hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 311 of 318 FirstFirst ... 211261301308309310311312313314 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,220 of 6358

Thread: Mobile Phone Megathread

mhm everybody I know just uses their bank/debit/creditcard for those situations so NFC usage is a very niche thing for me.

Like reading the NFC chip on a bank card for shits and giggles or maybe pairing a BT device with touch functionality.

NFC is one of those things that I don't use often but I'd really miss if I didn't have it. I don't often pay with my phone, but it's great for those times I've left my wallet behind. Likewise, I don't often pirate amiibo, but when I do it's nice to be able to do it off my phone.

Wireless charging is a non-negotiable and I'm staggered some phones still omit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    mhm everybody I know just uses their bank/debit/creditcard for those situations so NFC usage is a very niche thing for me.

Like reading the NFC chip on a bank card for shits and giggles or maybe pairing a BT device with touch functionality.
    I didn't think Austrians were as backward as Germany with this. But at least here our Sparkasse now has an app that does NFC payment on the phone.
    If only all stores/restaurants/bars here would accept payment by card, that'd be great. Your Registrierkassenpflichtgesetz actually did something good there.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

In Australia, it's at the point where people look at you funny if you don't use nfc to pay, but using mobiles to pay is not as common as waving the card.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

This backwardness makes me actually angry as one of it's symptoms is the pushback against the digital class register which I have to deal with at school.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

I didn't think Austrians were as backward as Germany with this. But at least here our Sparkasse now has an app that does NFC payment on the phone.
    If only all stores/restaurants/bars here would accept payment by card, that'd be great. Your Registrierkassenpflichtgesetz actually did something good there.

Tapapapatalk

NFC payment isn't rare at all here (although certainly not as common as in asia whith all these emoney cards and stuff). Only NFC payment with mobile phones isn't exactly common.

The reason is to some extent the (small) size of the Austrian market. Neither Google Pay, Samsung Pay nor Apple Pay yet are available in Austria. Banks have had NFC solutions for mobiles for some years already. But for most of these you needed an additional special NFC SIM. Which most people simply wouldn't bother with (and at least initially that even cost extra, don't know about now). A new App which most major banks share for a mobile 'Bankomat Card' which doesn't need a special SIM anymore is relatively new.

Tbh while I am pretty much an early adopter usually I haven't bothered with NFC mobile payment yet either. Swiping your wallet with your NFC card (all cards whether Maestro or Credit/Debit are NFC enabled for years now) isn't any more effort than doing the same with your mobile .. no ? :P

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Tapapapatalk

NFC payment isn't rare at all here (although certainly not as common as in asia whith all these emoney cards and stuff). Only NFC payment with mobile phones isn't exactly common.

The reason is to some extent the (small) size of the Austrian market. Neither Google Pay, Samsung Pay nor Apple Pay yet are available in Austria. Banks have had NFC solutions for mobiles for some years already. But for most of these you needed an additional special NFC SIM. Which most people simply wouldn't bother with (and at least initially that even cost extra, don't know about now). A new App which most major banks share for a mobile 'Bankomat Card' which doesn't need a special SIM anymore is relatively new.

Tbh while I am pretty much an early adopter usually I haven't bothered with NFC mobile payment yet either. Swiping your wallet with your NFC card (all cards whether Maestro or Credit/Debit are NFC enabled for years now) isn't any more effort than doing the same with your mobile .. no ? :P
    My debit card is up for renewal this year, then I'll have contactless as well. Not all card terminals in use support it. I would prefer phone though due to having to unlock it even for small amounts, unlike the card which will not require a pin for small amounts.
    nevar forget

What do our resident autists think of the Nokia 7 plus? I am sick of flagship phones and the drama and prices that come with them.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Ars prefers the 6.1 ($269) from earlier this year over the 7 Plus, but finds it still a good product compared to other phones in that price segment:

The key with HMD/Nokia phones is always the price. The Nokia 7.1 seems like a great phone, because, especially in the US, there's not much available at this price point. Most $350 phones are anonymous shovelware devices like the "LG Q7+," which almost always come with terrible skins and zero software support. HMD is basically the only company with a thoughtful, well-supported lineup of phones at various price points. Like every other Nokia phone, the 7.1 will get two years of major Android updates and three years of monthly security updates. The Nokia 7.1 launches with Android 8.0 Oreo, but HMD promises an update to Android 9 Pie by the end of the month, which will make it one of the most up-to-date Android phones on the market.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Most $350 phones are anonymous shovelware devices like the "LG Q7+," which almost always come with terrible skins and zero software support.
    Just because a company does not have a big presence in US does not make it anonymous shovelware. LG products are usually quite good and have a huge presence in asian markets. That said, the 7.1 and 7.1 plus are better at very similar price points vs the LG Q7+

Edit: The Vivo V11 Pro seems pretty good too for around the same price. No NFC though.
    Last edited by Jolin; October 8 2018 at 03:49:12 PM.

Given the whole article, I think the emphasis in that sentence lies on the "which almost always come with terrible skins and zero software support" part.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Given the whole article, I think the emphasis in that sentence lies on the "which almost always come with terrible skins and zero software support" part.
    LG have been slowly improving their support this year. I'm currently on the august security patch on the G6 for example. No idea how the Q7+ support is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    LG have been slowly improving their support this year. I'm currently on the august security patch on the G6 for example. No idea how the Q7+ support is though.
    Got October patch last week on my S9+

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Got October patch last week on my S9+
    I'm on August patch of Android 8.0 (Samsung C9 Pro). Update cycle is a little different if you're using the company's flagship phone.

Not really a massive MIUI fan but xiaomi is really on the Ball with updates - on all devices.

I just wish they'd make a MI8 or pocophone F1 with Android one...

The Mi a1/a2 are OK but I want a proper camera and bigger battery.

The A2 looks ok but the lack of the headphone jack is going to annoy me. Selfie camera is meh. Gonna try the main tomorrow. Afterwards I need to root it.

Quite happy with my Nokia 6.1 and avoids the according to this thread austism "flagship features" triggers in the 7.1. Headphone jack, sd card, google one program, no notch, no crazy thin/non existent bezels, no glass back. Camera is a bit shit but so are my pictures so we're a good match. Also no wireless charging but I've never experienced that so I can be happy in my ignorance still. Everything else I have plugs in with a cable after all.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Lol wireless charging

"let me enjoy 1A charging speeds like it's 2012 with all of the flexibility of a charging dock"

Lol wireless charging

"let me enjoy 1A charging speeds like it's 2012 with all of the flexibility of a charging dock"
    10w without having to plug anything in is plenty. Saves faffing about with cables and limits wear on the charging port.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Lol wireless charging

10w without having to plug anything in is plenty. Saves faffing about with cables and limits wear on the charging port.
    Unfortunately it can put a ton of wear on your battery if it heats up because it's not perfectly aligned. Not saying it happens on all wireless charging phones but there are definitely some that do.