hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 317 of 318 FirstFirst ... 217267307314315316317318 LastLast
Results 6,321 to 6,340 of 6359

Thread: Mobile Phone Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    No big worry. I found the fingerprint unlock to be far more convenient than face unlock on my one plus. Having the finger print reader in the back is awesome. Only thing I want to change is it act like the home key if the phone is unlocked.
    Innocent question : how is it better than having it on the front ?
    How do you hold your phone?
    From the bottom/edges, where the keyboard and nav buttons are.

Fingerprint readers will disappear from the back as soon as in-screen readers are cheap enough to be in every phone. They were always just a kludge to squeeze out another few millimetres of screen.
    It really is about positioning of the fingerprint reader. I have a Nexus 5X and i just love the position of the fingerprint reader on the back, it lies perfectly natural for me to put the index finger on it while using the phone 1 handed.

My zuk has a central button (think classic iphone look) that is also tactile (so I use gestures instead of the three usual android virtual buttons, more screen estate freed up) and fingerprint reader
    It's pretty awesome, even though it looks outdated in today's age of huge, no-edges, notch-full screens.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseman View Post
    No big worry. I found the fingerprint unlock to be far more convenient than face unlock on my one plus. Having the finger print reader in the back is awesome. Only thing I want to change is it act like the home key if the phone is unlocked.

Fingerprint readers will disappear from the back as soon as in-screen readers are cheap enough to be in every phone. They were always just a kludge to squeeze out another few millimetres of screen.
    It really is about positioning of the fingerprint reader. I have a Nexus 5X and i just love the position of the fingerprint reader on the back, it lies perfectly natural for me to put the index finger on it while using the phone 1 handed.
    Yep exactly. So idk why would you position it in the front.

@elmicker i honestly dont know anyone who olds their phone from the bottom like you are.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseman View Post

can confirm, 5X's fingerprint sensor is perfect

I liked how Sony incorporated them fingerprints scanner into the power button on the right bezel. Also very natural to engage.

But the lack of surface Are made it a bit finicky

MI8 mate

@elmicker i honestly dont know anyone who olds their phone from the bottom like you are.
    Look at how you hold your phone when you're typing, or when you initially pick it up; before you've put it into your second hand and anchored everything down so you can move around. Your thumb lands much more naturally in the middle of the bottom third of the screen than your fingers land, pad down, on the back; naturally they want to sit side on. Plus they don't work with cases, when it's mounted in a car or when it's face up on a table. They're a kludge.

Which is why rear fingerprint readers will disappear over the next year as cheap in-screen readers come onto the market.

You really shouldn't fiddle with unlocking your phone whilst it's mounted in a car. Just saying
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Ironically, just as I was talking about how good my Nexus 5X is, it managed to get soaked and is now very dead

Any recommendations for a similar budget phone (same size pref) removeable storage would be a big plus, as would non-bload android

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    can confirm, 5X's fingerprint sensor is perfect
    1+ 5T is great too, although I hear they changed it in the 6
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    I'm hoping for dual fingerprint readers. Reader on the back is better when holding the phone and pulling it out of your pocket, like you do most of the time. In-screen fingerprint reader is better when it's lying down on a desk or table.

If Samsung gets the ultrasound sensor working, you might as well hope for fingerprint recognition all around the device.

Look at how you hold your phone when you're typing, or when you initially pick it up; before you've put it into your second hand and anchored everything down so you can move around. Your thumb lands much more naturally in the middle of the bottom third of the screen than your fingers land, pad down, on the back; naturally they want to sit side on. Plus they don't work with cases, when it's mounted in a car or when it's face up on a table. They're a kludge.

Which is why rear fingerprint readers will disappear over the next year as cheap in-screen readers come onto the market.
    What the fuck are you even talking about.

Is there a reason people don't use thumbs to unlock?

location of the sensor ?
    Sony uses thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    location of the sensor ?
    Sony uses thumb.
    Didn't iphones have them on the front or was that a dream?

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Ironically, just as I was talking about how good my Nexus 5X is, it managed to get soaked and is now very dead

Any recommendations for a similar budget phone (same size pref) removeable storage would be a big plus, as would non-bload android
    Xiaomi Mi A1. All of your req's but no NFC. Around 140.

Mi A2 is good too, and a little bit more modern looking. Roughly same price, think they had them for 139 over last weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    location of the sensor ?
    Sony uses thumb.
    Wouldn't know, don't give a shit about iphones. Seems like an awfull and unergonomic design choice.

location of the sensor ?
    Sony uses thumb.
    They did but they they removed them altogether because they got in to the swing of removing things people used.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Caved and went with a Wileyfox Swift X because it's 150 cheaper than the Nokia I was looking at

Can't handle the bus without headphones in and I don't take many photos so camera quality means nothing to me

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    location of the sensor ?
    Sony uses thumb.
    They did but they they removed them altogether because they got in to the swing of removing things people used.
    Or, you know, in the spirit of not having teeny tiny screens with massive bezels around them, looking like a design from a decade ago.