hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 320 of 322 FirstFirst ... 220270310317318319320321322 LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,400 of 6439

Thread: Mobile Phone Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Monitor movement and heartbeat and also sleep cycles.
    You can pretty much measure REM cycles that way

MI8m8
    Is that useful?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

In their most basic form they are a reminder that you havent walked enough for the day. The 'better' ones move up to actual exercise tracking.

Its so you can get to the end of the week and go 'lol i didnt hit any of these random goals I didnt set' and move on with your life.. (If you are actually using them properly then you are supposed to try and hit the goals and then increase the goals).

Edit: They can be useful if you are actually trying to stick to an exercise plan for some reason. For probably 90% of people they turn in to a wrist band that they can press a button on every now and then.
    How do they track exercise? By monitoring heart rate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Idk, I don't have one but the monitoring sleep by heart rate and movement bit at least seems interesting... You know...for science.

Heart rate & accelerometer for workout afaik

The xiaomi variant is like 15 bucks when it's on sale.. I'm not getting one because I find wrist bands annoying.
    Last edited by Stoffl; January 22 2019 at 03:22:47 PM.

I had a Fitbit for a while. Using it as a sleep tracker didn't help very much. It's not very good at anything but seeing if you moved.

So I'd check my 'sleep' and see I was 'awake' almost every hour. I started believing it and felt like shit because I thought I was sleeping poorly based on the Fitbit.

Stopped using it and stopped worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Monitor movement and heartbeat and also sleep cycles.
    You can pretty much measure REM cycles that way

MI8m8
    Is that useful?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

In their most basic form they are a reminder that you havent walked enough for the day. The 'better' ones move up to actual exercise tracking.

Its so you can get to the end of the week and go 'lol i didnt hit any of these random goals I didnt set' and move on with your life.. (If you are actually using them properly then you are supposed to try and hit the goals and then increase the goals).

Edit: They can be useful if you are actually trying to stick to an exercise plan for some reason. For probably 90% of people they turn in to a wrist band that they can press a button on every now and then.
    How do they track exercise? By monitoring heart rate?
    Yeah. Anything but the basic ones also have a heart monitor. A lot of the higher end fitness trackers also have a GPS which is only useful if you don't go to a gym to work out..

Once you move in to full blown smart watch territory then you usually also get Bluetooth and a music player (and storage) so you can play your tunes without having to carry your phone.

Again, unless you are already working out or plan to do it somewhat seriously then they tend to be pretty useless..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

They sound pretty useless even if you are working out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Think of them as a device to stop you slacking. You still can, but you can't claim you didn't know..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Coming at it from the wrong angle mate

When first starting to work out people like a way to measure everything so they have a sense of progression

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Got a FitBit Charge 2 as a gift from a friend and its pretty neat. Especially like the sleep tracker although I don't always like sleeping with it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Got a FitBit Charge 2 as a gift from a friend and its pretty neat. Especially like the sleep tracker although I don't always like sleeping with it on.
    I think my wife has one of these. It's a step up from the original she had that was little more than a pedometer tracking steps. New one is also a watch, and will display text messages for her, without costing quite as much as a smart watch.

She's fond of it. She wore her original fitbit for years. For some people, a little bit of accountability/reminder goes a long way toward helping progress.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Android 9.0.3 fixed it btw
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Alright failbros, I need a recommendation. I have been using one of these babies for the last... let's call it 8 years.

Background I typed up but isn't necessary:
      Spoiler:

I finally have a job that pays, and I'm finally ready to make the jump from my trusty flip phone to a smart phone, because access to personal email while at work would be handy, and so would a traffic map on the way to and from the office.

I'm not really looking to make the jump to a top-of-the-line beast of a phone. I'm hoping not to use it enough to justify the cost.

That said, I'm a tech nerd with a history of splurging on shit that's better quality than I actually need. Like a HOTAS Warthog that lives in its box because I'm too busy with other games.

So it's tempting to go for a bottom-barrel prepaid smartphone. The problem: I've had the same phone number since 2005 and would prefer to keep it, which kinda sorta maybe keeps me tied to Verizon? And I can get a discount (15-20%) with them through my employer.

The important bits:
    - Probably stuck with Verizon for now.
    - Want something durable. I'll probably be gentler with a smartphone than I've been with my old flip phone, but I'm pretty used to throwing it at the cat, and old habits die hard.
    - Not really looking for top-end stuff, unless it's worth the money. Don't have a fixed budget.
    - I guess a good camera would be nice.
    - Probably don't want to deal with Apple's bullshit. Get enough of that from wife's phone/laptop.
    - big storage would be nice, part of the hope is to dump the music collection into it so I can listen at work.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Alright failbros, I need a recommendation. I have been using one of these babies for the last... let's call it 8 years.

Background I typed up but isn't necessary:
      Spoiler:

I finally have a job that pays, and I'm finally ready to make the jump from my trusty flip phone to a smart phone, because access to personal email while at work would be handy, and so would a traffic map on the way to and from the office.

I'm not really looking to make the jump to a top-of-the-line beast of a phone. I'm hoping not to use it enough to justify the cost.

That said, I'm a tech nerd with a history of splurging on shit that's better quality than I actually need. Like a HOTAS Warthog that lives in its box because I'm too busy with other games.

So it's tempting to go for a bottom-barrel prepaid smartphone. The problem: I've had the same phone number since 2005 and would prefer to keep it, which kinda sorta maybe keeps me tied to Verizon? And I can get a discount (15-20%) with them through my employer.

The important bits:
    - Probably stuck with Verizon for now.
    - Want something durable. I'll probably be gentler with a smartphone than I've been with my old flip phone, but I'm pretty used to throwing it at the cat, and old habits die hard.
    - Not really looking for top-end stuff, unless it's worth the money. Don't have a fixed budget.
    - I guess a good camera would be nice.
    - Probably don't want to deal with Apple's bullshit. Get enough of that from wife's phone/laptop.
    - big storage would be nice, part of the hope is to dump the music collection into it so I can listen at work.
    WRT to storage, it is way way cheaper to get a phone that supports a removable SD card than it is to get big internal storage. With my previous phone, getting the 32gig + a 128 gig sd card was still cheaper than the 64 gig version.

Also just throwing out my love for motorola.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    get a few years old samsung or sony. they'll have good battery (if you're lucky, replaceable!), good support for apps, good cameras and expandable memory.

get a case regardless, but i'd look at like a samsung A5 or an xperia x

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Moto g6 any addition to be honest.

Good budget smartphone

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Moto g7 lineup was just announced.
    G7 power has 5000mah battery if that's your thing.

But don't expect a good camera on any of these

Personally I'd recommend a pocophone for what you're asking.
    Best price performance you can find and has micro SD slot.
    Camera is on level of iPhone 8 or Google Pixel (the original one)
    And you can run them Google camera Ports which vastly improves the performance
    MI8m8
    Last edited by Stoffl; February 9 2019 at 02:03:20 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I needed a place to start looking, and this is a big help.

Android 9: And Another thing edition.

Has anyone else noticed that the notification sounds and volume are now inexplicably linked to your music volume not the alarm volume? Texts now utter a ear-splitting shriek if you have had musing at a barely audible volume in the past week.

Notifications in general seem properly fucked really. Not happy :/
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

No that's not a general android 9 thing.
    That's specific to your phone / manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Android 9: And Another thing edition.

Has anyone else noticed that the notification sounds and volume are now inexplicably linked to your music volume not the alarm volume? Texts now utter a ear-splitting shriek if you have had musing at a barely audible volume in the past week.

Notifications in general seem properly fucked really. Not happy :/
    nope, got 3 different volume settings for Music, Alarms, and Rings/notifications.

phones are so expensive now. *sigh*