hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 296 of 296 FirstFirst ... 196246286293294295296
Results 5,901 to 5,912 of 5912

Thread: Mobile Phone Megathread

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Also is rooting worth it? What are the benefits/costs?
    Rooting is so you can change stuff you normally can't. The most obvious have been stated already, ad blockers and UI modifications. The whole battery thing is a massive rabbit hole, better to never go that route IMHO. Although some battery reporting apps can give you more info when they have root, which you can use to identify misbehaving apps, that is fairly handy. Non-root still gives plenty of info these days though.

The downsides are that you'll need to tinker with it much more to keep it all working, and that you compromise security of your phone to an extent (apps with root permission can do whatever the fuck they want without you ever noticing, including installing rootkits etc). You'll get less "it just works" and more "oh it stopped working with this update so now I'll have to find/wait for a solution".

My opinion is that the attractiveness of rooting has been fading for years now. If you look at Android several years ago some of it's UI choices were pretty bad and needed fixing, but Android has become much much better over the years. I've rooted and custom ROMd all of my phones so far, but the number of modifications I've made has been steadily declining. A month ago I bought a phone that doesn't have a rootkit yet and no custom ROM support and so far I haven't really missed it.

And now for something completely different:

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Magnetic charging cable > wireless charging

All the of the benefits, none of the downsides. Costs 15 bucks.

Also Lall check the last couple pages. Between the rants and autism almost all of your questions have been answered. Nowadays I'm partial to Sony because of the reasons allready stated. Ip68, great cam, sleek design, non retarded resolution screens(seriously who the fuck needs more than 1080p on a 5" screen), fast updates, almost stock Android.

Why root?
    UI mods and adblocker (Google ads, YouTube ads)
    Greenify and Amplify can also be greatly improve battery life if you go all in.
    Trying to find the bloatware on my work J5 or one of our Tab A's nope, not there other than the google apps and a few that are actually usefull S Planner Calculator etc.
    My J5 gets charged perhaps 2 times a week, I only have a few calls and i don't use it for anything else though that's what I use my Note 3 for.
    The entire samsung Rom and launcher is bloatware. Thatsthejoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Rooting is so you can change stuff you normally can't. The most obvious have been stated already, ad blockers and UI modifications. The whole battery thing is a massive rabbit hole, better to never go that route IMHO. Although some battery reporting apps can give you more info when they have root, which you can use to identify misbehaving apps, that is fairly handy. Non-root still gives plenty of info these days though.

The downsides are that you'll need to tinker with it much more to keep it all working, and that you compromise security of your phone to an extent (apps with root permission can do whatever the fuck they want without you ever noticing, including installing rootkits etc). You'll get less "it just works" and more "oh it stopped working with this update so now I'll have to find/wait for a solution".

My opinion is that the attractiveness of rooting has been fading for years now. If you look at Android several years ago some of it's UI choices were pretty bad and needed fixing, but Android has become much much better over the years. I've rooted and custom ROMd all of my phones so far, but the number of modifications I've made has been steadily declining. A month ago I bought a phone that doesn't have a rootkit yet and no custom ROM support and so far I haven't really missed it.
    I really miss being able to open the clock or alarm by touching it in the notification bar.
    Also being able to turn on the torch by long press of power or volume buttons. It's little things really.

Currently I cba to root my new Xperia X Performance. From what I've read it's a bit of a PITA on Nougat. Plus I'd have to unlock the bootloader and that kills DRM stuff unless you also go custom kernel route.

I really miss being able to open the clock or alarm by touching it in the notification bar.
    Also being able to turn on the torch by long press of power or volume buttons. It's little things really.

Currently I cba to root my new Xperia X Performance. From what I've read it's a bit of a PITA on Nougat. Plus I'd have to unlock the bootloader and that kills DRM stuff unless you also go custom kernel route.
    LG G6 can turn on the flashlight (or anything you want really) by doubleclicking volume up with the screen off thanks to the Key Plus app. If it didn't my urge to root would be a lot larger than it is right now...

And now for something completely different:

man I think the galaxy was the one I most consistently disliked in that, the colours just seem off to what i'd expect irl in a day like that

Pixel won considerably for me, with G6 being the second.

Huh.

Pretty cool comparison gotta say.

Also pixel.

And Lol Samsung.

Posted von mein Tapashitcunt

Also pixel.

And Lol Samsung.

Posted von mein Tapashitcunt
    I just hate how they're basically putting a filter on the photos by default by modifying the colours. If I want to do that, put a filter on or whatever, *I* want to do it, the way I want to.

Heh, my top was Pixel and bottom was Samsung too. 2nd iphone 3rd oneplus 4th G6. Top 4 were p gud but Samsung was ewwwww.

Heh, my top was Pixel and bottom was Samsung too. 2nd iphone 3rd oneplus 4th G6. Top 4 were p gud but Samsung was ewwwww.
    I'm on a samsung VA panel so afaik somewhere midway between TN and IPS colours wise but to me the biggest difference between them (besides the samsung shitfest) was in the definitions on the red shirt/its collar bit and the reflections, and they showed up the most natural on the pixel and the g6. I'm curious about details on how we perceived the differences and rated them.

+1 Pixel was one of my top 2 but i couldnt be arsed to focus. The one I really disliked on almost every picture was the Samsung, nbs. That post processing /o\ I dont know whats with them but they have been constantly shitting the bed in all their latest flagships.

Not even sure you can get rid of this 'feature' by using say a stock camera (anyone?) :/ my gf's S6 edge+ does passable pics with the back camera, but the front facing one airbrushes the shit out of the pictures (similar effect)
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

I think it might've something to do with their amoled panels. Maybe they need that massive oversaturation to make pictures look good on their own phones ?

Also Xperia X Perf. and XZ got Nougat 7.1.1 update a couple days ago, yay

I think it might've something to do with their amoled panels. Maybe they need that massive oversaturation to make pictures look good on their own phones ?

Also Xperia X Perf. and XZ got Nougat 7.1.1 update a couple days ago, yay
    That makes sense.