck the old gtx 970 strix, although it did serve for a long time with distinction.

    Clearly I have more money than sense.
    Real men pvp in barges.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

  20. #3480
    phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Jita IV-4
    Posts
    338
    Clearly !

    But probably you ll also have more frames than most of us … so .. nice for you ! ;P

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •