hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 306 of 313 FirstFirst ... 206256296303304305306307308309 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,120 of 6247

Thread: Mobile Phone Megathread

  1. #6101
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    29,725
    unless a phone is like totes waterproof there is no excuse for noy having a jack

  2. #6102
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    21,976
    There's plenty waterproof phones with headphone Jacks
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

  3. #6103
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    But it has a stupid notch. Not as bad as the one on the iphone x, but still.
    It does indeed. I have no idea why.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  4. #6104
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    4,948
    was very tempted by the Xiaomi Mi A1 but in the end just went for another replacement battery for my Note 3, it still does every thing i need of it and it seems that every new phone has got narrower (which is shit for reading books). This is now my longest owned phone passing my 3210 by 6 months, feels like phone innovation has been on hold for a good long while.

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  5. #6105
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    feels like phone innovation has been on hold for a good long while.
    That's because you've been using the same phone for over 4 years, not because the world hasn't moved on in that time, because it really has.

  6. #6106
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,400
    Colleague asked me for help with her phone, as she couldn't use WhatsApp anymore because the app wouldn't update because there's not enough space left.

    It's a 2014-ish Sony mid level (compact maybe?) Android phone running Android 4.something, 6gb user available memory. 2.4gb taken up by received images and videos in WhatsApp.
    You can't change the save location in whatsapp to the SD card, and even if, it wouldn't have let me because it blocked use until update but updates were blocked due to low memory.

    Catch 22.

    Managed to move the WhatsApp files to the card anyway, they just wouldn't show up in WhatsApp as old media anymore.

    In the meantime I asked her about her contract and if she was willing to get a new phone while getting a contract not from 2013. Now this colleague is older, not super tech savvy, music teacher, esoteric and our life coach for our students. (One of our many approaches to help our students, works for some.)
    She said yes she would and no, money wasn't really an issue. I must confess I suggested an iPhone because there's just so much more music production equipment available for it, especially at Berlin's biggest music equipment store. I did also point towards the Mate 10 Lite and P20 Lite.
    Basically made it dependent on the contract they'd offer her, if it was with the phone somewhere around the price if the iPhone bought separately, she should get that, of not to get a Huawei.

    I did not expect her being so open to new and very expensive hardware.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  7. #6107
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    4,940
    TBH for most people, especially older, iPhone is probs the best phone you can buy. Half of the reason is because if it breaks you just walk into a shop and they fix it.

  8. #6108
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Colleague asked me for help with her phone, as she couldn't use WhatsApp anymore because the app wouldn't update because there's not enough space left.

    It's a 2014-ish Sony mid level (compact maybe?) Android phone running Android 4.something, 6gb user available memory. 2.4gb taken up by received images and videos in WhatsApp.
    You can't change the save location in whatsapp to the SD card, and even if, it wouldn't have let me because it blocked use until update but updates were blocked due to low memory.

    Catch 22.

    Managed to move the WhatsApp files to the card anyway, they just wouldn't show up in WhatsApp as old media anymore.

    In the meantime I asked her about her contract and if she was willing to get a new phone while getting a contract not from 2013. Now this colleague is older, not super tech savvy, music teacher, esoteric and our life coach for our students. (One of our many approaches to help our students, works for some.)
    She said yes she would and no, money wasn't really an issue. I must confess I suggested an iPhone because there's just so much more music production equipment available for it, especially at Berlin's biggest music equipment store. I did also point towards the Mate 10 Lite and P20 Lite.
    Basically made it dependent on the contract they'd offer her, if it was with the phone somewhere around the price if the iPhone bought separately, she should get that, of not to get a Huawei.

    I did not expect her being so open to new and very expensive hardware.

    Tapapapatalk
    Honestly sounds like the target audience for an Apple thingie. Ease of use and availability of a ton of music apps and what not is a big plus. Just not the retarded X. Maybe 8?
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  9. #6109
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Colleague asked me for help with her phone, as she couldn't use WhatsApp anymore because the app wouldn't update because there's not enough space left.

    It's a 2014-ish Sony mid level (compact maybe?) Android phone running Android 4.something, 6gb user available memory. 2.4gb taken up by received images and videos in WhatsApp.
    You can't change the save location in whatsapp to the SD card, and even if, it wouldn't have let me because it blocked use until update but updates were blocked due to low memory.

    Catch 22.

    Managed to move the WhatsApp files to the card anyway, they just wouldn't show up in WhatsApp as old media anymore.

    In the meantime I asked her about her contract and if she was willing to get a new phone while getting a contract not from 2013. Now this colleague is older, not super tech savvy, music teacher, esoteric and our life coach for our students. (One of our many approaches to help our students, works for some.)
    She said yes she would and no, money wasn't really an issue. I must confess I suggested an iPhone because there's just so much more music production equipment available for it, especially at Berlin's biggest music equipment store. I did also point towards the Mate 10 Lite and P20 Lite.
    Basically made it dependent on the contract they'd offer her, if it was with the phone somewhere around the price if the iPhone bought separately, she should get that, of not to get a Huawei.

    I did not expect her being so open to new and very expensive hardware.

    Tapapapatalk
    Honestly sounds like the target audience for an Apple thingie. Ease of use and availability of a ton of music apps and what not is a big plus. Just not the retarded X. Maybe 8?
    I wouldn't throw someone that can already use android (even if its at a basic level) on to ios. They are different enough that you are just going to get confused questions all the time. Better off getting a mid range new (read android 7 or 8) phone because it'll basically work the same way as their old phone except be faster and not have issues with shit like storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  10. #6110

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,283
    Dunno how much they go for in Europe but check the LG V30 if they're comfortable with android and music matters. It's a bit of a media powerhouse with stellar audio. Literally it's main selling point.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  11. #6111
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    I wouldn't throw someone that can already use android (even if its at a basic level) on to ios. They are different enough that you are just going to get confused questions all the time. Better off getting a mid range new (read android 7 or 8) phone because it'll basically work the same way as their old phone except be faster and not have issues with shit like storage.
    Accomodation from Android to iOS takes literally 5 minutes.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  12. #6112
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Dunno how much they go for in Europe but check the LG V30 if they're comfortable with android and music matters. It's a bit of a media powerhouse with stellar audio. Literally it's main selling point.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's not about sound quality.

    It's about stuff like Rode's iXLR that connects XLR microphones via lightning to an iPhone. Or midi keyboards with lightning ports. Or Lightning microphones.

    And quite frankly the level of use was so low a change to Apple is no big deal either. We aren't talking about a tech savvy person. When I pulled up the settings menu, that was new to her.
    nevar forget

  13. #6113

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,283
    Eh that's fair, let's me honest most of the potential android advantages are really only worth it to somewhat tech savvy people. And it's hard to argue that Apple doesn't have more audio production support.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  14. #6114
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    I wouldn't throw someone that can already use android (even if its at a basic level) on to ios. They are different enough that you are just going to get confused questions all the time. Better off getting a mid range new (read android 7 or 8) phone because it'll basically work the same way as their old phone except be faster and not have issues with shit like storage.
    Accomodation from Android to iOS takes literally 5 minutes.
    If they want an iPhone they can have an iPhone and thats fine, all I was saying was I wouldn't force them on to an iPhone because you think it'll be best for them. Some people cant handle the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 despite them being almost identical.

    I would say the same thing to people that were trying to convince a person to change from iPhone to Android. Its the persons choice. (The only time you are wrong is when you chose a windows phone)
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  15. #6115
    OrangeAfroMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20, 2011
    Posts
    7,373
    My S7 Edge has been on the way out for a while (piece of shit samsung/verizon bloatware), and I'm looking to get a new phone.

    Just have a couple requirements:
    USB-C
    Minimal/no bloatware
    Unlocked, works on Verizon
    Easy to root would be great

    Was looking at the Moto G5 Plus but its a bit dated and doesn't have USB-C, Pixel XL looks like it might be good, but pretty expensive. What else to look at?

    Bonus points for source, I have no idea about what would be a reliable place to buy such things
    Last edited by OrangeAfroMan; June 6 2018 at 06:27:01 PM.
    Actually an '06.

    EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

    www.twitch.tv/oameve

  16. #6116
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,973
    I've got the normal pixel 2 (non-xl) and it's pretty nice. The XL was just a bit too big.

    I ended up buying mine directly from Google as it was the quickest and easiest way.

  17. #6117

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    2,774
    Oneplus just released their no:6. Ticks all your boxes and you'll just buy it off their site.

  18. #6118
    Straight Hustlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    10,382
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    My S7 Edge has been on the way out for a while (piece of shit samsung/verizon bloatware), and I'm looking to get a new phone.

    Just have a couple requirements:
    USB-C
    Minimal/no bloatware
    Unlocked, works on Verizon
    Easy to root would be great

    Was looking at the Moto G5 Plus but its a bit dated and doesn't have USB-C, Pixel XL looks like it might be good, but pretty expensive. What else to look at?

    Bonus points for source, I have no idea about what would be a reliable place to buy such things
    Check out the moto z2 play, im loving mine. If you buy through their website you can get it unlocked, the one sold in Verizon stores is their locked and bloated version

    Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

  19. #6119
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    My S7 Edge has been on the way out for a while (piece of shit samsung/verizon bloatware), and I'm looking to get a new phone.

    Just have a couple requirements:
    USB-C
    Minimal/no bloatware
    Unlocked, works on Verizon
    Easy to root would be great

    Was looking at the Moto G5 Plus but its a bit dated and doesn't have USB-C, Pixel XL looks like it might be good, but pretty expensive. What else to look at?

    Bonus points for source, I have no idea about what would be a reliable place to buy such things
    Nexus 5X, or well, any of the Nexus phones, cheaper than the Pixel and still excellent phones

    I've heard good things about the WileyFox offerings too

  20. #6120
    OrangeAfroMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20, 2011
    Posts
    7,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Oneplus just released their no:6. Ticks all your boxes and you'll just buy it off their site.
    Doesn't work on Verizon I think
    Actually an '06.

    EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

    www.twitch.tv/oameve

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •