hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 298 12341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile Phone Megathread

Mobile Phone Megathread

So yeah to continue where I left off, thinking of upgrading my phone to a smart-phone. I don't want to change my carrier as verizon is pretty cool for me so far...

What I've looked at is Iphone, thunderbolt, fascinate, droid x

From all of those I'm sort of leaning for the iphone/thunderbolt....

The thunderbolt is pretty cool, its basically a evo4g with few added things, but what worries me is reports of battery being sapped in like 4-5 hrs of usage....

Helpz

Re: Mobile Phone Megathread

take the htc desire hd - its just the best freakin smart phone on the market, iphone has better screen resolution but u really cannot see the differences. the touchscreen with andoird as operating system is way faster than the iphone and with htc widgets and stuff its way better to work with.
    the size is one thing that most peps are scared of, but i woould say its perfect. it fits in nearly every pocket, and for email writing the screen is just big enough (could be a bit bigger
    battery is also ok, a little bit too small for an smartphone but i can go with it almost 2 and 1/2 days. and htc is going to bring new ones out soon.

so htc desire hd >>> all for me

The HTC desire is awesome, and the HD version is just better.

When is the iphone 5 supposed/rumoured to be released?

Seconding the Thunderbolt's shitty battery... a friend got one the other day, hasn't stopped complaining about it since.

However, I'm waiting for one of these

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/08/verizon-w ... hots-leak/

Played with the GSM version in Taiwan a few weeks ago... pretty nice, though my only hesitation is whether I should wait for a dual-core phone

re iPhone 5, heard its not gonna be announced in June but rather September vOv

My Desire HD's battery seems to be dropping quite quickly. I'm wondering whether it just needs a couple of charges to get to full capacity, or whether it's just :welp:.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

The iPhone 5 is RUMORED to not be coming out this summer at WWDC, apple hinted as much in their invite to the conference but no one really knows. Likewise the invitation hinted at iOS5 not coming until later this year as well. I have talked on the phone today for like 5 minutes, sent a couple of texts, checked my mail and rss feeds. In 12 hours I've gone from 100% battery to 96% on my iPhone 4.

The iOS app list.

***** GAMES *****

ABOVE
    ANGRY BIRDS
    BEJEWELED
    ELISS
    CRITTER CRUNCH
    CUT THE ROPE
    CANABALT
    CHAOS RINGS
    DROP7
    DARK NEBULA
    DEEP GREEN
    FRUIT NINJA
    EDGE
    ESPGALUDA II
    KOMETEN
    MONDO SOLITAIRE
    PEGGLE
    PIX'N LOVE RUSH
    ROLANDO
    SOLIPSKIER
    STAR DEFENCE
    STRATEGERY
    SHIBUYA
    SUPER QUICK HOOK
    SPACE INVADERS INFINITY GENE
    SPIDER: SECRET OF BRYCE MANOR
    SWORCERY
    THE INCIDENT
    TOPPLE 2
    TILT TO LIVE
    TINY WINGS
    PLANTS VS ZOMBIES
    PERFECT CELL
    ROBOT UNICORN ATTACK
    INFINITY BLADE
    FOX VS DUCK
    FLIGHT CONTROL
    FIELD RUNNERS
    FRENZIC
    ZENBOUND
    OSMOS
    ONE-DOT ENEMIES
    WORDFU
    WURDLE
    WORLD OF GOO

***** MUSIC *****

PANDORA RADIO
    RDIO
    SPOTIFY

***** VIDEO *****

AIR VIDEO
    NETFLIX
    IMOVIE

***** PHOTOGRAPHY *****

EVERYDAY
    CAMERA+
    HIPSTAMATIC
    PHOTOGENE
    CAMERABAG
    INSTAGRAM
    FLICKR
    POSTAGE
    THE GUARDIAN EYEWITNESS
    MILL COLOUR
    PHOTO FX
    PRO HDR

***** SOCIAL NETWORKING *****

TWITTER
    FACEBOOK
    ***** NEWS *****

FLIPBOARD
    REEDER
    NPR

***** PAINTING *****

BRUSHES
    LAYERS

***** REFERENCE *****

IMDB
    WOLFRAMALPHA
    TIKI+
    COCKTAILS+
    ARTICLES
    BARISTA
    RATIO
    THE ELEMENTS
    SOLAR SYSTEM
    THE PHOTO COOKBOOK

***** PRODUCTIVITY *****

BENTO
    EPICWIN
    ELEMENTS
    EVERNOTE
    DROPBOX
    DIALVETICA
    FILEMAKER
    CALVETICA
    INSTAPAPER
    SIMPLENOTE
    OMNIFOCUS
    NOTESY
    THINGS
    KEYNOTE REMOTE
    TEXTEXPANDER

***** FINANCE *****

MONEYBOOK

***** BUSINESS *****

SCANNER PRO

***** UTILITIES *****

EGO
    FIND MY IPHONE
    ROWMOTE
    SCREENS
    1PASSWORD
    PCALC
    BATTLE.NET MOBILE AUTHENTICATOR
    CANNED SMS
    CALCBOT
    PASTEBOT
    CONVERTBOT
    CONSUME
    DELIVERY STATUS TOUCH
    FAVORITES - SPEED DIAL
    GLYPHBOARD ( http://mrgan.com/gb/ )
    SATURATION
    WEIGHTBOT
    WORD LENS
    EVERY TIME ZONE ( http://everytimezone.com )

***** HEALTHCARE AND FITNESS *****

RUNKEEPER PRO
    KINETIC - ACTIVITY TRACKING
    SECONDS - INTERVAL TIMER

Quote Originally Posted by WasahB
    Seconding the Thunderbolt's shitty battery... a friend got one the other day, hasn't stopped complaining about it since.

However, I'm waiting for one of these

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/08/verizon-w ... hots-leak/

Played with the GSM version in Taiwan a few weeks ago... pretty nice, though my only hesitation is whether I should wait for a dual-core phone

re iPhone 5, heard its not gonna be announced in June but rather September vOv
    Yeah for the bold part. It's what i've looked into quite a bit and reports are varying...Some get 3-4hrs others get 4-6 and others get the 7+hrs. But from majority of reports it's in the 3-6hr range for the battery. Which seems ridiculous for the phone. Not to mention I find it disturbing that they are selling a battery with 2x the power for extra $50 but included a under-powered one for TB from start.

I am really liking the specs of the TB as it's like Evo4g, but the battery is scary. So I might wait and see how the Bionic is in a 1-2 months time ....I could also be a real dick and just buy a droid x now, mess with it for 20-30 days, return, exchange it for a fascinate(galaxy s), mess around for same time then return it and try the bionic .... I wonder if that would work...

@Sophia, how heavy do you use your phone and how long does the battery last you?

48 hour battery on the iPhone... Just sayin.

GF's about to sell her HD desire, it's the third one she's had on RMA (dropped calls, shitty battery and a bunch of other bugs) - I honestly don't get what you all see in that piece of junk... Oh well.

I have a DHD and I agree with the slightly under capacity battery (it gets better after a number of charges but still not great). Sunlight readability is woeful due to having a bog standard LCD screen but thats not an issue often enough to complain.

Sigh this whole smart-phone thing is starting to piss me off ....I think I might just wait the extra month and see what comes out...

Galaxy S II, Bionic, and bunch of others are coming to verizon in may so not long of wait, in the mean time I might get a something to mess around with and return it within 30 days of their policy if I don't like it....

Quote Originally Posted by Helfix
    Sigh this whole smart-phone thing is starting to piss me off ....I think I might just wait the extra month and see what comes out...

Galaxy S II, Bionic, and bunch of others are coming to verizon in may so not long of wait, in the mean time I might get a something to mess around with and return it within 30 days of their policy if I don't like it....
    I'm in the same boat :[

Fuck verizon tbh, they always take forever to get new phones out... but I can't leave them because they're the only telecom that gets signal near my house...

Know quite a few people with the DHD, myself included who haven't had any major issues with them bar the battery life being crap.
    But then my expectations were always low going from an old Nokia 3330 (two weeks battery life!) to a fucking huge phone that doubles as a game machine/video player/camera etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn
    My Desire HD's battery seems to be dropping quite quickly. I'm wondering whether it just needs a couple of charges to get to full capacity, or whether it's just :welp:.

It dosent get any better. My friend has a Desire HD and it needs charging at least 2 times every day.

Personally I have the Desire Z. Less power, yes, but battery lasts a couple of days and it has a keyboard for me to use with my fat fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo
    The evolution of the meme. From shipspinning to meatspinning.

The "old" classic Desire seems to be the best tbh, if it only looked better than it does.

Anyway, I'm perfectly content with mine for ages now, although at some point I should update from CM 6.1.1 to a Gingerbread build. Then again I've still not heard if they've managed to make it suck less battery than 6.1.1, which is a point where the older ROM seems to excel.

Spoiler:
    a large faecal log spread out on the oversized scrotum of a domestic pig
      Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lorkin Desal
    It dosent get any better. My friend has a Desire HD and it needs charging at least 2 times every day.

Personally I have the Desire Z. Less power, yes, but battery lasts a couple of days and it has a keyboard for me to use with my fat fingers.
    this is all about usage and signal strength and has very little to do with the phone itself
    the Z and HD have almost exactly the same hardware and battery, the differences cant amount up to more than an hour or 2 i reckon

if you're having real problems with battery life try forcing it to 2g mode only and see what happens

also theoretically the Z should have best battery life out of the desire family
    45nm underclocked processor will draw less power and the battery is only marginally smaller

Flash 10.2 is a good reason to not go iPhone.

Using the Google Nexus S myself, charging it every 3 days or so.
    Need more speakers

Right, my phone contract will be up for renewal pretty soon, but I have no idea which phone to get. Paying 32/month or so atm (including internet) and that's pretty much the upper limit on what I want to spend on it per month, nor do I want to pay massively up front for a phone (a tenner or so is fine, but nothing retarded).

Two phones have sort of caught my eye, but idunnolol, LG Optimus 2x and the Galaxy S. wat do?

Desire HD is out of my price range at 45/month.
    LOL SIGNATURES.

new job means I can finally get my first smartphone in the coming month or so. I want an android phone of some kind, is there a few top contenders that I should pick from? So far see Galaxy S, Nexus S, HTC Desire (HD?), maybe others. I'm on AT&T atm, may consider switching if it means a better deal or the best choice of phones.

edit: also I haven't heard much of anything about windows 7 mobile, is it just as shitty as previous versions? being able to openly put pirated music/movies/books on the thing and have them all work is the most important thing for me, along with using it like a usb flash drive and internets browser.

edit edit: just seen the Atrix 4G and it looks awesome, dual core with biometric scanner to unlock yes please.