hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 144 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4494134141142143144145146 LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 2912

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/...-graphics-card
    +50% to 100% performance increase it looks like when compared to old titan. Doesn't excuse the price though.
    It's funny because some people bought a Titan Xp.

Otoh, this would be an actual upgrade to my Maxwell Titan X, however fuck that price tag. Seriously, what is wrong with NVIDIA.
    The article specifically states that this is a supercomputing card that won't be very good at gaming, and I'm assuming you're using your Titan X for gaming, so would it really be a good upgrade?
    Not only for gaming. Doing gaming, CAD and computing on it (at least what I've done so far for my project which involves heavy computing/supercomputing).

For a supercomputing/CAD card, the Titan V is dangerously close to Quadros in terms of pricing, that's my issue. The Titans so far have been closer to gaming cards in terms or pricing rather than CAD cards, so this is a disadvantage imho.

Fact is NVIDIA has been murkier and murkier in terms of specs and product placement. The Maxwell Titan for example was neutered a bit compared to the previous one in terms of computing power but ended up being faster simply by being a newer generation. It's like they have people who are pulling different ways, somebody wanted them to be better than gaming cards for SC, others have inflated the price accordingly. Idk. Tbh I'd want one just to compare the speed difference for CAD and some of my projects tbh. Seeing I'm funding my project out of my pocket for some time now, it's becoming quickly unsustainable the more progress I make
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Fair enough. Rent time on cloud servers with multiple GPU cards for computing jobs? AWS has them AFAIK.

Will be something to consider once the project needs that computing power. Until then I'd rather keep everything in-house.

The GTX **80 TI has always been the better value card for rendering and CUDA related things. The lack of HBM2 memory on that thing was a bit of an eye opener.

I wish OpenCL and high end AMD cards didn't suck.

Best value will always be a render farm/small cluster, but I still need my workstation first then the rest.

I'm studying feasibility into different solutions, it's quite interesting how services have evolved.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    So, I've posted about this in another thread a while back, but there is a known bug with AMD cards where 100% GPU utilization will occur when the card is idle. This tends to happen most often with YouTube in Firefox/Chrome but also some games. This is apparently being caused by one or two things: amddvr.exe (a file for ReLive) and/or hardware VP9 decoding. This occurs even when ReLive is not installed. There are three methods for solving this.

1. Open about:config and set the wmf.amd.vp9 setting to false. This will move VP9 decoding to your CPU, but you should be fine, even with 4K video.
    2. Open Task Manager and manually kill the amddvr.exe process each time it goes haywire. It will restart, but not use 100% of your CPU.
    3. Delete amddvr.exe in safe mode.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Reports are trickling in of 1080s under $500, and RX580s under $400. The long nightmare may be abating.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

You sure? Every time I check the price for my card it seems to have risen further, proportionally increasing my smugness as it continues its journey.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    You sure? Every time I check the price for my card it seems to have risen further, proportionally increasing my smugness as it continues its journey.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

yep

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

yep
    Proof by reddit? Oh well, I'll allow it. Time to find something new to be smug about.

Donor
    It does look like prices are going down, slowly. At least for NVidia cards. 1070s peaked at around 650, but I see some for about 490 now and the stock situation is way better than it was a month ago.

Now it's RAM prices that are getting weird. 120 for 8GBs wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Now it's RAM prices that are getting weird. 120 for 8GBs wtf.

Spoiler:

The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Now it's RAM prices that are getting weird. 120€ for 8GBs wtf.
    DDR4 prices have been shocking for a while now, and from what's being said by the manufacturers it'll be that way for as long as they can get away with it. There're making good money now, after years of struggling to break even.

This has caused an interesting market to develop, where Chinese motherboard manufacturers are launching new desktop boards for older DDR3 sockets. I've seen ones for sockets 1155, 1156, 1366 and 2011. Most of them support older Xeons, which can be had for stupid prices on ebay (like $10 for a 4C/8T 1156 Xeon, or $50 for a 6C/12T 1366 chip) and some of the 1366 and 2011 boards will take ECC/REG server memory, which is also really cheap atm.

Basically desktop users are just going to get screwed here for the foreseeable. It's a tiny market compared to phones and laptops, and there's no longer any commonality with servers, which have long since moved onto lolhueg sticks, with 128GB being common as muck. You've got no choice and the manufacturers know you're all ~enthusiasts~ who will just give in.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    tfw still on DDR3 and an i5 4690K

pretty sure I still don't need to upgrade

My i5 2500k still trucking.

Even that is probably overkill since I mostly play rocket league and AoE2 now with my CAD days long behind me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Eww, i5 peons

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Eww, i5 peons
    unless you're doing "work" on your home PC there's literally no reason to get an i7 currently

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Eww, i5 peons
    unless you're doing "work" on your home PC there's literally no reason to get an i7 currently
    I am pretty sure Civ 6 is, like, 0.02 seconds faster per turn!