hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 148 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4898138145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 2983

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Go for XB271HUA

TN panels are good enough, I fully agree with you on the importance of high refresh rates and gsync.
    It costs, but it's such a good QoL investment.

Got the XB241H as my secondary screen, I'm not disappointed for the price I paid.
    My IPS screen got way better colors, but it also cost 6x

Looks like he can get it for around 680 AUD? https://www.pbtech.com/au/product/MO...n?qr=shopbotau
    Remember to use DP, I think that works better with high refresh rate then HDMI.
    And set the higher HZ in the monitor settings in Windows.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Would a medicore PC or playing high end games not benefit the most from a good "gaming" Monitor with *-sync? Because it still looks decent even when it drops below native refresh rate.
    One of the problems is that G-sync is insanely expensive. It's not that hard to get nice Freesync panels for a fair price, even IPS, but the G-sync monitors aren't in the same price bracket. And once you pay that much for a monitor you'll want >100 Hz and such too for that price, but that makes it even more expensive, etc etc.

Looks like he can get it for around 680 AUD? https://www.pbtech.com/au/product/MO...n?qr=shopbotau
    Remember to use DP, I think that works better with high refresh rate then HDMI.
    And set the higher HZ in the monitor settings in Windows.
    No idea who that lot are but I can get it locally for not much more and not have to wait 2 weeks for it to turn up.. If I remember rightly all of the monitors came with a dp cable and I have 3 unused ports on the back of my card, so yeah that was the plan
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Do you have the CPU and GPU (and low latency internet, given lolstralia) to match driving that game at the native res & high Hz of your proposed panels?
    Would a medicore PC or playing high end games not benefit the most from a good "gaming" Monitor with *-sync? Because it still looks decent even when it drops below native refresh rate.
    AFAIK you'd avoid tearing, and avoid the GPU generating more spare buffers than other tearing-avoid methods (if it were able to generate spares), but if for a given native res your PC can't deliver a nice FPS, you're not going to magically get a nice FPS. Just no tearing between your stop-frame animation visuals. So you still need to generate a reliable ~30FPS @ 1440p/whatever you choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Do you have the CPU and GPU (and low latency internet, given lolstralia) to match driving that game at the native res & high Hz of your proposed panels?
    AFAIK you'd avoid tearing, and avoid the GPU generating more spare buffers than other tearing-avoid methods (if it were able to generate spares), but if for a given native res your PC can't deliver a nice FPS, you're not going to magically get a nice FPS. Just no tearing between your stop-frame animation visuals. So you still need to generate a reliable ~30FPS @ 1440p/whatever you choose.
    Then why do people say that thanks to *sync their games still looks fluent even if the fps dramatically fluctuates between ~45 - 160hz?
    And yes, you still need something that can deliver minimum *sync HZ rate.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Then why do people say that thanks to *sync their games still looks fluent even if the fps dramatically fluctuates between ~45 - 160hz?
    And yes, you still need something that can deliver minimum *sync HZ rate.
    Because a low FPS is normally associated with either tearing without v-sync or stuttering and high lag with v-sync.

*sync allows the GPU to put every finished frame on the monitor immediately, eliminating a lot of lag. You can still see it's at low fps, but the frame arrived immediately without artificial delays due to buffering, so it keeps feeling smooth(ish) no matter how low your FPS goes. Yes even 20fps can look okayish.

Also, with *sync running at say 30 fps gives you a far better experience than when running at ~50 fps with v-sync on, because v-sync will switch between being locked to 30fps or 60fps all the time (on a 60Hz monitor). And you don't have any tearing, so it looks better than ~50 fps without v-sync too.

Also also, you don't need to actually reach minimum *sync Hz rate if your *sync supports frame doubling/tripling/etc. G-sync has always done that IIRC, and with FreeSync you need a monitor with a maximum Hz that is >2.5 the minimum Hz. Note that several monitors can be over/underclocked outside their stated range, I'm doing 30-85 Hz on a 40-75 Hz FreeSync monitor, to be over the 2.5x difference.
    Last edited by Overspark; June 8 2018 at 03:30:32 PM.

I'll chip in about the Asus PG279Q. It has both GSync and ULMB (the latter is an antighosting thingie that makes use of the strobing backlight). I noticed ghosting in all modes (GSync, normal 144/165Hz and ULMB 120Hz) and this was in lol World of Warships.

So ymmv but ghosting is unavoidable with plane switching panels (IPS, PVA). Probably is ok with TN displays, idk.

But if you want good colours and no ghosting and a decent price tag, we're not there just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    But if you want good colours and no ghosting and a decent price tag, we're not there just yet.
    Pretty much. It's possible to get ghosting down to a barely noticeable level using a very fast refresh (>200Hz) overdriven TN panel with a strobing backlight, but the image quality on panels like that is miserable and overshoot is usually bad enough to be a bigger problem than ghosting. Plus the backlight strobing reduces maximum brightness quite a lot.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I think I've adjusted to the point where I don't actually notice ghosting, it helps that the "fastest" game I play is Overwatch

If i want good perfomance in star citizen wich gpu should i go for? 1080 or 1080ti and 8 or 11 gig memory on the gpu?

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janeway84 View Post
    If i want good perfomance in star citizen wich gpu should i go for? 1080 or 1080ti and 8 or 11 gig memory on the gpu?
    1080ti if you can afford it, I believe it's heavily CPU bound at the moment though, so maybe a 1080 and a better CPU?

Just buy the 1280 ti, it as the same release date star citizen :))))))

I have been told that a 1080 is as good as a overclocked 1070ti, but the 1070ti is cheaper. Then again I only saw 3rd party 1070ti vs. Nvidia FE 1080. Not sure how 3rd party 1070ti vs 3rd party 1080 handles itself.

Just buy the 1280 ti, it as the same release date star citizen )))))

I have been told that a 1080 is as good as a overclocked 1070ti, but the 1070ti is cheaper. Then again I only saw 3rd party 1070ti vs. Nvidia FE 1080. Not sure how 3rd party 1070ti vs 3rd party 1080 handles itself.
    Generally third parties are better if they have special cooling. They should be cooler and therefore easier to o/c and with more o/c potential.

I would never upgrade my video card to play a game that won't be released for another couple years at the least the.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only issue with this idea is that you're assuming somebody would be willing to OC a 1070ti but not a 1080, how much faster is the OC'd 1080?

Also 3rd party cards are /not/ universally faster, you have brands like Palit which sell underclocked/undervolded/cutdown ITX cards.

Hence I said "generally", now go to your room

rude more information is always useful

I just don't want somebody to go "wow that 1080ti is $150 less than others, I should get it now!" and end up with a single fan cut up mITX shitheap

This was always my plan SC taking 400 years to develop is actually helping me out because I can save for a new system for longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    rude more information is always useful

I just don't want somebody to go "wow that 1080ti is $150 less than others, I should get it now!" and end up with a single fan cut up mITX shitheap
    Granted I should have mentioned that third party to look for is not Palit. ASUS Strix, Gigabyte Windforce series, stuff like that

EVGA has been doing nice stuffs albeit it looks like the stock stuff, but sometimes their power circuits are second to none :3

I didn't mean to be rude, I apologise.

Im not at home atm but I think I might have a old geforce 970 so a upgrade feels in order.
    Was planning on a whole system replacement from dvd drive to blueray to bigger n faster ssd and replace my old cpu from a amd 8xxx to a ryzen 1800 or ryzen 2.

But then i suddenly got offered my own apartment and i had to postpone my summerplans to a fall plan
    But Im trying to plan ahead for my options.